Honda Helix CN250

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
Jimo
Benefactor
Current Ride: 92 Helix

Re: Honda Helix CN250

Post by Jimo »

Time to prepare the Helix for its visit to the transplant surgery (www.MattPopeMotorcycles.co.uk) for its dissection and fitting of replacement crankshaft together with other things including fitting new HAGON Shocks to the front and rear of the motorcycle......she’d stood on the lift ramp for a year and managed to drain most of her engine oil onto the lift platform - all from a single drip from its drain plug! Wow!
In preparation it’s engine was refilled with oil after refitting it’s drain plug, simples? Yes, but here it was found that some previous ham-fist ‘fixer’ had damaged the 12mm plug’s threads (through over-tightening) and drilled & re-tapped the orifice to14mm with the added complication of non-vertical (out of true) drilling leading to the aforementioned leak, at this point in time I’d ordered but not yet received a quantity of copper compression washers for the job so a flat copper washer was installed as a temporary measure knowing that the fresh oil would soon be drained in the forthcoming rebuild process, the bike was wheeled off the lift ramp back onto the concrete floor of the garage from where in a few days it would go to the repairers.
Removing the bike after just 4 days it was noticeable that a drip from the drain plug had already made its tell tale mark on the floor! By this time the ordered compression washers had arrived but too late for immediate installation so the appropriate washer was included in the bike’s ‘repair kit’ for later fitment to remedy the leakage once and for all.

Jim
‘82 Honda Lead 80, '84 Lead 125, ‘94 Honda Helix, ‘79 Honda ST70

Deleted User 4154

Post by Deleted User 4154 »

Jimo
Benefactor

Post by Jimo »

OH DEAR,
O dear
- how dear?
Well I don’t know yet but I’ve located a model making company who can make me a 1/18th Scale Helix - next question how much? Well it won’t be cheap I’m sure so what would be helpful is some kind of list of owners that would commit to purchase..... this company is in uk and production is also in uk, they even model liners measuring several feet in length and they are “WOW” - breath-taking! https://polaris-models.co.uk/index.html

I’ve kicked off by sending them photos of my Helix plus a few line drawings so we’ll see where we go next! The company is in Potters Bar, Herts.

I know there are a lot of folk after such a model, a awful lot in fact, so if interested enough to put money down let me know - and NO - I’m NOT TAKING ANY MONIES just possible orders. PM me if you like.

Jim

Jimo
Benefactor

Post by Jimo »

The bike is in for repairs, the new c/h boiler is in and working so we’re warm again. Having ridden the bike the repairer is unconvinced about the crankshaft being faulty so is looking at other options including the engine hangar and bushes which is also supplied, so we wait to see.....

Jim

Pandrop
Benefactor
Current Ride: Bonneville_Fireblade_Helix

Post by Pandrop »

Jimo wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 2:36 pm The bike is in for repairs, the new c/h boiler is in and working so we’re warm again. Having ridden the bike the repairer is unconvinced about the crankshaft being faulty so is looking at other options including the engine hangar and bushes which is also supplied, so we wait to see.....

Jim
Cheers for the updates Jim, lets hope its the cheaper of the two jobs :)

Pandrop
Benefactor
Current Ride: Bonneville_Fireblade_Helix

Post by Pandrop »

I just read Jaz' comment about there may be only being about 40 Helix scooters in the UK in Jim's Helix model thread and wondered if anyone knows a way to find out exactly how many are actually left on the road in the UK, it would be interesting to know from a rarity point of view.

Jimo
Benefactor

Post by Jimo »

Hers’s something interesting - that piece of rubber? That holds the carb on, a recent advert for a genuine piece says ‘rubber in good condition and still flexible’ used price $23.32 (£18.04) + pp

Compared with a unit made from hard type of resin....seen the other way round for the CH250
(I’m fitting one to mine) to see if it fits ok.

Jim

Jimo
Benefactor

Post by Jimo »

Pandrop wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 4:50 am I just read Jaz' comment about there may be only being about 40 Helix scooters in the UK in Jim's Helix model thread and wondered if anyone knows a way to find out exactly how many are actually left on the road in the UK, it would be interesting to know from a rarity point of view.
There is a Muppet who knows exactly how to find out.....but I don’t !

Jim

GrahamH
Current Ride: Honda Helix

Post by GrahamH »

Googgle 'how many left'

Jimo
Benefactor

Post by Jimo »