Mud n Dirt Covering the Starter motor on 2019 400 Burgman

A whole section dedicated to the Suzuki Burgman
Trevendo
Current Ride: 650 Burgman

Mud n Dirt Covering the Starter motor on 2019 400 Burgman

Post by Trevendo »

Starter Motor on my 2019/2020 400 Burgman. Failed to start on Monday 6th April . Just getting click click when pressing starter button. Got local motorcycle mechanic to remove rear plastic to get to Starter. Discovered its buried in about4 inch of backed on mud. it appears is got that hot that the internals have melted . Not good, 400 has only done 15670 miles. Has anyone else had this experience. Trevor Henderson.

Rocketman122
Current Ride: eee

Re: Mud n Dirt Covering the Starter motor on 2019 400 Burgman

Post by Rocketman122 »

no havent had this issue but I did have to remove the started after getting clicking sounds. brushes on 2 sides were worn out. I couldnt get the proper replacement part but got brushes for a car started and used a dremel to gring it down to size. there was a lot of water and oil inside though. the problem with the bruckman is the concave cavity the starter motor sits in. a lot of accumalated dirt inside.

sounds very odd it melted inside. to stop working is fine and even broken magnets, but melted? very very odd. have you pulled the starter yet? clicking sounds is the starter relay top right near instrument cluster. im so skeptic of every mechinc, I now am certain they have failed components for each vehicle and pull it off the shelf and say "see it melted" and then takes your good one, refurbs it and sticks you with a high bill. too many shady mechanics. and you cant verify is they are legit. you only take their word for it.

not an issue to rebuild the starter yourself. If the part is the same as the 2007+ model, its quite easy to do. the biggest pain in the ass is bodywork and the braid of wires going everywhere to reconnect. finding each connector to its place. ridiculous.
make sure you sand down the ground and positive posts so you get a good connection. I knew nothing about the burgman and where the starter was. after taking it apart once, its very easy. its just stressing first time around with "how the hell will I get to the starter its buried so deep. it isnt. its just a pita to take apart. just time. basic tools. like 8/10mm sockets extensions. contacts cleaner, philips screwdrivers, sandpaper. maybe some dielectric grease.

Ralph
Current Ride: Yamaha X-max 300 300

Post by Ralph »

I made a sort of curtain out of a old inner tube that fitted just in front of the rear wheel
it made a massive difference to how much muck got on the engine and into the air filter.
It's not pretty but you don't notice it if you don't know it's there.

Ralph
Nr Fleetwood
Yamaha X-max 300
Ariel NG 350
AJS Model 18S.

icon_maxi_scoot.gif

Data
Benefactor
Current Ride: 2016 Vespa GTS300ie abs asr

Post by Data »

I agree with the sentiment of 'Rocketman' concerning some mechanics. But, most are ok and do a perfectly good job. I've seen starter motor internals melted before but not on the Burgman.

If you do rig up something to deflect the water and mud away from the back of the engine, care is needed. The Burgman is designed to have a through flow of air from the front air intakes behind the front wheel, with that air flowing over the entire engine and flowing mostly out the back of the bike over the rear wheel with some air directed out underneath the engine. Obstruct that airflow with a 'curtain' of some kind, even a small one, and the engine temperature can and might rise quite a bit. It may not matter if you only do local or shorter trips but at high speeds for long periods on the motorway that airflow restriction can be a hazard, increasing engine wear and causing the oil to break down much earlier than it should especially in summer heat.

How do I know this? I have measured the engine temperature and oil temperature under simulated test condition on my own 400 Burgman, albeit the earlier model. This was a few years ago now but I remember oil temps going over 114c with the curtain fitted in ambient temp of 21 deg C. That's near to the oils breaking point if using the semi synthetic oil they recommend. I did this on the dyno and on the road during real testing with approximately the same result. Normal oil running temp is around 95-100C depending on ambient temp. On a freezing cold day oil may not go above 90c on a long run, so it varies of course. The fact my bike was the earlier model is of no consequence as the bikes are essentially the same regarding airflow. Not saying don't do it but be careful if you do.

I decided not to put a mud or water protection curtain in place on my Burgman due to that temperature rise. But I never had any issues with mud or water getting around the starter. I did check that area often though.
Probably not ugly enough for the 'Ugly Bunch'! :lol:

Been riding for 54 years & owned too many bikes to list here...

Rocketman122
Current Ride: eee

Post by Rocketman122 »

yes, mine had gravel and dirt in the cavity but not in the hole. I took the starter out, cleaned the cavity, used some grease on the oring on the end of the starter head and slipped it in. the oring should hold anything from getting in. not the optimal design from suzuki.

2wheelover51
Current Ride: 2012 Burgman 400 Limited

Post by 2wheelover51 »

I've done this on every bike and scooter I've owned together with fenda extenders, waxoyl etc. My present Burgman already has one, fitted by a previous owner.