Questions for Sym maxsym 600i /400i owners

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
Rocketman122
Current Ride: eee

Questions for Sym maxsym 600i /400i owners

Post by Rocketman122 »

My 2010 burgman 400 has a dead engine and im tired of all the flaws it has. I may rebuild the engine later but I need something reliable. Will be buying a maxsym 600i (differemce between "i" or non "i"?) in the near future . Not new. Probably 2015 or newer.
If you wouldnt mind answering questions with your experience with the bike please

1-if you do your own service what issues would you say watch out for? For the burgman I can say a few things. Careful when you take out the side cover to access your variator. The tabs snap easily if too aggressive Make sure to have enough slack on the belt so when you tighten the nut on the front pulley it doesnt compress on the belt and come loose later on. Installing the air filter box lid is a pita but grease the 3 tabs and look behind the support beam to line up. Makes it easy

2- do you buy oem maintenance parts or aftermarket? Air/oil filter I bought from ebay for burg. Any good RELIABLE source that does intl shipping?

3- the left side handlebar switch has a long vertical grey button. What is that for?

4-is the windshield manually adjustable or with a motor "a la burgman 650"?

5- a review said the side stand is not great. Is it not long enough or not sturdy enough or both? I could weld something to fix it if needed

6-what kind of mpg are you getting and are you a max throttle guy for adrenal rushes or a laid back driver who lets people tale off when at a light? The burgman taleoff was always shet. But afterwards it takes off.

7-for the burgman 400 theres micbergsma... Are ther any good service videos for the 600i? The manual is badly written

8-an owner who did yt reviews (from spain or italy I think) said the front brakes have vibrations and the variator is not smooth but has jutters. Do you use sliders?

Thanks for any info you can throw my way. Cheers. Stay safe amd ride safe

Data
Benefactor
Current Ride: 2016 Vespa GTS300ie abs asr

Re: Questions for Sym maxsym 600i /400i owners

Post by Data »

Welcome to the site Rocketman,

I don't have the Maxsym but I've ridden the 400. I'm also an ex-400 2012 Burgman owner. Both great bikes. But I can't answer all the questions you pose I'm afraid but thought I'd add my two pennies worth in case it's any help.

The Maxsym 400 that I rode was lively enough and about on par with my fuel injected 2012 Burgman for performance. All the 400's as far as I know were fuel injected but check any bike you are about to buy just in case it may be different. You really want fuel injection, it's trouble free and lasts pretty much forever, unlike carbs. I have not ridden the 600 Maxsym but some on here have owned them and say good things about them. I'd probably go for the 600i if I were you as the 400 was stopped as a UK import some years ago and there were not that many of them sold. That means parts will dry up more quickly eventually and you may have to wait longer for the importer to get stuff for you especially if it's something big. The 600i motor is a gem apparently. Fast smooth and powerful. Don't know what the mpg's are but someone else will be able to tell you that stuff. At the time I was considering the 600i as a daily transport, there was no one like Micbergsma making regular maintenance videos, but it may be different now. Do a quick search of YT to find out. One thing I do know is that changing the spark plug on either the 400 or 600i is a bit more involved than on the Burgmans. You face the similar issue too with the need to avoid breaking tabs on the plastics. But for me that was never an issue on the Burgmans, it was easy to dismantle the plastics, but then I'm ex-tech and used to doing that sort of thing.

The judder from the variator doesn't exist. It will be the clutch that judders, as it can on the Burgman 400 from time to time. The reviewer got that bit wrong. However, as long as you service the clutch from time to time and clean it out, deglaze the clutch friction pads etc, it'll be fine. Haven't heard about anything being wrong with the stands on the Maxsym.

Overall, the Maxsyms are a great scooter from what I know of them. Let us know how you get on with your search for one. Both the 400 and 600 are still available in overseas markets as new bikes.
Probably not ugly enough for the 'Ugly Bunch'! :lol:

Been riding for 54 years & owned too many bikes to list here...

Rocketman122

Post by Rocketman122 »

Data thabk ypu for your time and your insight. I actually hate my b400. Its a horrible bike with a lot of known issues. Has some things that are very poorly designed and thought through

Im not to interested in the maxsym 400 and the reason is that if im going to buy a bike like this, there is no used market for it and basically id be looking to hold it for its life. Or an engine rebuild or a donor engine

Yes they are all fuel injection. The b400 has a known stva issue. Problem is you cant jiat buy that unit. You havr to buy thw whole throttle body and ita $550

Clean and scoff(i sand with 100 grit and perpendicular to the bell face for better bite) the bell and lightly sand the glazing off the pads is always good. I then wipe it all with alcohol. I have seen some videos from a russian guy and I cant tell what hes saying but still interesting to see

Thanks again for the assist. Maybe someone who owns one can add his thoughts. Cheers

capitano
Admin
Current Ride: Burgman + Cub90

Post by capitano »

There used to be a couple of members that owned MaxSym 600s, but as far as I know both have moved their bikes on.

