Startng problems.

A whole section dedicated to the Suzuki Burgman
Red Dog
Current Ride: Suzuki Burgman 400z

Startng problems.

Post by Red Dog »

Last week during a particularly vicious cold snap I attempted to start my Burgman 400 (2009). It turned over as normal but didn't fire up.

The battery soon went flat so I attached some booster cables and tried again. After several attempts it fired, a few more and it started and ran for around 30 seconds before stopping again.

After that it would start after a few attempts and each time it would run a little longer.

Eventually, after reaching operating temperature it ran as normal. I rode it for 20 miles or so including a couple of stops and starts without further incident. Then I put it away and put the battery on charge.

Today, a week later, I tried to start it again with exactly the same performance. Wouldn't start all, then ran for a few seconds etc... Eventually running great when the engine warmed up.

Suggestions for what to check in order of simplicity please.

SH125Paul
Benefactor
Current Ride: SH125 - NC750X DCT

Re: Startng problems.

Post by SH125Paul »

A healthy battery - check the engine / chassis earth and batt terminals, then maybe look to the TPS... Throttle Position Sensor?
Whats the fuel like? maybe top up with new fresh fuel and add some red X?

Rocketman122
Current Ride: eee

Post by Rocketman122 »

"Whats the fuel like? maybe top up with new fresh fuel and add some red X?"

Pauls idea is a good direction. this is what id think first, b400 does not like sitting around a while and not being used. many gas tank stories with them of low miles and gas tank issues.

Red Dog
Current Ride: Suzuki Burgman 400z

Post by Red Dog »

Thank you chaps.

It was a fuel problem. I drained the tank and refilled with fresh stuff and we're all good now.

SH125Paul
Benefactor
Current Ride: SH125 - NC750X DCT

Post by SH125Paul »

Nice... Glad ya sorted...