New Xmax 300

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
StephenC
Benefactor
Current Ride: Kymco DT X360

Re: New Xmax 300

Post by StephenC »

Was having a chat with another psco the other day. He had an 18 plate 300. Agreed the main beam was awful.

They have heated grips fitted as standard. But his bike broke down a little while ago because the glue to secure the grips melts when hot! :lol:
Expert in Close Quarters Combat Filtering
Can is not the same as Should

Greyerbeard
Current Ride: Any of the below

Post by Greyerbeard »

We're all different shapes and sizes and riding positions, but FWIW -
I have an MRA X-Screen on the top of my screen, set so it doesn't affect the view ahead, with the screen in the high position. Not perfect but it smooths the air a lot; I ride with my visor up, up to around 40 mph and only need it half down above that.
Handlebars definitely better for me in the forward position.
Agree about the excellent performance and economy.
The ride quality...is struggling with our ever-worsening roads! I soon learnt not too lean too hard against that silly 'back rest' on bumpy stretches... But handling/steering is excellent most of the time.
I use my heated grips all the time in winter, under Tucano Urbano muffs, and nothing has melted!
1981 Triumph T140ES
1989 Honda C90
2019 Triumph Street Scrambler 900
2021 Honda Forza 350

Deleted User 7142

Post by Deleted User 7142 »

Another one for the sports screen here i just find it better, but i also am only a fair weather rider.
Intersting point about the heated grips as i was thinking about getting some fitted.

RobiXmax
Current Ride: Yamaha XMax 300

Post by RobiXmax »

Slight change of subject here but am interested to hear from any bigger mileage owners of the XMax 300 (15 - 20k plus), and how they are getting on with costs, reliability, how the condition is holding up after 2 or 3 winters etc. I ask as mine has just 5.5k miles on it (but is still mint) and is my only bike. I wobbled recently (metaphorically not literally ) and was thinking I might go back to a motorcycle, with thoughts in mind for touring, more advanced rider training etc but tbh have been enjoying the Yam so much recently amd not really convinced I need "more", probably a case of heart over head. So if I end up keeping longer term I'd like to know what I;m in for.

Greyerbeard
Current Ride: Any of the below

Post by Greyerbeard »

'Stuck' on around 3.5K at the moment (!) so can't help much with that I'm afraid; though I can't say I like the look of the exhaust downpipe and I'm on my second replacement front disc. Otherwise, still well impressed with it and happy to keep it for the forseeable.
Re. advanced training - no reason not to do it on the Xmax, surely? Or did you mean 'observing' people on Fireblades, etc!
1981 Triumph T140ES
1989 Honda C90
2019 Triumph Street Scrambler 900
2021 Honda Forza 350

Deleted User 7142

Post by Deleted User 7142 »

Its a something i'd like to know myself too as mine has just gone out of warranty but only has two thousand miles on it and spends most of its time in the garage.
I've also been considering a change to maybe an XADV but don't like the idea of having to look after a chain again plus they are expensive.

Ralph
Current Ride: Yamaha X-max 300 300

Post by Ralph »

Ralph wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 1:17 pm 12000 mile service, belt £64 would have done at least another 3/5000
valves in spec and on the slack side so they wont get touched for at least another 24000,
air filters definitely needed changing transmission one £7 air filter set £19,
Valve cover gasket £10,
Oil filter £2:36.
Will likely have a look at the air filters at 6000 next time.
It is still on it's org front tyre the rear was changed 9000 but it would likely have done at least 10000 but for puncture.
Needs another front disc but waiting on Yamaha to decide on warranty don't expect any problems but if I have to
buy one it will be a EBC as I am not impressed with the Yamaha ones.
I posted this some time back, since then it's had a new front tyre, it had a bit more thread left but was starting
to tram line a bit so it was changed, at 12700 miles, the rear did about 9000 miles but may have done 10 or 11
but it got a puncture so changed a bit early.

If you click on the Fuelly banner you can see fuel ups and notes as to how it's gone.
Ralph
Nr Fleetwood
Yamaha X-max 300
Ariel NG 350
AJS Model 18S.

icon_maxi_scoot.gif

StephenC
Benefactor
Current Ride: Kymco DT X360

Post by StephenC »

I did about 15k miles on mine before it was wiped out in a smidsy. No problems with it at all, although the servicing was expensive.
Expert in Close Quarters Combat Filtering
Can is not the same as Should

RobiXmax

Post by RobiXmax »

Greyerbeard wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 2:44 am 'Stuck' on around 3.5K at the moment (!) so can't help much with that I'm afraid; though I can't say I like the look of the exhaust downpipe and I'm on my second replacement front disc. Otherwise, still well impressed with it and happy to keep it for the forseeable.
Re. advanced training - no reason not to do it on the Xmax, surely? Or did you mean 'observing' people on Fireblades, etc!
I may be able to but my local IAM group for instance stipulate min engine power of 35hp. I did it many years ago on a ZZR600. It has now expired, you might be surprised at how fast some of the them ride. But I haven't enquired in person yet so I'll see. The XMax certainly "feels" more than its modest output looks on paper.

RobiXmax

Post by RobiXmax »

A random question and only partly related to the 300....I recall somewhere either on this thread or elsewhere on MM a discussion between the merits or not of the 300 v 400 XMax. I think someone might have tested both bikes back to back? Does anyone recall or know where the thread is? And on a separate matter, I was asked why the 300 has a 14in rear rim and the 400 only a 13in....I didn't know. Any ideas please?