STVA

A whole section dedicated to the Suzuki Burgman
Red Dog
Current Ride: Suzuki Burgman 400z

STVA

Post by Red Dog »

09 Burgman 400.
I removed the butterfly from my STV ages ago because of a faulty actuator. There are no discernable side effects other than the F1 light coming on occasionally.
I can theoretically cure this problem by fitting a STVA eliminator from Healtec.
Has anyone had any experience of this please?

PS: I would also be interested in the speedo healer from the same company.

Rocketman122
Current Ride: eee

Re: STVA

Post by Rocketman122 »

stva on burgman 400 is a known flaw in design. I have it on mine. my b400 engine is kaput so will rebuild down the line but I have another ride atm. it sleeps in a coma waiting for accumulation of parts

if you open your stva unit there are plastic gears inside whihc have been said gets worn out. I think 2x8mm bolts hold it together.
I left the valve level to get airflow throw. it does sound more throaty, and mpg takes a hit a bit.

as far as the healtech is concerned, if you look at their site, they do not have a model for the burgman. the one that people sell thats "for" the b400 is not 100% sure it will work. ive spoken to healtech and was told that some have used it with success and others havent had any so they removed it from their site catalog.

you cant see the proper mileage or mpg or do anything with the FI/c28 activated. if you buy, buy from someone who you can return it too. like ebay who will back up your purchase.

Red Dog

Post by Red Dog »

Thanks for replying Rocketman.

I found this on eBay

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Suzuki-AN400 ... 890.l49292

I wonder why they recommend getting the scooter dynoed though, and would it make a difference in my case, i.e. Butterfly valve already removed.

Note: After installation, we recommend having the AFR (air-fuel ratio) of the engine checked by a dyno centre and adjust if necessary.

Rocketman122

Post by Rocketman122 »

I dont even know if you can find someone to dyno and adjust AFR. I have never seen a place that does dyno for motoryclces/scooter and has obd to connect and adjust a burgman.
see this email. not sure you can see the small print.

Red Dog

Post by Red Dog »

Yes I can read it fine thanks, very interesting.

I suspect it's a case of buying the eBay one and seeing how it goes.

Red Dog

Post by Red Dog »

FYI

The actuator on my bike is still connected, just the butterfly is removed and I'm happy with the way it's running at the moment.

Do you think it would run differently with the eliminator connected instead of the faulty actuator?

If not, I could ignore the dyno advice.

Mind you, I wouldn't imagine that most people who use the eliminators bother about the dyno anyway.

Dave Weller
Benefactor
Current Ride: VespaGTS250 Wave110i

Post by Dave Weller »

Please don't keep it to yourselves what's an STVA.
Honda NC750 Manual
VESPA GTS250
Royal Enfield HNTR 350
Honda Wave 110i

Red Dog

Post by Red Dog »

It's a secondary throttle valve actuator. (I knew nothing about them either until recently)

It opens a second butterfly valve in the throttle body. They regularly develop a fault and cause problems like the FI light coming on or sometimes putting the bike into limp mode.

To fix it you usually have to replace the entire throttle body which costs in the region of £650.

I removed the secondary butterfly valve from mine an the bike appears to run perfectly without it.

Now I'm just trying to get the FI light to go out without affecting performance.

Rocketman122

Post by Rocketman122 »

goto the 1:39 and youll see the valve open and close. theres also a 2nd behind that one deeper inside.

its really not right that suzuki doesnt sell the side unit that controls it. buying a whole unit for 1 bad (BAD FLAWED PART) item. like saying "if you want the fillet mignon buy the whole cow".

mine makes plastic gearing noise when I turn the switch on and it does its gearing. I may check the stva unit inside and see what can be done or I may get the healer when i rebuild the bike. not sure.

it will run fine without it. the mpg takes a little hit but the dash doesnt want to clear and its constantly flashing in the middle lcd.

Rocketman122

Post by Rocketman122 »

btw, he didnt solve the problem down the line. it came back.