There may be some historical information on here if you search, but I don't know of any curent owners who actually post on here.

te general opinion of Sym in the UK is, "great product, abysmal backup," which essentially says that Sy have a god reputation as a bike, but that MotoGB could definitely do better as a distributor.

Sorry it's not been as fruitful as you had hoped for. :(

Rocketman122

Post by Rocketman122 »

No that's good info right there.
Im looking for a 2015 +model
Ill get parts from overseas if I need.
Thanks again

Symcity
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda SH300i

Post by Symcity »

http://www.hiflofiltro.com are the people for after market filters for just about any bike/scooter including the Sym 600i - as for other essential parts www.makinaparts.com are the business - they ship from Greece at really competitive prices - should not really require many major parts on a low milage Sym 600i

Stephen
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda Forza 350

Post by Stephen »

Roger(roadrunner)Chopped his MaxSym 600 in last year for a Kymco 400,i believe he tinkered himself and at our breakfast chats didn’t talk about any problems,unsure how many miles he did on it,but i know he had weekends away with all his camping gear strapped on with out any hitches,i am impressed with the Kymco 400 replacement(lack of dealerships is the only thing that lets Sym & Kymco down if you dont tinker yourself)i’ll pop a message on our whatsapp group for him to have a look at this thread.....

Steve
Honda Forza 350

Ride Safe Ride Upright
"Better to be late in this world,rather than early in the next world"

Data
Benefactor
Current Ride: 2016 Vespa GTS300ie abs asr

Post by Data »

Yes, Roger was quite pleased with his Maxsym from what I remember. He does come on the site still from time to time and he thankfully appears at Bentley (when it's going) for a chat. No doubt he will be able to answer many questions.

From my own point of view, Sym (I've worked a few models) as a brand has always been ok. I've known quite a few folks who have had them in various models, mostly smaller bikes. No issues, no problems getting parts. I'm not a fan of Moto GB but even they seem to be doing better these days.
Probably not ugly enough for the 'Ugly Bunch'! :lol:

Been riding for 54 years & owned too many bikes to list here...

basil 69
Benefactor
Current Ride: Maxisym 600i

Post by basil 69 »

I've had a 600i from new just over 3 yrs old now, will post a reply tonight once home from work

basil 69
Benefactor
Current Ride: Maxisym 600i

Post by basil 69 »

Hope this helps.
My scoot is just over 3yrs old from new, it is a Euro 3 version and has done approx. 25,000 mile so far. I use the scoot all yr round and my commute to work is 54 mile mainly A road & duel carriageway.

1-if you do your own service what issues would you say watch out for? For the burgman I can say a few things. Careful when you take out the side cover to access your variator. The tabs snap easily if too aggressive Make sure to have enough slack on the belt so when you tighten the nut on the front pulley it doesnt compress on the belt and come loose later on. Installing the air filter box lid is a pita but grease the 3 tabs and look behind the support beam to line up. Makes it easy
ANS: I'm not mechanically minded so all work done on scoot is done by the dealer.

2- do you buy oem maintenance parts or aftermarket? Air/oil filter I bought from ebay for burg. Any good RELIABLE source that does intl shipping?
ANS: Dealer supplies parts so I can't help you there, I think they come from moto GB

3- the left side handlebar switch has a long vertical grey button. What is that for?
ANS: There are 2 on the side one for heated grips with 4 settings and a switch for the hazard flashes.

4-is the windshield manually adjustable or with a motor "a la burgman 650"?
ANS: Manually adjusted with 2 height settings.

5- a review said the side stand is not great. Is it not long enough or not sturdy enough or both? I could weld something to fix it if needed
ANS: I have had it collapse on me but I could have been partially to blame as I was in a lot of pain at the time so I might have not been concentrating on what I was doing. I do recommend to put the parking brake on if you use the side stand now though.

6-what kind of mpg are you getting and are you a max throttle guy for adrenal rushes or a laid back driver who lets people tale off when at a light? The burgman taleoff was always shet. But afterwards it takes off.
ANS: I average 65mpg but have had 72mph a couple of times. I tend to travel between 50 & 70 mph on my commute to work for the majority of the journey.

7-for the burgman 400 theres micbergsma... Are ther any good service videos for the 600i? The manual is badly written
ANS: Try this on you tube he has done a few videos, some are helpful I think.

8-an owner who did yt reviews (from spain or italy I think) said the front brakes have vibrations and the variator is not smooth but has jutters. Do you use sliders?
ANS: I have had no issue with either of those you have mentioned above.

Sorry for the long post.