New GTS arrives

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
Jimo
Benefactor
Current Ride: 92 Helix

Re: New GTS arrives

Post by Jimo »

It’s lovely - I want to be YOUNGER ! ......

Jim
‘82 Honda Lead 80, '84 Lead 125, ‘94 Honda Helix, ‘79 Honda ST70

wozza
Benefactor
Current Ride: SEAT MO

Post by wozza »

Congratulations on the new bike!!! :)
SEAT MO

smeghead
Benefactor
Current Ride: GTS 300 Touring

Post by smeghead »

Thanks everyone, as I expected it’s an excellent scooter. Sadly I’ve almost run it in and I’ve got two more weeks before the bloody service!

Data
Benefactor
Current Ride: 2016 Vespa GTS300ie abs asr

Post by Data »

If you go over by a little it won't matter. But, you could just call you dealer and let them know the situation and see if they can take it earlier. Glad you are ok with the bike and enjoying it. Great fun eh!
Probably not ugly enough for the 'Ugly Bunch'! :lol:

Been riding for 54 years & owned too many bikes to list here...

smeghead
Benefactor

Post by smeghead »

I actually booked it in on the day I paid for it! Unless they’ve had a cancellation I’ve no chance of getting it done sooner. What’s your opinion on the Speed Ring? It’s supposed to increase the speed and correct the speedo accuracy.

Data
Benefactor
Current Ride: 2016 Vespa GTS300ie abs asr

Post by Data »

Yeah, it's ok. It works by tricking the ecu into thinking it's going slower than it really is. Something you may want to think about, at least whilst its under warranty. It should be a tough motor though.

My rev limiter comes in at an indicated 83mph. Actual gps speed is 78mph. So it's pretty similar to a standard HPE model in that respect. The HPE has a top speed of 76mph before the rev limiter comes in. Vespa list my top speed as 76mph same as the HPE, but with my rev limiter coming in later. There's a lot of nonsense talked on MV about the speed aspect of GTS bikes. But basically, they are all very much the same, hardly any difference in standard form what ever year or model.

I intend to Malossify my bike with the full head, piston and cylinder kit, to include the Malossi fuel injection module and upgear transmission kit. I'll go for the Malossi variator too but I'll probably keep the original clutch. This will give it a genuine 95mph top speed with the standard exhaust. With an aftermarket Malossi exhaust this will give it near 100mph. I've ridden the fully kitted out bike with a Malossi exhaust and it was stunning. Very fast off the line and at 70mph you can open the throttle and still get a hit in the back. It doesn't seem to affect the reliability of the bikes in any way either. The guy that let me ride his bike still has it and that was over two years ago that I rode it. He's covered another 20,000 miles since with no issues. He decided to upgrade the front brake, the rear was fine, and he has an upgraded shock on the front. That's all and he's happy.
Probably not ugly enough for the 'Ugly Bunch'! :lol:

Been riding for 54 years & owned too many bikes to list here...

Jimo
Benefactor
Current Ride: 92 Helix

Post by Jimo »

100 mph? - been in that area on a Speed Twin and its a Triumph Im still here to tell the tail!
I believe reliability is more important than speed and 70 suits me fine, life is too fast already and my better days are already gone.

Jim
‘82 Honda Lead 80, '84 Lead 125, ‘94 Honda Helix, ‘79 Honda ST70

Deleted User 4154

Post by Deleted User 4154 »

Jimo wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 3:09 pm 100 mph? - been in that area on a Speed Twin and its a Triumph Im still here to tell the tail!
I believe reliability is more important than speed and 70 suits me fine, life is too fast already and my better days are already gone.

Jim
100mph! My health test for a Helix was hammer it along the motorway for a couple of exits and if you saw 78 on the clock it was fit and well (design top speed = 75). And then I would ride everywhere at sixty.

The Vespa looks grand! icon_good-job.gif

smeghead
Benefactor

Post by smeghead »

Data wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 2:16 pm Yeah, it's ok. It works by tricking the ecu into thinking it's going slower than it really is. Something you may want to think about, at least whilst its under warranty. It should be a tough motor though.

My rev limiter comes in at an indicated 83mph. Actual gps speed is 78mph. So it's pretty similar to a standard HPE model in that respect. The HPE has a top speed of 76mph before the rev limiter comes in. Vespa list my top speed as 76mph same as the HPE, but with my rev limiter coming in later. There's a lot of nonsense talked on MV about the speed aspect of GTS bikes. But basically, they are all very much the same, hardly any difference in standard form what ever year or model.

I intend to Malossify my bike with the full head, piston and cylinder kit, to include the Malossi fuel injection module and upgear transmission kit. I'll go for the Malossi variator too but I'll probably keep the original clutch. This will give it a genuine 95mph top speed with the standard exhaust. With an aftermarket Malossi exhaust this will give it near 100mph. I've ridden the fully kitted out bike with a Malossi exhaust and it was stunning. Very fast off the line and at 70mph you can open the throttle and still get a hit in the back. It doesn't seem to affect the reliability of the bikes in any way either. The guy that let me ride his bike still has it and that was over two years ago that I rode it. He's covered another 20,000 miles since with no issues. He decided to upgrade the front brake, the rear was fine, and he has an upgraded shock on the front. That's all and he's happy.
All good information as ever Data. I think I’m leaving the ring for now. I’ll get a feel for it when the first service is done in a couple of weeks. I’ll be able to open her up and see what’s what. I think the standard speed will be enough though.

smeghead
Benefactor

Post by smeghead »

100 mph on a GTS sounds scary.