SH300/i high mileage electrical reliability

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
Fish323
Current Ride: Yamaha Neuvo 113cc

SH300/i high mileage electrical reliability

Post by Fish323 »

I am thinking about getting a second hand SH300/i when I get back to the UK in 3 months. Second hand costs are high and having owned 250 Leonardos and X9s in the past and had to scrap everyone I ever owned with electrical reliability issues once they got into the 30,000+ mile range I am worried about having to write them off every other year. I am wondering if things have improved with Italian made scooters? Has anyone any experience with high mileage bikes, especially the SH300/i and electrical problems?

capitano
Admin
Current Ride: Burgman + Cub90

Re: SH300/i high mileage electrical reliability

Post by capitano »

No personal experience, but there are many high mileage SH125s, 150s and 300s out there proving that even though something is built in Italy, it doesn't necessarily have to suffer typical Italian issues. 8-)

richie the 1st
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda sh125 Suzuki Address FL1

Post by richie the 1st »

Yep my 1st sh 125 -now on my 4th I must like them] did 40800 miles then the centre stand broke,its was the quickest,so loads out there.
There was one a sh 300i that did 37500 miles in 2 1/2 years in a dealer that was sold in a week.so its a Honda.
Old honda sh125.
New Honda sh125.
Ride free,ride safe.

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

I had to have an entire new wiring loom on my SH300! No idea what really happened until one day it would barely start then wouldn't go at all. Diagnosed as rusty wires bizarrely. Probably abuse or neglect by previous owner rather than a general fault, but its not something you hear of every day is it! It had done a fair mileage, though not more than 20k I think.
As for other Italian scoots, I had a Piaggio Bev 350 until a year or so ago. I had a few issues, but Italian elecs seem to have improved as I don't recall any elec problems with it, apart from riding with a blown headlight bulb for months! But that's rider idiocy! Didn't get near 30k miles though. Must also say that Piaggio has really sorted its spares supply organisation out properly, especially compared with the disaster area it used to be.

horobags
Benefactor
Current Ride: RE 350 classic vision 110

Post by horobags »

honda are as good as any other.
Im not a gynecologist, but I dont mind taking a look.

capitano
Admin
Current Ride: Burgman + Cub90

Post by capitano »

MrGrumpy wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 9:15 am I had to have an entire new wiring loom on my SH300! No idea what really happened until one day it would barely start then wouldn't go at all. Diagnosed as rusty wires bizarrely. Probably abuse or neglect by previous owner rather than a general fault, but its not something you hear of every day is it!
When I had my Gilera Nexus I followed knowledgeable folks' advice and drilled a large drain hole in the bellypan. A whole load of connectors resided in that area and it was notorious for collecting and holding dirty water.

I remember similar vintage X9s having well documented electrical issues. But because "everyone," knew about said issues and how to prevent, or repair them, they ceased to be problems.

8-)

fullcirclemax
Current Ride: Integra

Post by fullcirclemax »

The main wiring to worry about on these is the rectifier connections which are just about exposed to rear wheel spray. Worth constructing a boot or wrapping in tape. Might be shifting mine on soon, have had it over 3 years and fancy an integra, dependant on an imminent windfall.

Symcity
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda SH300i

Post by Symcity »

Fish323 wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 7:26 am I am thinking about getting a second hand SH300/i when I get back to the UK in 3 months. Second hand costs are high and having owned 250 Leonardos and X9s in the past and had to scrap everyone I ever owned with electrical reliability issues once they got into the 30,000+ mile range I am worried about having to write them off every other year. I am wondering if things have improved with Italian made scooters? Has anyone any experience with high mileage bikes, especially the SH300/i and electrical problems?
I’ve owned a 2011 sh300i for nearly three years now - fortunately no issues whatsoever with electrics and no issues with the rectifier - I do however keep the scooter clean and tidy - keep em nice and they’ll be good to go 👌

richie the 1st
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda sh125 Suzuki Address FL1

Post by richie the 1st »

Another thing with the sh 300,and it did it with my one when I had it some years ago,when I picked it up rolling to a halt it cut out,and they seemed to all do it,dont know why.??? but in all the miles I have done on all 4 of my sh 125,s none have done this.
Old honda sh125.
New Honda sh125.
Ride free,ride safe.

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

richie the 1st wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 8:38 am Another thing with the sh 300,and it did it with my one when I had it some years ago,when I picked it up rolling to a halt it cut out,and they seemed to all do it,dont know why.???
Yes, I remember reading about that. Never happened to mine.