Clutch slip.

A whole section dedicated to the Suzuki Burgman
Red Dog
Current Ride: Suzuki Burgman 400z

Clutch slip.

Post by Red Dog »

I was trying to figure out how slow I could ride my Burgman 400 before the clutch starts slipping. At first I thought I could find out by noticing at what speed the clutch let's go during engine braking but of course it's not as simple as that.

For instance, uphill at say, 10mph my engine could be doing 5000 rpm. Surely my clutch is locked up then.

Slowing down, I can be doing 20mph at 3000 rpm.

My head hurts.

Jimo
Benefactor
Current Ride: 92 Helix

Re: Clutch slip.

Post by Jimo »

Boy, that bike is causing you a lot of grief....! I know what I would do with it, - in fact i had one and i already did it !!!

Jim
‘82 Honda Lead 80, '84 Lead 125, ‘94 Honda Helix, ‘79 Honda ST70

roadster
Benefactor
Current Ride: Silence S01

Post by roadster »

With standard springs these clutches are not really designed to slip much if at all. This is why they never wear out in normal use. There have been one or two cases, not necessarily Burgman ones, where overheating has been caused by repeated engagement and disengagement such as dog walkers who try to become dog riders, and I can think of one poster who had to ride up a long and traffic infested incline every day and eventually the continual stop-start overheated the clutch and did some damage. It isn't easy to detect clutch lock up during take-off, but judging by the strange noises that some Piaggios made when dust accumulated in the transmission case I think it may be about the same, or possibly even lower, than the release speed when slowing down.
Located on UK South Coast
SYM Joymax 125 and Honda CB300R. Previously Silence S01, Kymco AK550, Triumph Tiger 850, Triumph Street Twin etc...

Red Dog

Post by Red Dog »

roadster wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 4:01 am With standard springs these clutches are not really designed to slip much if at all. This is why they never wear out in normal use. There have been one or two cases, not necessarily Burgman ones, where overheating has been caused by repeated engagement and disengagement such as dog walkers who try to become dog riders, and I can think of one poster who had to ride up a long and traffic infested incline every day and eventually the continual stop-start overheated the clutch and did some damage. It isn't easy to detect clutch lock up during take-off, but judging by the strange noises that some Piaggios made when dust accumulated in the transmission case I think it may be about the same, or possibly even lower, than the release speed when slowing down.

Just the kind if info I was lookng for thanks.

I've had no clutch trouble, the pads look like new and there is no blueing on the housing, but there are a couple of places I go that are outstandingly beautiful and if there is no traffic around I like to ride very slowly so I was just curious about it.

I enjoy scooter chat anyway.

It's chewing the fat that keeps forums alive.

Red Dog

Post by Red Dog »

Jimo wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 3:45 am Boy, that bike is causing you a lot of grief....! I know what I would do with it, - in fact i had one and i already did it !!!

Jim

Thanks Jim.

I've actually had the bike for about 5 years and covered over 20,000 miles with very few issues save for routine maintenance.

When something does go wrong I don't really see it as grief, I quite enjoy trying to solve things, especially with the help of others who have been there before me.

My previous problem was bad fuel so hardly the bikes fault. 🙂

Jimo
Benefactor
Current Ride: 92 Helix

Post by Jimo »

My B 400 covered less than 1000 miles in my possession over 4 years, it was too heavy and too big for my small in stature wife so it had to go, - so I’m ‘up the wrong street’ perhaps, sorry about that.

Jim
‘82 Honda Lead 80, '84 Lead 125, ‘94 Honda Helix, ‘79 Honda ST70

Red Dog

Post by Red Dog »

Jimo wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 9:28 am My B 400 covered less than 1000 miles in my possession over 4 years, it was too heavy and too big for my small in stature wife so it had to go, - so I’m ‘up the wrong street’ perhaps, sorry about that.

Jim
No problem Jim.

PS - I wish I had enough spare cash and space for your Forsight. Surely it's one of the best examples around.