Tmax DX Dead! Won't start

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
Capt. R Swipe
Benefactor
Current Ride: 2023 Forza 350 YamT7

Re: Tmax DX Dead! Won't start

Post by Capt. R Swipe »

It's a cracking forum here Nick, with plenty of Muppets that give me my daily fix of news, knowledge and wisdom and a lovely dollop of cynicism! I love it here and I'm lucky enough to be tolerated!

I'd love to get back to something bigger but have been biding my time for the right 'whip' to go further afield on. It's great to hear that you've sorted the problem and endorse the Tmax.

70K on your V-Strom is 'going some'; a mate of mine has ordered the Yam Tenere T7 and is hoping that it might tempt me back onto a bike and away from a bigger scoot,when it eventually turns up! Looking forward checking it out though.

EvilRacer329
Current Ride: Yamaha T-Max DX

Post by EvilRacer329 »

Every motorcycle is different, scooters are just another kind of two-wheeled conveyance. I've had 50cc and 125cc scooters before and thoroughly enjoyed them, but each of my bikes serves a different purpose, provides a different kind of experience. I'm fortunate enough to be able to afford to keep a couple of different ones at one time, but I thoroughly encourage you to explore all avenues before deciding. Not to self-promote, but if you have a quick look at my site you'll see that I arrived at the T-Max for a very specific reason, and via a rather unusual route...!

Nick

Stephen
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda Forza 350

Post by Stephen »

I’ll be opting to use Max this Saturday as i can see us doing 300 miles maybe more,Northampton down to Nells in Gravesend,then a ride around Kent for ice cream somewhere 8-) then back home,not much choice but to use M1/M25 so the cruise control is ideal,although the seat is comfortable i may even dig the airhawk gel seat out :D hopefully the weather will hold out,perhaps not quiet so hot,but dry would be nice.

Steve
Honda Forza 350

Ride Safe Ride Upright
"Better to be late in this world,rather than early in the next world"

EvilRacer329

Post by EvilRacer329 »

Nice! I'm trying to avoid putting too many miles in mine before my 3,000 mile tour at the end of next month or I'll risk being half-way through the Alps when the tyres wear out and the oil needs changing...how long do the tyres last on these bikes?

Stephen - I notice that you've got both a T-Max DX and an X-ADV; I've got a friend who's interested in switching to scooters for health/mobility reasons and is weighing the two up. What would you say are the pros and cons?

Nick

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

EvilRacer329 wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 5:02 am Nice! I'm trying to avoid putting too many miles in mine before my 3,000 mile tour at the end of next month or I'll risk being half-way through the Alps when the tyres wear out and the oil needs changing...how long do the tyres last on these bikes?
How long is a piece of string?? It varies hugely with how and where you ride. I'm notoriously hard on tyres for some reason. I got 4600 out of the OE Bridgestones on the mk6.This is better than I sometimes get - often only got 4000 out of almost any tyre on the mk3, though I'm getting rather more with the Michelin PR4s. Some people will effortlessly get 10,000 miles on any tyre on any scoot.......
Note that recent Tmaxs are almost unique in wearing out the front tyre before the rear. Frankly, if you are going on a 3000 mile tour, I'd put new tyres on before you go, unless you are going somewhere where Tyres are easily available.

muddyfox
Benefactor
Current Ride: Yamaha 250r x max

Post by muddyfox »

Mr Gumpy in answer to your question "How long is a piece of string??"
It is twice as long as half it's lenght. :D
Muddyfox (Nottingham)
Ride safe

EvilRacer329

Post by EvilRacer329 »

Interesting...I get quite good mileage on my motorcycles, 10-12k from fronts, 6-9k from years on the 'Strom and maybe a little less on the Steet Triple. I guess I was looking to see if the smaller wheels and different load distribution might make a difference. 4k is alarmingly low for something that only makes 44bhp...

Nick

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

EvilRacer329 wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:15 am 4k is alarmingly low for something that only makes 44bhp...

Nick
Welcome to my world!!! No idea why I get so few miles It maybe that I do very few relatively gentle urban miles, but most of what i do is pretty fast out of town stuff. I don't even normally square off tyres particularly. As I said, someone else will be along soon saying how they've never got less than 8000 miles out a Tmax tyre!!

EvilRacer329

Post by EvilRacer329 »

Huh; that's fairly concerning. Day one is 500 miles of french autoroute, so I guess we'll see what happens! On the plus side I'll be in Italy for much of the trip where getting T-Max tyres shouldn't be too difficult... ;)

Nick

Stephen
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda Forza 350

Post by Stephen »

EvilRacer329 wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 5:02 am Nice! I'm trying to avoid putting too many miles in mine before my 3,000 mile tour at the end of next month or I'll risk being half-way through the Alps when the tyres wear out and the oil needs changing...how long do the tyres last on these bikes?

Stephen - I notice that you've got both a T-Max DX and an X-ADV; I've got a friend who's interested in switching to scooters for health/mobility reasons and is weighing the two up. What would you say are the pros and cons?

Nick
Got both my tyres changed on Max at 5,600 miles,went for the Bridgestone Battleaxes,i thought the front would last a bit longer,like it did on my big burger,a few of us have been through this discussion on my new tyre thread earlier,MrGrumpy seems to eat his tyres up more rapidly than me,we all have different styles of riding.

I love both....but if your friend has health problems,its got to be the Tmax,its much lighter,easier to get on the center stand,more underseat storage,the center tunnel is a bit lower as well,proper feet forward,if he’s coming from a manual machine to a CVT it’ll be strange at first,but he’ll soon realise the benefits.

Steve
Honda Forza 350

Ride Safe Ride Upright
"Better to be late in this world,rather than early in the next world"