Honda Helix CN250

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
Deleted User 4154

Re: Honda Helix CN250

Post by Deleted User 4154 »

Great stuff Jim, well done!

Pandrop
Benefactor
Current Ride: Bonneville_Fireblade_Helix

Post by Pandrop »

Jaz wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:03 pm
Pandrop wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 4:50 am I just read Jaz' comment about there may be only being about 40 Helix scooters in the UK in Jim's Helix model thread and wondered if anyone knows a way to find out exactly how many are actually left on the road in the UK, it would be interesting to know from a rarity point of view.
Yeah, it's howmanyleft.co.uk. The trouble with this is that the DVLA routinely didn't record model details on V5 documents. So, all you will see on there are CN-250L and M models. The Ls are the official imports that arrived here between 1989-92; all of which were dark red when they got here. We current have 31 250Ls and 5 250Ms taxed and MOTd. But that's only part of the story - there are 91 250Ls on SORN (one of mine in there!) and 12 250Ms.

Then you have to consider the others: grey imports from the states and further afield - these often had nothing in the 'model' field, and as such don't get counted. US imports post-1992 are relatively common; this is how dealers satisfied the (tiny) demand for the machine after official imports were curtailed. Some - like my 1986 Fusion - made it here as 'container fillers' from Japan as part of consignments of more mainstream machines. I know of two other Fusions registered in the UK; I'd love to know if mine was the oldest! There's no way of knowing, sadly.
Cheers for that info there Jaz, I saw one on fleabay a week or so ago, complete wreck, all sunburnt, no keys , rotten seat etc so thats another one gone . Would it be an idea to creat our own UK 'register' of known Helix/ Fusions so that we can track them?

Pandrop
Benefactor

Post by Pandrop »

Jimo wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 12:47 pm Today I’ve collected my Helix from my repairer, I gave him a box full of parts including the replacement crankshaft, new engine hanger unit, new set of HAGON shocks for back and front and other pieces on 28 October.
He contacted me yesterday to say the job was completed......the upshot of the work being that after test riding the bike and noting the tremendous vibration he doubted that the crankshaft was the cause and turned his attention to the engine hanger which was found well mashed about. With new hanger, bushes and O rings fitted, the HAGON shocks were fitted as well as a replacement carburettor adapter (made from resin instead of the original rubber). Riding the bike away from the repairer was a complete joy, the old vibrations are completely gone and the ride is really good especially with the new shocks, almost like having a new bike after 18 months languishing in the garage riding has become a real pleasure again.

Jim
Really pleased for you Jim, I bet you were grinning all the way home . :D

muddyfox
Benefactor
Current Ride: Yamaha 250r x max

Post by muddyfox »

Great news on 2 fronts. Scooter fixed and Jimo riding again.
Muddyfox (Nottingham)
Ride safe

Deleted User 4154

Post by Deleted User 4154 »

Pandrop wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:12 am Cheers for that info there Jaz, I saw one on fleabay a week or so ago, complete wreck, all sunburnt, no keys , rotten seat etc so thats another one gone . Would it be an idea to creat our own UK 'register' of known Helix/ Fusions so that we can track them?
Was that the one with the scabby scooter blanket, odd coloured rear wing and a mixture of US red and UK burgundy panels with, as you say, sunburn patina? If it was then I'm pretty sure it was bought by someone I know :geek:

A register would be a nice idea given that there are only 50 or so roadworthy survivors. I know of a handful of Fusions that made it to the UK, but only one that survives (besides my one) and none as old as mine.

Pandrop
Benefactor

Post by Pandrop »

Jaz wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:36 pm
Pandrop wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:12 am Cheers for that info there Jaz, I saw one on fleabay a week or so ago, complete wreck, all sunburnt, no keys , rotten seat etc so thats another one gone . Would it be an idea to creat our own UK 'register' of known Helix/ Fusions so that we can track them?
Was that the one with the scabby scooter blanket, odd coloured rear wing and a mixture of US red and UK burgundy panels with, as you say, sunburn patina? If it was then I'm pretty sure it was bought by someone I know :geek:

A register would be a nice idea given that there are only 50 or so roadworthy survivors. I know of a handful of Fusions that made it to the UK, but only one that survives (besides my one) and none as old as mine.
No the one under the scabby blanket was a fully working one, went for just under £500- the one I saw a couple of weeks ago was a proper wreck and went for about £150 I think, I did think about it as a donor vehicle but it had been left outside for so long that everything was sure to be seized solid or rotten so not worth the hassle to ship it up north tbh.

Jimo
Benefactor
Current Ride: 92 Helix

Post by Jimo »

Tartan Cobbler wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 7:18 am 125 Lead.... That brings back memories, my mum had one brand new in 1986, I was a couple of months away of being old enough for my first moped, Dad had a GL 500 Silverwing and loved nipping around on mums scoot
TC if you’d like one mine is now for sale and rebuilt to AS NEW condition, is licensed and on the road, M.O.T.’d until March 2021 PM me if interested.

Jim
‘82 Honda Lead 80, '84 Lead 125, ‘94 Honda Helix, ‘79 Honda ST70

wightegi
Current Ride: Forza 300 Honda C90

Post by wightegi »

GL 500 Silverwing I have one ..in bits..

Tartan Cobbler
Benefactor
Current Ride: nothing

Post by Tartan Cobbler »

Thanks guys...awesome memories but I think they are best left as memories

Jimo
Benefactor
Current Ride: 92 Helix

Post by Jimo »

T’was over a year ago that I had my only OFF riding the Helix! At the time I put it down to the type of (rear) tyre and slightly low pressure, riding the bike now - with the new engine hangar fitted shows that the slackness in the old hangars pivot shaft (that allowed the whole engine assembly to wobble thereby constantly altering the rear wheel tracking) was more likely the cause of the OFF because now the road holding is really firm and kind of direct (if that makes sense?

Jim
‘82 Honda Lead 80, '84 Lead 125, ‘94 Honda Helix, ‘79 Honda ST70