What a difference!

A whole section dedicated to the Suzuki Burgman
2wheelover51
Current Ride: 2012 Burgman 400 Limited

What a difference!

Post by 2wheelover51 »

Well after having my 400 for a few months it was fair to say that the takeoffs were getting a bit jerkier ( :) ) and there was a quiet "groaning" noise coming from the rear..
Following Datas advice I opened up the cvt casing and took off the clutch and variator, cleaning out the dust and giving the shoes a deglaze and roughing up the bell with some emery cloth as well as looking at the weights (19g) and removing the slight flat spots on them. Checked the belt and it ties up with it being new last year as the dealer said.
The variator air filter was filthy, so it got a good wash in hot soapy water, and the weights and ramps were cleaned with brake cleaner, and the small quantity of filthy gearbox oil swopped for some fresh 10-40.
Took it for a ride this morning after I'd finished putting it all back together. What a difference it's made. Like riding a new bike for so little effort... :)

Rocketman122
Current Ride: eee

Re: What a difference!

Post by Rocketman122 »

good stuff. happy to hear youre set and enjoying the scooter.

2wheelover51

Post by 2wheelover51 »

My Grand daughter has bought me a Givi D266 as a 70th birthday present, just waiting for it to arrive and when that's on I should have a perfect Burgervan 400!
Now the variator etc. is fixed I think the burger is quite close to my old 500 TMax on the getaway. I'm pleasantly surprised.
Next "investments" might be some 21gm weights, Pollini variator etc :shock: . :)

steve_h80
Current Ride: silverwing 600

Post by steve_h80 »

I experienced the same improvements after doing the transmission and clutch over the winter.
I'd done the old Italian tune trick (rear brake and give it a handful to deglaze the pads) which works for a bit but does release a load more dust which gets everywhere and I'm not sure the heat is good for the bell.
A good clean out and the clutch block moved smoothly on their pins, the weights glide up and down their ramps easily etc. I going to do this as an annual winter fettle.

Data
Benefactor
Current Ride: 2016 Vespa GTS300ie abs asr

Post by Data »

Steve, you probably won't need to do it every year. That depends of course on the number of miles you do and the sort of use you put the bike to ie: mostly town work or motorway, country riding mostly, if you see what I mean. Also as long as you move off feeding in the throttle to lock up the clutch early, it'll go for a good while before you need to do it again. I used my Burgman for all types of riding and usually didn't have to touch the clutch, variator etc in between belt and roller changes. That's every 14,500 miles without any judder to speak of. Most Burgmans will do that as long as the riding style during take off is correct.
Probably not ugly enough for the 'Ugly Bunch'! :lol:

Been riding for 54 years & owned too many bikes to list here...

steve_h80
Current Ride: silverwing 600

Post by steve_h80 »

You're most likely right, but it'll give me something to do over winter when the weather isn't up to riding.
It's riding the hills two up that did for my clutch blocks last year which is why I was in there. Still they withstood 28k miles of abuse and only cost about £60 - I just wish tyres lasted that long :lol:

Data
Benefactor
Current Ride: 2016 Vespa GTS300ie abs asr

Post by Data »

Yes the tyres go out quite often. Can't quite remember what I used to get out of mine but somewhere in the region of 10k was fairly normal I think. My Vespa GTS tears them out every 8k miles, but they are much cheaper than on the Burgman so I'm happy! :)
Probably not ugly enough for the 'Ugly Bunch'! :lol:

Been riding for 54 years & owned too many bikes to list here...

2wheelover51

Post by 2wheelover51 »

Well the screen finally arrived after a 3 week wait (Givi D266AF) and my grandaughter having to pay a stupid amount of duty on it. I watched the Mickbergsma video before fitting, he made it look sooo easy.. What a job! Although I had fitted one to my Mk 3 TMax I don't remember it being such a pain as this one. The wind was blowing a hooley and both of my knees were hurting, so probably making me a bit short tempered, but getting the Wellnuts back into the right positions (fairy liquid and all) while trying not to scratch the screen and all the other bits took me most of the day. I found I had to use a cushion to support the back of the screen while I fitted the Wellnuts. I also had to buy more 5mm bolts from Halfrauds and saw them to size, then the wind blew my dish of nuts and bolts off the seat and all over the ground...then when trying to pull out of the car park to test it I noticed the hand guards were fouling the edges of the screen stopping full lock, so had to be taken off.. Eventually all fitted correctly and took it for a short test ride.. Fantastic! What a transformation, no turbulence at all. Well worth the effort.. :)