Honda Gyro Scoots

A whole section dedicated to the Suzuki Burgman
Jimo
Benefactor
Current Ride: 92 Helix

Honda Gyro Scoots

Post by Jimo »

Not a record breaker powered by a 49cc 2 stroke engine but a novel means of 3 wheel transportation originally developed in Surbiton, Surrey UK in 1966, later sold to BSA where it was introduced in the failed Ariel scooter before it was sold yet again to an Asian company (Daihatsu ?) where it yet again failed before being bought by Honda in 1983.

From then on the design was updated by Honda and has been so successful that it has become a sort of cult vehicle selling by the thousands in Japan but strangely never officially imported into the uk although there are a few about and a few can currently be found for sale on e-Bay.

It so happened that in early April my dear wife Catherine had her 86th birthday , she still drives her Smart Passion that she has had for 20 years but also has pillioned with me on several occasions and has an interest in odd things (finding me in the process!) So as a belated pressey I bought her a previously owned 49cc Honda Gyro CANOPY in white trim complete with box at rear and ideal for local shopping trips. Its 1993 vintage, first registered with DVLA in 2002 showed that some minor work will be necessary before it goes back on the road in May.

As the gyro is a 3 wheeler having rear wheels spaced 18 inches apart our first conundrum was could dear wife ride this scoot/bike on her current driving licence which includes A groups. With the generous help/assistance of Capitano it seems she’s ok to ride it.
It would be interesting to know how many other Gyros there are here in UK together with info on the use they are being put to....

Jim

‘82 Honda Lead 80, '84 Lead 125, ‘94 Honda Helix, ‘79 Honda ST70

Jimo
Benefactor

Re: Honda Gyro Scoots

Post by Jimo »

Lets hear from you Gyro owners, there must be quite a few!

Jim

DTO
Current Ride: X-max 300

Post by DTO »

Was this the one for sale in Clacton on sea ?

Jimo
Benefactor

Post by Jimo »

It sure was! Not sure what the (previous owner) paid for insurance but my insurers Peter James & Co said their brokers would not insure trikes....
After searching the web I came across a company (Markerstudy Insurance Ltd) through BikeSure Ltd insuring trikes who quoted £469 for comprehensive cover for dear wife Catherine who has 40+ years of claim free car driving but no bike riding.
By comparison my insurers have just charged me £139 odd for comprehensive cover for 4 bikes!

With a couple of small jobs done on the scoot it’s now on the road and taxed etc. Except of course that neither of us can use it because of the Lockdown on movement in UK.

Jim

DTO
Current Ride: X-max 300

Post by DTO »

Bit costly to insure considering its basically a moped in size & speed wise , It’s not a big car or bike based trike conversation.

Hope you enjoy using it looks fun to ride .

Jimo
Benefactor

Post by Jimo »

DTO. Yes fun to ride, I’m looking forward to riding it to show Catherine how to cope with it....she’s a little shorthouse and can only just put toes on the ground - so I suggested a pair of ladies motorcycling high boots, she got them and tried them on - makes her some 3-1/2 inches taller and very nice boots they are and she’s well pleased.

Jim

Jimo
Benefactor

Post by Jimo »

Gyros can be found here....https://newminitrucks.com/product/3134- ... ne-basket/

Or here....https://www.for-sale.co.uk/r/Details/ho ... 1370612229

But I’m not in any way connected to either!

Jim

Jimo
Benefactor

Post by Jimo »

After much trolling of the web I’ve now found that www.cmsnl.com can supply almost every part for it... look under cmsnl at Honda TC50 Gyro Canopy 2007(7) Japan TA02-200 parts.

Jim

Jimo
Benefactor

Post by Jimo »

The one thing that will be sorely needed by winter is a storm and rain proof cover - which unfortunately doesn’t exist, so I contacted Oxford Covers to see it they could make one - very quickly they returned my mail saying that they were not interested in producing a ‘One-Off’! I told them I’d look elsewhere -and did so coming up with www.cover-zone.com, this company is more than helpful and has put the process to design and mfg a Tailor Made Apollo cover for the Canopy for a cost of less than £300 which includes journeys directly included in the design process, I’m very pleased with the Company’s promptness and would recommend them to any one wanting a ‘special’.

Jim