Cutting out then single spark

A whole section dedicated to the Suzuki Burgman
Reyno
Current Ride: 400 Burgman K9

Cutting out then single spark

Post by Reyno »

Hi can anyone help please, model is the 400 K9 UK spec 25,500 miles, got it as a non runner and found the ignition coil and fuel pump relay had both failed, all good after replacing them, starts on the button but was noisey on tick over, ,sounded like the transmission so off with the cover and belt, Variator and half pulley all had to be replaced. The engine had been run quite a few times prior to changing the belt etc and never cutout but since the new parts have gone on it doesn't want to run for more than 2 minutes before the engine dies and then will not restart most of the time and is just giving a single spark at the plug. If you go to it the following day it will usually start first press of the button but dies again after approx 2 minutes like a wire is getting hot and breaking its connection then remaking at a later time!
Done the check on the crank sensor (resistance and peak volt check) and all seem in tolerance! Rechecked values on the new ign coil and all good, I have been concentrating on the ignition side of things but was wondering if a fuel problem could cut the ignition as well as the fuel supply! The F1 light flashes when you switch back on after the engine dies but putting it in dealer mode shows C00. If you pull a connection off the coil or any sensors it shows the correct error code!
Help please !

Pandrop
Benefactor
Current Ride: Bonneville_Fireblade_Helix

Re: Cutting out then single spark

Post by Pandrop »

I dont know if its any use to you but GSXR750 had the same codes set-up .
C00 meant that there was no F1 fault on the system - it would give an F1 for a TPS sensor fault .
Have you done anything with the throttle that may have created that fault, is there a lead unplugged , worn through perhaps? Another thought is have you changed the standard exhust for an aftermarket jobbie or have the baffles been removed?

Reyno

Post by Reyno »

Hi Pandrop thanks for the reply, I found the fault about an hour ago after spending several weeks and testing this and that.
I read somewhere that the Tip over switch can go faulty so I decided to find it and check its values, pulling the plug from it and switching the ignition on gave the correct C23 error code, I checkd its resistance reading and that was within spec and then there are two low voltage checks to do , one tells the ecu OK to run the engine and the other voltage check is for when the sensor assumes you have dropped the scooter, all checked ok so I fitted it back on its mounting and the scooter wouldn't start, had the single spark again, tapping the sensor body got the scooter running again but again failed ,tap the sensor again and it would run again, taking the sensor off and holding it off the machine (so no vibration) and it ran and ran, interestingly taking it out of dealer mode which was showing C00 no faults it would flash the f1 light after the engine died, so the ecu knows a fault has developed but doesn't give the C23 code when you put it in dealer mode!
I will pull the old switch apart when the new one comes and report on what's gone wrong hoping this will help any other members who suffer a similar problem!

13Brads
Current Ride: Honda S Wing BSA M21 Mash 400

Post by 13Brads »

Wow, good work. I know where to come if I ever get any electrical problems..

Reyno

Post by Reyno »

It's been frustrating, ran fine when I first got it running but coincidently after fitting the Variator and belt that's when the cutting out started!