Going dark for a few days...

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
Pukmeister
Benefactor
Current Ride: 2011 Tmax + 2019 R1250GSA

Going dark for a few days...

Post by Pukmeister »

I started out with a 25Mhz Intel 386SX processor, 512K ram and a 40 Mbyte HDD with a VGA screen. (A 486@33Mhz with SVGA was cutting edge).

The last PC I built about 5 years ago was a full-on Intel i7 top spec multi screen gaming rig for my teenage son which cost me about £2700 to build. It is still a capable machine even now and surprisingly still not slow or outdated so it was value for money, he took it with him to BIMM in Brighton (Uni studies) along with an i5 based iMac for music production.

I am now slowly becoming a grumpy old Luddite who can no longer be arsed with technology, I much prefer simple stuff that just works. Must be an age thing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rayb
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda SH300

Re: Going dark for a few days...

Post by rayb »

I started out with a ZX81 and invested in the "massive" 16KB RAM upgrade.

capitano
Admin
Current Ride: Burgman + Cub90

Post by capitano »

Pukmeister wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:41 am I am now slowly becoming a grumpy old Luddite who can no longer be arsed with technology, I much prefer simple stuff that just works. Must be an age thing?
It is ... because that describes my ageing process too.

I treated myself to an iMac in 2010. It's never failed to do anything I ask of it (which also decreases as I get older) and I still have it. The only replacement part has been a new keyboard, which was down to me, my love of a morning espresso and some momentary balance issues. :lol:

Pukmeister
Benefactor
Current Ride: 2011 Tmax + 2019 R1250GSA

Post by Pukmeister »

rayb wrote:I started out with a ZX81 and invested in the "massive" 16KB RAM upgrade.
We were too poor as kids to even have an amstrad ‘pong’ TV console (with about 6 monochrome tennis-based games).

A spoilt schoolmate had a ZX80 and he bought a ZX81 upgrade for it, we sat in awe in his bedroom as he bravely took it to bits with shaky hands and upgraded it. Games loaded from audio cassette.

Things have come such a long way since those days.

SH125Paul
Benefactor
Current Ride: SH125 - NC750X DCT

Post by SH125Paul »

Frogger, Hungry Horace and Horace Goes Skiing...
ZX Spectrum...
My kids don't belive it...

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

I can't work out how anyone achieved anything at work in the old days...when I started, computer access was down a phone line at horrific cost and the idea of everyone having at least one computer on their desks would have seemed like a lunatic fantasy! How did we communicate before e-mail???

Whatsisname
Benefactor
Current Ride: Burgman 400 K5

Post by Whatsisname »

I think I still have all or most of the Amstrad Action covertapes. in the loft. They used to give them away with every magazine. Mine was a 6128, which also had a 3 inch disc drive, and a colour monitor as oppsed to the green screen!
I wake up every morning with a smile upon my face,
My natural exuberance spills out all over the place!

rayb
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda SH300

Post by rayb »

MrGrumpy wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:04 am I can't work out how anyone achieved anything at work in the old days...when I started, computer access was down a phone line at horrific cost and the idea of everyone having at least one computer on their desks would have seemed like a lunatic fantasy! How did we communicate before e-mail???
Amstrad was a customer of ours when I worked for Western Digital. It was their £350 PC that made it affordable for every desk to have a computer on it. Big mistake. Managers who managed and had secretaries to type their letters, started typing their own. A huge waste of their time.

Maxsymuppet
Current Ride: Maxsym 600i

Post by Maxsymuppet »

mottza wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:41 am Nice, my recently updated pc is now a Intel i5 8400, 16Gb DDR4 2666 RAM, nVidia 1050Ti 4Gb Video, 240Gb SSD and 2Gb SSHD. Runs lovely.
Whatever that means!

Maxsymuppet
Current Ride: Maxsym 600i

Post by Maxsymuppet »

Pukmeister wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 5:02 am
rayb wrote:I started out with a ZX81 and invested in the "massive" 16KB RAM upgrade.
We were too poor as kids to even have an amstrad ‘pong’ TV console (with about 6 monochrome tennis-based games).

A spoilt schoolmate had a ZX80 and he bought a ZX81 upgrade for it, we sat in awe in his bedroom as he bravely took it to bits with shaky hands and upgraded it. Games loaded from audio cassette.

Things have come such a long way since those days.

I've still got one of those old Amstrad games in the loft. Might be worth a few quid by now. As for the ZX81 my brother started with one and he is now a programmer earning around twice as much (at least) as I do. It inspired him to go to university to do a degree in computing. Little acorns and all that.