Questions for Sym maxsym 600i /400i owners

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
Rocketman122
Current Ride: eee

Re: Questions for Sym maxsym 600i /400i owners

Post by Rocketman122 »

@Symcity thats helpful. Ill contact them to see what they have. Some only can get some parts. Hiflofilter is good enough. I always replace my oil before its time. Its inexpensive

@Stephen the xciting400 is a nice looking scooter. The burgman was also ok on power but if im getting anothrr 400 the option for the 600 in a 400 body is attractive to me. The parts are also less than the burgman parts. Down the line when it gets tored ill do an overhaul if the body is in good shape. Sym are ok bikes for the money. Not japanese quality but quite close. I think they invested in the maxsym quality overall. My dead joyride 200 is clearly lower quality than the burgman. You can see its a budget scooter

@Stephen
The longer the post the better. Much appreciated the helpful feedback
1-I have an issue trusting mechanics to wrench properly. I almost never saw one use a torque wrench. They dont lube the proper parts and areas also. When its new they do as much as they can by the book but when the bike is older I have seen many that fail

Thanks for the help
3. I had no idea what they were.
Oddly there is a 600 next to my work sitting in the street collecting tons of dust. From the rust on the exhaust it looks tired. So have looked at different items on rhe bike. Better than pictures

Curious what the difference between the sport model and the regular model is
I was considering upgrading to the burgman 650 but the prices are too much and that non serviceable cvt is really expensive to fix and you need to strip the bike completely which is out of my skill level. I can do electrics change starter /relay regulator and all maintenance and even learning to weld things but to drop and disassemble a motor and do precision work is not for me

4-I think the windshield at lower level will suffice. From what I see they used a good quality transparent material. Vs others that really yellow and are not clear.one thing someone taught me is use a pillow case to cover the shield in the summer especially
5-side stand on burgman is quite good. Ill check with the sym why it may be twitchy and fix it up if need be
6-good enough mpg. When you have a big engine you dont need to rev it to get ample power. I especially like the lower rpm at high speeds
7-I saw Francesco's video. He has nice content. Informative. I also saw some russians do some videos but have no idea what they're saying so less helpful. Maybe watch and then confirm with manual
8-happy to hear no vibrations Francesco mentioned he did have them so mentioned it hear
First thing ill do is do a complete fluid replacement for the scooter after I buy it and log everything in a notebook. I dont plan on reselling the scooter unless maybe for parts. The resale is very bad for them, so care and maintain for long term is my goal

Apologies I didn't reply in a timely manner as my mother had a heart attack and I help her with daily duties.

Cheers everyone. Thabk you again for the much appreciated help 🙏

road runner
Benefactor
Current Ride: MaxSYM 600i + Vespa GTS

Post by road runner »

Hi, I had my Maxsym 600i for about 18 months during which time I put approximately 10000 miles on her. It was a 2014 , 600i model that had 2000 miles showing, when I picked it up. I tend to do my own servicing, plugs, oil / air filters, oil changes etc.
Only issue that I had was the oil pressure switch that I replaced with and aftermarket one. In addition, I also replaced the spark plug for a "Brisk" type one which, IMO improved the performance and economy with the latter averaging around 65 mpg.
Reason for replacing was that I am not getting any younger and the physical size and weight were becoming an issue. The Kymco that I now have suits me better, lighter weight thus easier to move around plus it still give similar performance and fuel economy. As others have mentioned, dealers are few and far between so you will need to take this into consideration, unless you intend to carry out your own servicing. Quality, IMO on both the Sym and Kymco are on a par with the Japanese.
At the end of the day it's horses for courses. Whatever you decide, enjoy and stay safe.
Yesterday is history, tomorrow a mystery but today is a gift!

horobags
Benefactor
Current Ride: RE 350 classic vision 110

Post by horobags »

How is the Kymco going Roger, ???
Im not a gynecologist, but I dont mind taking a look.

road runner
Benefactor
Current Ride: MaxSYM 600i + Vespa GTS

Post by road runner »

Hi Marc, Kymco running well, currently showing 1500 ish miles. First, running in service, done by dealer for £60. Future servicing will be undertaken by me. As mentioned, quality is very good indeed and I have no complaints regarding handling, performance or economy. It suits my current needs as does the BMW G310 GS. Once this lockdown is over it’s my intention to get a few camping trips in and hopefully we will get the opportunity to meet up again. In the meantime, stay safe.
Yesterday is history, tomorrow a mystery but today is a gift!

horobags
Benefactor

Post by horobags »

and you Roger, we are looking at a weekend at the bull in'thorn near Ashbourne, when open and safe to do so, will keep you in the loop, would be great if you could attend.

phantom309
Current Ride: nc750sa

Post by phantom309 »

not had the bigger sym's but had the GTS250 an GTS300 . an they were fantastic scoot's . they are built to a price . but pretty good. parts are very cheap compared to the japanese stuff. an the only thing i was not that happy about was the exhaust coating was a bit thin an needed to be re-painted . PJ1 high temp paint sorted that out .
Good friends don't let you do stupids thing alone .

Rocketman122

Post by Rocketman122 »

phantom309 wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:34 am not had the bigger sym's but had the GTS250 an GTS300 . an they were fantastic scoot's . they are built to a price . but pretty good. parts are very cheap compared to the japanese stuff. an the only thing i was not that happy about was the exhaust coating was a bit thin an needed to be re-painted . PJ1 high temp paint sorted that out .

This os what im noticing. At first I thought to myself no way these used bikes are 25k-35k km on them. The exhaust has that brown rust on them. I then thought to myself "did they disconnect the odometer cable and is it really higher?"

And now youve confirmed what ive been seeing
Even my jouride 200 seemed to accumulate that brown surface heat rust. So basically needs to be taken apart use a large metal brush cup on an angle grinder to get it all clean and use high temp furnace spray. Cheers

horobags
Benefactor

Post by horobags »

Even Honda exhausts suffer rust, I use this-
https://www.frost.co.uk/vht-very-high-t ... g-aerosol/

wozza
Benefactor
Current Ride: SEAT MO

Post by wozza »

Whateverwheels in Blackburn still have brand new Sym 600s in stock
SEAT MO

Rocketman122

Post by Rocketman122 »

Yea im buying a used one.
Im done paying crazy dealer prices. Theres tons of people now selling because of c19. Even new ones with very little mileage on them. Id rather give the money to someone who really needs it than to buy new. Not a fan of dealers and stealerships.
I do my own maintenance as well