Rear shock absorbers

A whole section dedicated to the Suzuki Burgman
defscoot
Current Ride: Burgman 650

Rear shock absorbers

Post by defscoot »

Hi all,

Not been on here for a while! Hope you're all doing well and staying safe.

My rear shocks on the burgman 650 (2010) have gone really rusty even though it's kept in a garage and I clean it regularly, I just couldn't stop them from rusting.

Also, I think the ride quality of a burgman 650 on bumpy country roads is pretty terrible compared to a motorbike.

So been looking at upgrading the rear shocks.

When I search on ebay for "burgman 650 2010 rear shocks" (or similar search terms) I get a few but the YSS ones are about £160.

However, if I go to YSS site (http://www.yssshocks.co.uk/suzuki.html) and get the part number (TZ362-370TRL-03) and do a search on ebay for that, the same ones seem to pop up but now they're £350.

Also, they all seem to be coming from Italy? Can I not buy them from UK?

Anyone got any advice on what shocks I should be looking at and what price I need to be paying? Obviously want to improve the ride but keep the price down (if that's possible!).

Ta for any responses!

Rocketman122
Current Ride: eee

Re: Rear shock absorbers

Post by Rocketman122 »

the burgman 400 also had a very bad rear shock. front was decent.

wightegi
Current Ride: Forza 300 Honda C90

Post by wightegi »

Any thing from Italy over £135 will be hit with import duty here ,so only buy if the seller can offer duty free at thier end , Italian VAt is 22% plus our 20 on top is a bit much.

poldark
Current Ride: X9 250Evo+B650[F]+NC750X [GB]

Post by poldark »

I know UK-based Hagon do something that will fit as a riding buddy fitted some to an AN650 primarily for long distance 2-up work, he was very happy.

Perhaps if you measure the length (centre to centre) and give them a call. Believe they were circa £200, but this was perhaps 8-10 years back.
Honda NC750X DCT (2017)

Data
Benefactor
Current Ride: 2016 Vespa GTS300ie abs asr

Post by Data »

Both of my 'works' Burgman 650's had real corrosion problems with the rear shocks, and indeed with the whole bike. The only way to stop the corrosion is to use Waxoyl on the chrome. Or ACF50 will probably do it just as well. I did around 25,000 to 30,000 miles a year on both of mine and to be honest, neither of them did very well. Both of them broke their transmission belts and the ride quality was poor. After that, I went with the Burgman 400. In spite of the smaller engine it was far superior over big mileages and vastly more reliable than my 650's. The 400 engines will easily cover 100,000 plus miles if looked after before needing big spannering. It was also about one third of the cost to run when you take into account the broken belts on the 650's (which I replaced myself). I notice on this board that one or two folks who originally bought the 650's to do big mileages on later reverted to the 400 instead finding them superior and more comfortable. ;)
Probably not ugly enough for the 'Ugly Bunch'! :lol:

Been riding for 54 years & owned too many bikes to list here...

defscoot
Current Ride: Burgman 650

Post by defscoot »

Thanks for the answers!

Yeah, I'm a bit dissapointed in the 650 if I'm honest. It looks like a big tourer but it is anything but.

Also, I have had a few conversations at bike cafes with people who swapped to the 400 and were happier.

I think I might sell it rather than spend money on trying to get the ride sorted. Thanks for the info on the shocks though, I will investigate that a bit further.

It's also so stiff to move in the garage that sometimes I think it would be easier to move a Goldwing about than this thing! :-D