250 mile round trip tomorrow. Government says it’s ok.

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
Data
Benefactor
Current Ride: 2016 Vespa GTS300ie abs asr

Re: 250 mile round trip tomorrow. Government says it’s ok.

Post by Data »

Excellent Stibbs. It's a trip I intend to do myself to tend parents graves. Glad it went well. ;)
Probably not ugly enough for the 'Ugly Bunch'! :lol:

Been riding for 54 years & owned too many bikes to list here...

Dave Weller
Benefactor
Current Ride: VespaGTS250 Wave110i

Post by Dave Weller »

Well done, sorry I cant read the write up fully, I need to test my eyes.
Honda NC750 Manual
VESPA GTS250
Royal Enfield HNTR 350
Honda Wave 110i

Data
Benefactor

Post by Data »

Dave Weller wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 10:16 am Is the press running the country these days, nagging away on the same old topic, while much more important things are going on, sack Knenssberg and Preston for not doing their jobs.
Totally agree about sacking Kuenssberg. There are a few others I'd do away with also. Their job is to report the news not make it, as they are always trying to do these days.

As for Mr Cummings, I think it's difficult for any of us to make a judgement due to the highly inaccurate and blatantly untrue stories concerning so much of what he did or didn't do. What would any of us have done in the rather bad situation he was in? My wife and I both have had covid. It wasn't very nice and we only had it mildly so the docs said. We certainly couldn't look after each other easily, barely being able to walk in fact.

The rules do allow travel under his circumstances, not withstanding the fact he probably did make a minor breach when testing his driving ability, probably sensible though considering he had a 250 mile drive back to London. I'd have taken a much shorter drive. But he is not being prosecuted. And remember, the press had given away his home address to the public and he was being besieged by many reporters (who didn't seem worried in the slightest about social distancing) even before he went away, he was receiving death threats at that address and things had been reportedly thrown at his house. I doubt any of use would want to stay at home in those circumstances with a child who maybe we would not be able to look after.

The whole thing is so political with some genuine anger but also lots of false anger stoked up by the press and media. :o

Data
Benefactor

Post by Data »

Dave Weller wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 4:50 am Well done, sorry I cant read the write up fully, I need to test my eyes.
Dave, you and me could go for a drive to test our errrrr.. eyesight or something eh!

Deleted User 4154

Post by Deleted User 4154 »

Data wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 4:54 am As for Mr Cummings, I think it's difficult for any of us to make a judgement due to the highly inaccurate and blatantly untrue stories concerning so much of what he did or didn't do.
To be fair, all of the untruths, downright lies and different versions of the same story came from Mr. Cummings himself. And he's got away with it.

This country is screwed. Were I young enough, and my personal circumstances different I'd have emigrated by now.

Data
Benefactor

Post by Data »

Jaz, I'll just agree to disagree on that one!

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

Sorry to go on about Mr Cummings, but if I'm stopped for speeding, can I now claim that, like him, I used my 'judgement' and decided that 50 in a 30 was 'reasonable'?? Its the trouble with all this - if someone can get away with something, why can't everyone? And remember that a Scottish health officer was required to resign for a far lesser offence of driving briefly to her second home (without the virus).

Data
Benefactor

Post by Data »

Yeah, I think that's the point Grumpy. You wouldn't be like him! His situation is completely different to the one you sight. Speeding is against the law, full stop. However, the lockdown rules do allow for you, me or anyone else in a situation like he was in to do as he did. The law is the same for everyone and it's clearly laid down that there are circumstances that would allow us to do as he did. That, and his personal circumstances of illness, worries about child care, the gatherings outside his home, the threats he was being bombarded with pretty much made it an untenable situation to stay home. Not saying I'm a Mr Cummings lover, or not. As Mr Cummings said, some may have made a different decision to the one he did. But I bet most of us would get out like he did if we were able to in those circumstances. It's just there is so much unfairness in the way this has been presented by the media including the press and misinterpretation of the rules when in fact the government even used child care as an example of when you could break the stay at home rules when they first introduced them. Yet most seem to have forgotten that.

The Scottish situation was very different and clearly a major breach of the law.

Sorry Stibbs, getting off your original topic here and not trying to get political. Will say a ride out is like medicine to the head and body. Totally relaxes me and does my back good. :D So glad you enjoyed yours.

Whatsisname
Benefactor
Current Ride: Burgman 400 K5

Post by Whatsisname »

Durham police have fined two different people for driving from London to Durham since the wanderlust overtook Cummings.
I wake up every morning with a smile upon my face,
My natural exuberance spills out all over the place!

Stibbs
Benefactor
Current Ride: 2022 NSSForza350

Post by Stibbs »

I know a few of you are debating the rights and wrongs of Cummings (and doing it civilly which is nice) but have you seen the latest news? It appears old Dom didn’t visit his parents house :o no, it was his. Documents from the land registry confirm the home belongs to one “Dominic Cummings” :shock: it appears he visited his second home!!!
Now that does the alter the dynamic quite considerably I’d say. :evil: