Honda Helix CN250

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
Deleted User 4154

Re: Honda Helix CN250

Post by Deleted User 4154 »

Pandrop wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 4:50 am I just read Jaz' comment about there may be only being about 40 Helix scooters in the UK in Jim's Helix model thread and wondered if anyone knows a way to find out exactly how many are actually left on the road in the UK, it would be interesting to know from a rarity point of view.
Yeah, it's howmanyleft.co.uk. The trouble with this is that the DVLA routinely didn't record model details on V5 documents. So, all you will see on there are CN-250L and M models. The Ls are the official imports that arrived here between 1989-92; all of which were dark red when they got here. We current have 31 250Ls and 5 250Ms taxed and MOTd. But that's only part of the story - there are 91 250Ls on SORN (one of mine in there!) and 12 250Ms.

Then you have to consider the others: grey imports from the states and further afield - these often had nothing in the 'model' field, and as such don't get counted. US imports post-1992 are relatively common; this is how dealers satisfied the (tiny) demand for the machine after official imports were curtailed. Some - like my 1986 Fusion - made it here as 'container fillers' from Japan as part of consignments of more mainstream machines. I know of two other Fusions registered in the UK; I'd love to know if mine was the oldest! There's no way of knowing, sadly.

Jimo
Benefactor
Current Ride: 92 Helix

Post by Jimo »

Well - mine is ‘on the road’ so to speak, although it’s with a repairer at the moment it’s MOT’d and taxed to end of September 2021.
The repairer is rectifying cause of vibration not accident repair which involves a total dismantle & rebuild.

Jim
‘82 Honda Lead 80, '84 Lead 125, ‘94 Honda Helix, ‘79 Honda ST70

maxiscootnz
Benefactor
Current Ride: various

Post by maxiscootnz »

Jaz wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:03 pm
Pandrop wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 4:50 am I just read Jaz' comment about there may be only being about 40 Helix scooters in the UK in Jim's Helix model thread and wondered if anyone knows a way to find out exactly how many are actually left on the road in the UK, it would be interesting to know from a rarity point of view.
Yeah, it's howmanyleft.co.uk. The trouble with this is that the DVLA routinely didn't record model details on V5 documents. So, all you will see on there are CN-250L and M models. The Ls are the official imports that arrived here between 1989-92; all of which were dark red when they got here. We current have 31 250Ls and 5 250Ms taxed and MOTd. But that's only part of the story - there are 91 250Ls on SORN (one of mine in there!) and 12 250Ms.

Then you have to consider the others: grey imports from the states and further afield - these often had nothing in the 'model' field, and as such don't get counted. US imports post-1992 are relatively common; this is how dealers satisfied the (tiny) demand for the machine after official imports were curtailed. Some - like my 1986 Fusion - made it here as 'container fillers' from Japan as part of consignments of more mainstream machines. I know of two other Fusions registered in the UK; I'd love to know if mine was the oldest! There's no way of knowing, sadly.

Hopefully this is on subject, if not i am sorry. To me its more to no the details or production details. The bikes DNA !! . Like you its nice to no how many are left as we who love our machines want to justify any expenses we spend on them . If anyone is interested i have decoded the vin numbers that will tell you the factory it was produced in etc. Some will no this or not . If you want the explanation then i can help
Honda fc50 beat, dragster180, spacey250, cn250 Helix , C1(192) k100rs, r1100s

maxiscootnz
Benefactor
Current Ride: various

Post by maxiscootnz »

Actually do not send a reply on the above post. I will not reply. Send me a pm along with your vin number . I will help anyone i can as long as you are part of this original posting since 2013 7 yrs ago. If you have just joined this thread. To bad sorry. It may take a few days depending on how inspired i am to dig out the files
Honda fc50 beat, dragster180, spacey250, cn250 Helix , C1(192) k100rs, r1100s

Pandrop
Benefactor
Current Ride: Bonneville_Fireblade_Helix

Post by Pandrop »

Top Man ! I will PM you this evo......your morning ......my tomorrow ...errrmm you know what I mean.

Deleted User 4154

Post by Deleted User 4154 »

This is no big deal... Honda had 11 digit VINs from 1979 to 1995. They work like this:

e.g. MF021009999
M: cc (A=up to 50, D=up to 70, H=up to 80, J=up to 125, K=up to 150, M=up to 250, N=up to 400, P=up to 600, R=up to 800, S=up to 800)
F: type of motorcycle (B=kids bike/ATC, C=Street, D=Enduro, E=OHV/Offroad bike - not street legal, F=Scooter)
02: internal production number
1: version
0: series
09999: serial number

Pandrop
Benefactor

Post by Pandrop »

Every day is a school day ...cheers Jaz, I dont know any of that info .

Jimo
Benefactor

Post by Jimo »

Definitely no engine/rear wheel dirt deflector! See P12/P13
http://www.motorscooterguide.net/Manual ... Manual.pdf

Jim

Pandrop
Benefactor

Post by Pandrop »

Hmm the plot thickens

Jimo
Benefactor

Post by Jimo »

Today I’ve collected my Helix from my repairer, I gave him a box full of parts including the replacement crankshaft, new engine hanger unit, new set of HAGON shocks for back and front and other pieces on 28 October.
He contacted me yesterday to say the job was completed......the upshot of the work being that after test riding the bike and noting the tremendous vibration he doubted that the crankshaft was the cause and turned his attention to the engine hanger which was found well mashed about. With new hanger, bushes and O rings fitted, the HAGON shocks were fitted as well as a replacement carburettor adapter (made from resin instead of the original rubber). Riding the bike away from the repairer was a complete joy, the old vibrations are completely gone and the ride is really good especially with the new shocks, almost like having a new bike after 18 months languishing in the garage riding has become a real pleasure again.

Jim