A Winter Burgman ?

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
XP500FUN
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda WibbleWing 600 Love it

A Winter Burgman ?

Post by XP500FUN »

Hi decided to look for a winter ride Burgman 400, so could really do with some advice please.

I think an older version is lighter ( and cheaper ), though the later ones look snappier ?

What I would like to know is MPG`s, and also what the ride quality, handling etc is like compared to scooters I`ve had exerpiance of like a T max or Silverwing please.

Particularly bump absorbtion, as unsprung etc and will be mainly on poorer roads.

Reliability type things version wise too would be handy please as well.

Basically any thoughts etc would be good before I start trundling around in a few weeks time.

Thanks Mark.

andyscooter
Benefactor
Current Ride: gilera runner vxr200

Re: A Winter Burgman ?

Post by andyscooter »

to be honest I always had a lighter scoot for the winter as the burgman would be a bitch to keep upright on ice

never dropped it though so cant say how hard it would be to pick up
i was an atheist until i realised i am god
Remember its a speed limit not a target

gilera runner vxr200 (chavped)

Globs
Current Ride: Piaggio X10 350

Post by Globs »

Suzuki's corrosion resistance would steer me toward Honda or Yamaha TBH, and I would look at 300cc for lighter weight and better economy.

Also early Burg 400s are slugs as I found out on a test ride.

XP500FUN
Benefactor

Post by XP500FUN »

Thank you people, good advice there by the sound of it.

I`ve not ridden through winter for years but finding an hour a day on a scoot reduces my blood pressure far more than the meds so planning to do a few days a week this year in the dark ages.

Well it seems to take ages to get back to lighter warmer times.

It was like a switch was flicked at the end of august here as we went in to September.

Best Mark.

The Bern
Benefactor
Current Ride: Silverwing 600

Post by The Bern »

Stick with what you've got & change your riding style to suit the conditions, buy a spare pair of rims & fit City Grip Winter's jobs a good 'un, way cheaper than two insurances, two road tax's & another big initial payout
Have wheels, will travel :D

2wheelover51
Current Ride: 2012 Burgman 400 Limited

Post by 2wheelover51 »

Aye that sounds like good advice to me! I have to say I've never even considered buying a "winter hack". I just know I've got to go easier and do more cleaning and fettling through those winter months. It might be a different case if I had a long daily commute to work however and owned a brand new Panigale :D :?

Scootypuff snr

Post by Scootypuff snr »

Mark

I think the B400 is an excellent comfortable scooter but obviously down on top speed etc compared to the Hondas & Yam. For me personally the seat was the best long distance comfort I've owned to date

Older versions had issues the later better but service costs at dealers expensive every 4K and points at 16000.

I tend to use a 125/110 cc as a winter ride and also the CVT is less brutal on snowy roads (I don't have to ride them now) though insurance premiums have rocketed on small bikes due to theft.

If it's purely for therapy winterise your current ride and money saved will pay for a spring strip down.

If your after a winter "hobby" then trawling the private ads & looking at s few machines bartering a deal is fun and passes time. In which case learners bikes offer more choice but inflated prices due to market demand but there are some nice piaggio ET2/4s out there for the £600 Mark good engines fun to work on and not the end of the world if dropped (but metal dents don't pop out easily)

Scootypuff snr

Post by Scootypuff snr »

PS B400
About 55/65 mpg. Sits comfortably at 70mph drinks oil at prolonged high speed.
Suzuki fasteners love to whiten after rain, paint thicker on a postage stamp.
I recall better ground clearance than a silverwing
Underseat storage best in class (later model)
Screen meh (as most off the shelf) suspension acceptable but not going to set the world alight and lean angle nice but centre stand can dig in if used in gusto.

XP500FUN
Benefactor

Post by XP500FUN »

Thanks for all the great advice.

My silverwing is so shiney the thought of taking it out in the salt and grot etc !!!

But running 2 is going to be much more expensive.

A dealer said to me before I bought mine, be careful as many Silverwings have had a very hard time in winters.

Saying that the way the weather is going its probably better to stay in, in front of the fire !!!

I wonder what they are predicting for this winter, last was very mild really.

I bought the Silverwing without seeing, or riding it, but don`t usually do that.

I`ve got 4 wheels so maybe just popping in to the garage and sitting and starting the Silverwing will do.

I do that anyway. Oh Dear !!!

Thanks again. Mark.

PS rims and winter city grips sounds like a very good idea.

Steevw
Current Ride: Burgman 125

Post by Steevw »

I was using my 09 plate Burgman 125 over last winter, no problems at all. The only thing that started showing rust was the exhaust.

If the thought bothers you, just strip the plastics off and add your own rustproofing, it doesn't matter how rough it looks because the plastics will hide it.
Gone for a counselling session with Prof Burgman. icon_maxi_scoot.gif