Tmax DX Dead! Won't start

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
EvilRacer329
Current Ride: Yamaha T-Max DX

Re: Tmax DX Dead! Won't start

Post by EvilRacer329 »

I can very much sympathise. Only bike I was ever beaten by. I imagine BMW owners feel like this all the time...

In the end I had a £400 bill for labour, no parts. I'm crossing my fingers for a cheap repair for you!

Nick

Cloudswiper
Current Ride: TMAX 530 DX 2019

Post by Cloudswiper »

Thanks Nick

Cloudswiper

Post by Cloudswiper »

She lives!

Just back from Yamaha main dealer.
Had a long chat with the mechanic.
When they took it in he thought this will be a 5 minute job.
Oh no!
After trying everything I had and a lot more besides he talked to a Yamaha guru at another branch who said he had dealt with this on 3 other Tmaxs
A phone call to Yamaha tech department (who us mere mortals are not allowed to talk to) and they diagnosed a faulty immobiliser box.
There is a secret (for obvious reasons) bypass procedure so my bike now works fine without the immobiliser being connected.
£170 for all this.

We live and learn.

chippie
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-MAX MK3

Post by chippie »

8500rpm wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 5:00 pm I will update you as soon as I get some feedback from the Yamaha dealer. I just hope it won't be there for 3 weeks...
Wouldn't trust a dealer to sort it.Read a lot of post like this on MM over the past twelve months.Before I did anything I'd sling a new battery on it if it works great if not you've got a spare battery.

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

Cloudswiper wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 1:39 pm
After trying everything I had and a lot more besides he talked to a Yamaha guru at another branch who said he had dealt with this on 3 other Tmaxs
A phone call to Yamaha tech department (who us mere mortals are not allowed to talk to) and they diagnosed a faulty immobiliser box.
There is a secret (for obvious reasons) bypass procedure so my bike now works fine without the immobiliser being connected.
£170 for all this.
I find this bizarre, though entirely par for the course these days! And typical of Yamaha technology these days it seems. I am puzzled in that I thought the immobiliser would be so hard wired that it couldn't be bypassed. The obvious question is why a new immobiliser box couldn't be fitted, but I presume the cost would insane and would probably involve replacing most of the bike electronics...
One thought arises though: my insurance company demanded I supply specific details of the immobiliser systems on my bikes, even though they are entirely standard Yamaha kit. If your bike gets nicked, and the insurance company find out that your immobiliser system wasn't working, then they will almost certainly refuse to pay out, even if the existence of the immobiliser wasn't relevant to the theft.

iansoady
Current Ride: X-Max 250 + Norton ES2

Post by iansoady »

Of course the person who nicked it probably disabled the immobiliser.......

MrGrumpy
Benefactor

Post by MrGrumpy »

iansoady wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 6:56 am Of course the person who nicked it probably disabled the immobiliser.......
Don't be daft, you are thinking rationally! I'm thinking about how Insurance companies operate!

Cloudswiper

Post by Cloudswiper »

Bit of a dilemma.

If I tell my insurance company that the immobiliser has been bypassed they may say the bike is un-insurable.
My only real concern with insurance is to cover me against 3rd party damage/injury.
I would be willing to run the risk of losing a theft claim as the bike is kept in a relatively low risk area in a locked garage and seldom left parked when out & about.
Would be happy to accept a premium on insurance for lack of immobiliser but rendering it un-insurable would force me to fit a new - probably crazy expensive - immobiliser.

mottza
Admin
Current Ride: 2023 Honda ADV350

Post by mottza »

If its under warranty, then they should replace the immobiliser.
2023 Honda ADV350 & 2020 Honda Super Cub 125

MrGrumpy
Benefactor

Post by MrGrumpy »

Well yes, if it is under warranty, I would demand its fixed properly. Even if its just out of warranty I would try and make a claim through your dealer. They do sometimes pay out. I probably should have done this with my failed shock absorber, but getting the bike to a Yamaha dealer was too difficult and I was just keen to get it back on the road.