Tyre's for the SH300

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
terryvanman
Benefactor

Tyre's for the SH300

Post by terryvanman »

Over here on sunny Malta the roads are as slick as a slick thing, the SH is sliding around [even in the dry] especially as I pull out of side roads and exit off roundabouts....I've found a nice guy who's looking after and maintaining the scoot and he recommends that I change the tyre's from the continentals that come with the scoot from new [7 years old now and with lots of nylon in them] to a more stickier tyre. He suggest Pirelli. so my question is, If I was back in the UK what should I be paying for them?.... tyres are very expensive here he is asking 180 euros fitted is that a good price? The tyres on the scoot have only covered 3000 miles. :cry:
Dear God,
Please send clothes for all those poor ladies
in Daddy's computer. Amen

Steve_D
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda SH300i

Re: Tyre's for the SH300

Post by Steve_D »

It really is irrelevant what they cost in the UK if you are in Malta unless you are going to bring the scoot over here to get them fitted. Look up the online price of the tyres that you can buy them for in Malta then see whether the difference between that and €180 is worth it but a the end of the day, you're in Malta so they cost what they cost over there. Just part of the price of living in sunny Malta. Presumably other things are cheaper over there to compensate - I'm sure I remember you saying in other posts how cheap it was to live over there.
Paddle harder. I can hear banjo music!

Honda SH300i

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

Now when you say €180, I hope that is for both or each??? Thats about £166. If that's for both (incl, fitting), that doesn't sound too bad - in the UK they aren't going to come in for much less than £50 each plus fitting. For comparison, Tmax radials which are much more expensive come in at around £100 each plus fitting.
There again, if the €180 is each.......ouch.
Whilst getting rid of a set of old Contis may be a good idea, whether fitting Pirellis instead is the solution I'm not sure. There again, being Italian, perhaps they work better in hot dry climates than the cold damp UK one!

horobags
Benefactor
Current Ride: RE 350 classic vision 110

Post by horobags »

Hi terry, this can go two ways. Stick with the stock tyres, and adjust your riding to the Maltese road conditions. I know they are shitty, Ive ridden quite a lot in Malta in the past. Remember new tyres will improve the scoot but not the roads.
Shell out on a new set with better grip, that price sounds ok to me if it includes fitting. Once scrubbed in new tyres will build confidence improving your ride enjoyment, but your still riding on glazed roads!!
Im not a gynecologist, but I dont mind taking a look.

SH125Paul
Benefactor
Current Ride: SH125 - NC750X DCT

Post by SH125Paul »

I just paid £100 for a pair of Mich city grips to loose rims... Which i think was a great deal...
Factor 10 a wheel for loose rims or say £25 for them taking a wheel off and putting back on...
Check oponeo on line...
Tyres £45 - £65 depending on size and grip...
Sounds fair-ish for the whole job...
€180 / £160...
Nice grippy tyres, if little risk of rain.. Nice while they last...
Enjoy! Cos thats what its all about!

poldark
Current Ride: X9 250Evo+B650[F]+NC750X [GB]

Post by poldark »

I also think 180 Euro for the pair sounds pretty reasonable, provided the Pirelli's in question are latest radials [Diablo Rosso SC?] not older bias-plys.

Also worth keeping the guy "onside" if he's handy and good for servicing jobs rather than going elsewhere to save 10/20 Euro, which he'll know next time you visit with new rubber installed.

Hope you're both well and enjoying the Mediitaranean lifestyle and sun - daft question really!!!
Honda NC750X DCT (2017)

terryvanman
Benefactor

Post by terryvanman »

Thanks guys for the info...I'm going to go for the new tyres as recommended by Ray the mechanic (nice guy) I've been riding around the island for nearly a year now on the original tyres that according to Ray have gone hard (7 years parked in the street back in UK didn't help) Tyre are 75 front 85 rear and 20 Euro fitting so not too bad.
Horobags, yes your right about the roads, like glass but the scooter is still the best way to get around the island especially when the tourist arrive and add to the chaos.....bloody foreigners :kiss:
Dispite the dodgy roads and nutty drivers Malta is still the best move we ever made and yes things are a lot cheaper here than back in London. Only power tools are very expensive compared to U.K. Just about everything else is either the same or cheaper.
One thing I must say is the local Maltese are so friendly, most of the new friends we've made and there are loads (mainly through the local classic cars and motorbikes clubs) we spend more time outdoors mainly because of the weather and the tradition of eating out from 5 star resurants to hole in the wall cafes with a couple of tables on the pavements.
Dear God,

horobags
Benefactor

Post by horobags »

glad your happy Terry, we will be back next summer for a week ( in Gozo). 8-)

terryvanman
Benefactor

Post by terryvanman »

horobags wrote:glad your happy Terry, we will be back next summer for a week ( in Gozo). 8-)
no problem for me....I get a discount on the ferry..being a resident and an old fart...So I'll come over to you.. you can buy the beer ;)
Dear God,

horobags
Benefactor

Post by horobags »

terryvanman wrote:
horobags wrote:glad your happy Terry, we will be back next summer for a week ( in Gozo). 8-)
no problem for me....I get a discount on the ferry..being a resident and an old fart...So I'll come over to you.. you can buy the beer ;)
8-) sounds good Terry, I'll let you know when we're coming. I'll have to save up some good jokes!! :D ;)