I Am Not Happy

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

I Am Not Happy

Post by MrGrumpy »

This year is proving to be a complete nightmare scooterwise....

I've already had two punctures on my 2009 Tmax, requiring new tyres. The rear was fixable, but the AA wrecked it putting in a temporary plug.
I've paid a fortune to have the brakes on both Tmaxs cleaned and serviced after the winter crud and salt.
On the 2017 Tmax, the Lambda sensor failed - this cost £200 for something the size of a spark plug.

Now....
Yesterday, I was alarmed to see liquid stains under the 2017 Tmax when I got it out. A quick inspection revealed that some sort of fluid was still coming out in the area around the centrestand, and that it wasn't water. It seemed a strange place as its well away from the engine - my first thought was that there was a brake fluid leak but rear brake works fine. However, the leak mysteriously stopped yesterday evening. Rode cautiously to workshop this morning, and found it was leaping an bouncing over bumps, which led me to a revelation - rear shock absorber! This was confirmed when I got to the workshop. Managed to find a suspension expert, but there aren't any service parts for the rear shocker, so its a complete new Unit. That's......wait for it.......£400. Not happy. Looking for an aftermarket part, but they seem to be sporty designs which are even more expensive.

Of course, the irony is that the original weird design on the mk1-5, at the bottom or the bike where it got covered in crud, NEVER failed. So Yamaha come up with a trendy new design....and it fails.

Dave Weller
Benefactor
Current Ride: VespaGTS250 Wave110i

Re: I Am Not Happy

Post by Dave Weller »

It reminds me of why I got rid of my second hand 12000 mile Tmax which was 10 months old when I got it and kept it only for a few months. The rust under the bike around the rear damper and linkages was set in after just one winter, the brake calipers and discs shot and the forks corroded. I liked the scoot, but costing out the price of the replacement parts the scoot had to go.
Honda NC750 Manual
VESPA GTS250
Royal Enfield HNTR 350
Honda Wave 110i

horobags
Benefactor
Current Ride: RE 350 classic vision 110

Post by horobags »

we pay too much for riding on two wheels these days, car parts are cheaper than scoots/bikes. Crazy !!
Im not a gynecologist, but I dont mind taking a look.

roadster
Benefactor
Current Ride: Silence S01

Post by roadster »

Have you tried Hagon for a shock absorber quote (0208 502 6222)? They can match any basic unit and if you don't want any fancy damping adjustability you might save a bit. Spares are a nightmare for anything from the far east and only a little bit better for European manufacturers.
Located on UK South Coast
SYM Joymax 125 and Honda CB300R. Previously Silence S01, Kymco AK550, Triumph Tiger 850, Triumph Street Twin etc...

blackmoon181
Current Ride: SH300i + NC750x

Post by blackmoon181 »

how many miles on your 2017 tmax? shocks wear out over time unfortunately and most as you've found the hard way aren't rebuildable. i've had to replace shocks on my sh300 at 31000 miles fortunately they are cheap £80 for aftermarket and my NC750x at 20000 miles for £270 for aftermarket!! both bikes needed new front brake discs this year due to hairline cracks! £60 & £130 respectively. put it down to the bumpy poorly maintained scottish roads!

lamda sensor is an interesting one!

Maintenance can be like buses eh? :D

MrGrumpy
Benefactor

Post by MrGrumpy »

blackmoon181 wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:37 am how many miles on your 2017 tmax? shocks wear out over time unfortunately and most as you've found the hard way aren't rebuildable. i've had to replace shocks on my sh300 at 31000 miles fortunately they are cheap £80 for aftermarket and my NC750x at 20000 miles for £270 for aftermarket!!
It's only done around 11,000 miles! 4 years old in June, though it spent 4 months with the dealer after a bearing in the transmission failed, wreaking havoc. Not to mention replacement of the CVT, drive belt and centrestand under service recalls and the failure of the lambda sensor! Yamaha reliability is not what it was........

I've found a Bitubo shocker for £440....only a little more than the Yamaha item, but is adjustable and custom setup to your weight and riding style. There are several good UK aftermarket makers, but they've never heard of the Tmax, and would have to start from scratch. Bitubo are Italian, so they will know all about Tmaxs!

blackmoon181
Current Ride: SH300i + NC750x

Post by blackmoon181 »

wow 11k is low. i'd be expecting many more miles before the shock would have given you problems. Bitubo are popular with the modern vespa community. heard good things. not used them personally though. check out Y.S.S are a budget aftermarket shock manufacturer based in thailand. big dealer here. can recommend.

you may have a got a lemon unfortunately. i swear i had that with my BV350.

MrGrumpy
Benefactor

Post by MrGrumpy »

I looked at the YSS website, but they didn't list the Tmax - Majesty, Yes, but no Tmax. As I've said, the unusual original underslung shock design on the Tmax mk1-5 NEVER failed, so the market for aftermarket Tmax shocks, especially in the UK, was rather limited. Yamaha have changed to a much more conventional design for the mk6-7, and it fails.

Rocketman122
Current Ride: eee

Post by Rocketman122 »

"MrGrumpy
I Am Not Happy"

I wouldnt have thought otherwise. I like you Grumpy. you say things as they are. I respect that.

sorry to hear for your troubles. this year has been hell with tons of trauma for me as well. I also had my tire on the b400 which was new, have an immediete flat tire within a weak. may I recommend you have a kit of "stopNgo" under the seat. I carry a tiny air compressor as well .run the bike while you fill it with air and turn everything off like lights so it doesnt drain the battery. I also carry some extra tire sealant. ive had 2 plugs in 2 different tires for over a year and they work fabulously. they say its temporary but I think thats to remove lawsuits against them. they hold very well.

sorry about your rear shock but I would look no further than ebay for used parts. some good reputable sellers ive bought parts from.

Im assuming you do not do any maintenance on the bike? shame. brakes pads are very easy to do. filters and oil at a minimum can save you a lot of money over its time.

because im able to do my own work, with the money saved im able to buy equipment needed. im certain there are tons of videos on how to do the brake pads

I hope the year forward will see you with trouble free miles. after the rear shock replacement.

"Yamaha reliability is not what it was........"

with your issues being severe and frequent, this seems to be so.

MrGrumpy
Benefactor

Post by MrGrumpy »

Well, the new tyres on mk3 are now full of Punctureseal....we shall if I have better experiences with than before! No doubt I shall get a puncture on the mk6 when I get it back on the road....