High milage Burger......

A whole section dedicated to the Suzuki Burgman
Rocketman122
Current Ride: eee

Re: High milage Burger......

Post by Rocketman122 »

Data wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:47 am You made the right decision eric.

My works Burgman 650 had it's belt go at 45,000 miles. Cost if dealer did it was £2600! It's probably more now. It's a massive job. I did it myself as I'm Suzuki Burgman 400/650 factory trained. It took me about 18 hours of solid graft. Plus several hours of prep. You normally have to replace all the bearings in the gearbox too as they can often be damaged by the belt breakage. It's difficult to tell so replacement is the sensible thing to do.

Normal cause of the belts breaking early is someone wanging it down the road before it's run in. In fact the one that I was given had been 'fast run in' (Motoman technique) by one of the idiots who worked in our engine development plant. He didn't know anything about scooters and in particular the E-CVT system in the Burgman with it's metal belt that has to be run in directly as per the book. Wang it too early and the belt overheats causing it to fail early. It states in the handbook to rigorously stick to the running in instructions, but many folks don't which makes buying a second hand Burgman 650 a real liability. You just don't know when the belt is going to break, and it will break! They all do in the end as there is no recommended replacement time, therefore no one replaces them due to the huge cost and work involved.
I would get a 650 in a millisecond if it wasn't from r the ecvt. Its a massive job I dont think id be able to do. You also need a place to store everything whipe its apart. You cant just do it on a sidewalk like an hours job of the b400 cvt maintenance

It has always been my fantasy scoot but the price tag here in my country is equivalent to around $4500+/- with plates and all. But they are thieving importer here. I buy all parts from us so they dojt get a cent

I would not have touched that b400 with high miles. I did that and all electric issues with switch coupler throttle body c28 code starter corroded battery cables and crnkshaft position sensor and handlebar switches with corrosion were all there and released in a short time after purchase

Btw you are factory trained.. Might you tell me how long wouod the front variator(roller holder/finned plate) usually hold before replacement? Aroujd 40000km would sound right, before it starts to have a valley and grooves from the belt?

Data
Benefactor
Current Ride: 2016 Vespa GTS300ie abs asr

Re: High milage Burger......

Post by Data »

On the B400's the variator can last up to 75,000 miles on one bike, but only 50,000 miles on another. It's all down to how the bike is ridden and what use the bike is put to. Riding it mostly on motorways at speed with lots of acceleration etc will wear it out much faster than someone who rides more sedately on country roads. One bike journalist I knew covered 78,000 miles on his B400 before needing a new variator. There is no actual recommended mileage by Suzuki before having to renew it. It's regarded as a consumable part like the clutch. It just varies on when it needs replacing.
Probably not ugly enough for the 'Ugly Bunch'! :lol:

Been riding for 54 years & owned too many bikes to list here...