Tricity 300

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
Stephen
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda Forza 350

Re: Yamaha Tricity 300

Post by Stephen »

My local Yamaha dealer(Northampton) has just moved location to bigger premises and has also become a Piaggio dealer,So there should be both the MP3 as well as the Tricity to look at and compare.I have riden the MP 500 a few tmes as a curtesy bike when having mine serviced at Wheels in Peterborough,enjoyable and fun,i will ask to take a demo on the Tricity,unsure if the 300cc will have the oooomph as its gonna be heavier than the standard 2 wheeler,specially once i get my bulk on there😎

The foot brake is a pain,did i read somwhere that the foot brake has to be there(alongside the distance between the two front wheels) to enable non-motorcycle licence holders to ride.

Steve
Honda Forza 350

Ride Safe Ride Upright
"Better to be late in this world,rather than early in the next world"

Filonian
Current Ride: Honda Integra 750

Post by Filonian »

MrGrumpy wrote: ↑Tue Oct 06, 2020 7:51 am
Filonian wrote: ↑Tue Oct 06, 2020 7:10 am Noticed whilst watching the Giro d'Italia that they were using the Tricity 300s rather than the Nikens.

Would like to see one in the flesh though.
Were they? I only noticed Nikens yesterday. I shall look closely this afternoon. I think the biggest clue is the front fork/shock absorbers - they are on the Outside of the wheels on the Niken, and on the inside for the Tricity. So bleedin' ugly on the Niken that you can't miss them!
I stand corrected, I blame the poor weather conditions and only distant shots of the bikes.

I hadn't realised that there was a difference with the suspension and wheel positions, maybe that's why I don't mind the looks of the Tricity compared to the Niken. Seeing the whole suspension just makes the Niken so ugly. With old age approaching a three wheeler could be the way to go.

capitano
Admin
Current Ride: Burgman + Cub90

Post by capitano »

MrGrumpy wrote: ↑Wed Sep 09, 2020 3:14 am There's an earlier thread about this with links to various magazine road tests.
Good spot!

Topics now merged. 8-)

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

Filonian wrote: ↑Wed Oct 07, 2020 2:53 am I hadn't realised that there was a difference with the suspension and wheel positions, maybe that's why I don't mind the looks of the Tricity compared to the Niken. Seeing the whole suspension just makes the Niken so ugly. With old age approaching a three wheeler could be the way to go.
As I understand it, the Niken and Tricity use the same basic design, but the forks were mounted inboard on the Tricity to make it narrower for commuting / traffic busting purposes (and less ugly!!!). The concept drawing of a 3-wheel Tmax used a different system entirely.

Wombat
Current Ride: X Max 300

Re: Tricity 300

Post by Wombat »

Tricity 300 has been released by Yamaha Australia at 'Ride away' price of AD$11,849, or about UK$6,672. That includes 12 months registration. I have been interested in upgrading from current Xmax 300, but a local owner who moved from an Xmax 300 expressed disappointment in his Tricity. He did not complain about performance and said Tricity was good on sweeping bends at highway speeds, but stated "Front suspension lock is a pain and not very secure, causing anxiety when wheeling the scooter around as it leans side to side" and "Main concern is tendency for front suspension to 'dive' at low speeds, so much so the scooter can, and has, fallen over". These comments may result from rider issues, and we all have different expectations. I would need to see some additional rider reviews before I take the leap to three wheels.

spdtwn
Current Ride: Vespa Sei Giorni HPE + MP3 250

Post by spdtwn »

Been looking forward to this as a possible replacement for my ageing MP3 250 so, on hearing of its arrival, wasted no time in visiting the Auckland dealer. Was somewhat overwhelmed by the bulk of the thing for a 300. Especially the front end. The salesman wheeled it into the yard with much trepidation due to the 'wobble' of the non locking front suspension . I had intended to have a test ride...that was if he would let go of the bars. I said it wouldn't fall over, although I wasn't too confident of that on sitting on it and leaning slightly side to side. Unlike the MP3 with all the front locking. When he said I had to sign the pre-demo insurance, against possible damage, excess of $2500.00. I chickened out. I guess I've gotten used to the MP3 . Will wait for the arrival of the 300HPE. Hopefully. Still enjoy my T Max... tho' it's getting heavier :roll:

wightegi
Current Ride: Forza 300 Honda C90

Post by wightegi »

The new MP3 is a 350 .

spdtwn
Current Ride: Vespa Sei Giorni HPE + MP3 250

Post by spdtwn »

The 350 been out for a couple of years. Tried it...heavy beast @256kg. 300HPE 228kg. and not much difference in power to weight ratio. Dealer wont bring them in until stock of 350 sold. :cry:

newscooter
Benefactor
Current Ride: Grinnall BMW trike

Post by newscooter »

I thought that the front suspension locks(button on left grip according to Yamaha) or does it only operate with ignition on maybe ?

blackmoon181
Current Ride: SH300i + NC750x

Post by blackmoon181 »

spdtwn wrote: ↑Wed Dec 16, 2020 8:10 pm The 350 been out for a couple of years. Tried it...heavy beast @256kg. 300HPE 228kg. and not much difference in power to weight ratio. Dealer wont bring them in until stock of 350 sold. :cry:
really? thats a shame , i owned a beverly BV350 where that engine first debuted and it was a peach. was anticipating the engine coming to a number of piaggio's other models including the MP3. haven't ridden one though :( . the MP3 would really suit my commute but i don't think i could afford the maintenance!

i presume you don't get the Peugeot Metropolis over where you are?