Will you Be riding the roads. ?

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
Deleted User 7077

Re: Will you Be riding the roads. ?

Post by Deleted User 7077 »

Has been maxi tours wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 4:28 pm Just been watching foo fighters 2008 Wembley on you tube jeez amount of people crammed in shoulder to shoulder frightening in " Times like these " yes folks still got it :lol: :lol: :lol:

2020 covid version every one watches on their own and 10 on screen .Times like these

[bbvideo] [/bbvideo]

XP500FUN
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda WibbleWing 600 Love it

Post by XP500FUN »

Why would a cyclist not have to observe social distancing at all ?

Going past you 6 or 7 feet you may be OK ? but not a few mm`s.

I think when you go past someone in a car you are expected to have your windows up, well I did read that.

capitano
Admin
Current Ride: Burgman + Cub90

Post by capitano »

XP500FUN wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 8:43 am Why would a cyclist not have to observe social distancing at all ?

Going past you 6 or 7 feet you may be OK ? but not a few mm`s.

I think when you go past someone in a car you are expected to have your windows up, well I did read that.
Everyone should observe social distancing, whether walking, cycling, running.

There are no different rules for any activity. Nobody suggested that there were.

Closing your car windows while passing someone isn't official guidance. In fact if you apply it to taxis/ubers etc it's contra to official guidance to maintain ventilation.

Deleted User 7077

Post by Deleted User 7077 »

Whatsisname
Benefactor
Current Ride: Burgman 400 K5

Post by Whatsisname »

There's a few bikes dotted about Bridport/West Bay harbour (on the cam) in darkest Dorset. The car parks are closed, but there's quite a lot of people about. I can't say it's not tempting though!

I wake up every morning with a smile upon my face,
My natural exuberance spills out all over the place!

XP500FUN
Benefactor

Post by XP500FUN »

Well this evenving I put the battery back in the Scooter and blasted off for a 40 mile near toodle about, going round, not too far away on country roads and a quick walk at one point so kosher.

To say I enjoyed it would be an understatement, the twist of the throttle and rush of 600cc power.

I actually wore a mask under the helmet and put the visor down when I went past walkers and cyclist etc too. For them as much or more for them as for me.

Got back to find the chap at the local small pretrol station was still there, and he put the pumps back on for me so filled up while quiet using gloves.

One thing I did notice in the countryside there were no walkers or push bikers with masks on.

I know its outside but I`m a big believer in blocking what I blow out for other people. Even on the scooter.

Lovely evening and may sneak out again one evening for another walk/ride etc too. Hope so. Nothing is too certain at the moment.

Waldorf
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda Forza 350

Post by Waldorf »

Good for you!

I've been riding the Silverwing the 20 minutes to Tesco every Wednesday since lockdown commenced although I took the car today as I wanted to buy some large flower-pots.
Mike
Honda Forza 350 - Adso
NIU electric moped - HAL
"Ignorant people will always be afraid of what's different and will always mock what they don't understand."
Capitano

Proud to be a member of the Ugly Bunch

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

Went across to the dales yesterday. Traffic seemingly fully back to normal levels - in fact rather like bank holiday levels! People still driving weirdly - some seem baffled by roundabouts, people still pulling out in front of you. On a long straight wide stretch of road, someone had managed to turn sharp right into the hedge! Can't imagine what happened there.

XP500FUN
Benefactor

Post by XP500FUN »

I called my son to do the tax for me on his phone, and he said should you go out on the bike dad, and the police might stop you.

They do apparently stop bikers and ask why, where.

But I said well look at the beaches and parks etc etc on the news.

People are flocking and packed in etc, eating take away food with no hand washing then touching things and money etc.

I only went near the garage chap for a few secs 4 odd metres, masked up, and gloves on at the garage. hes then looked at the pump and wrote it down after I went to put it on my bill. We are lucky though there. They have it set up so usually you take out your cap out, stand back away etc, they come out and fill it for you, and they wear gloves, and they then go, you go back and pop your cap in. Paying i`m not sure as I have a bill but they do have contactless. Its only one person in the shop part and they are behind a screen I think. No queing or anything.

Did`nt go in any shops etc or buy food or anything, or go near anyone else, so pretty sure its Ok to use the bike to get to a place to walk.

Its worth noting for us a friend of mine said they think petrol pumps was probably one of the very big spreaders, as people nibble thier fingers, pick thier noses, eat, etc in cars, no hand washing, touch the pumps, the next person does the same once back in the car and does the same and Bingo.

So if you go in the car or on the bke make sure you take or get some gloves to do it. I put on 3 pairs of thinish poly ones, Took the cap out with one hand, other hand got the pump, Filled up. Then put the cap back in and peeled the first two pairs off in to themselves carefull not to touch my wrists while doing it, then the last pair over those so contained if you will. But you can see why a garage pump would be a big spreader.

I think the take away food and icrecream thing etc when out is a big mistakle spread wise myself. They should of kept eating in the home really.

I did`nt think go where you like was a good idea until we have less cases, 12K + a day estimated is still a lot.

Its usually about 4 or 5 times the daily figure as testing is not general yet and no tracing.

Worrying times. But at least it means we can get out on the bike to go and exercise.

The Dales sounds great, what a spot.

I think I will stick to odd evening rides with a walk myself. But I felt a lot better after the ride.

But going anywhere does feel like a risk to me myself.

Take care if you do get out.

capitano
Admin
Current Ride: Burgman + Cub90

Post by capitano »

XP500FUN wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 5:08 pm.
One thing I did notice in the countryside there were no walkers or push bikers with masks on.
Because they don't have to, and it's part of good risk management not to ask them to?

Think of virus spread via breathing where a viral load, strong enough to cause harm is a cup of ink.

Chuck a cup of ink in a sink of water and put your hands in. That's the equivalent of using public transport. Likely you will get ink on them. So wear a mask to make sure you aren't emitting that viral load.

Chuck it in a bath of water, that's like visiting a supermarket. Less chance of getting that viral load on someone, but still enough to warrant wearing a mask to prevent the risk.

Now think about the outdoors, in the countryside. That's like chucking that cup of ink in the sea. Unless you are right next to where it lands, it's highly unlikely you'll get any ink on you. Even if you are there , the tidal forces, like the wind outside, will disperse it enough.

The benefits to the population of being able to be outside, in the open air, and exercising far outweigh the risks of contracting a viral load, especially if social distancing is met by the majority.

Disincentivise going out to exercise by asking everyone to wear a mask everywhere, and a lot of that benefit will be lost, because folks will simply decide that they can't be bothered, and will go for a drive with the windows up and the air con blasting instead.

There is nothing to stop you wearing a mask anywhere you want to, and nobody should be ashamed of doing so. Likewise nobody should be shaming anyone for not wearing one where the risks are very low.

8-)