Calimoto motorcycle sat nav

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Re: Calimoto motorcycle sat nav

Post by MrGrumpy »

I'm not the world's greatest smartphone expert - I can barely use mine! But AFAIK, its having the display 'lit' that eats power. If its grinding away in the background - say updating or playing a radio station via bluetooth - then power consumption seems very slow. But if you watch everything live with the screen on - or having a SatNav app displaying a route - then the power meter drains rapidly! This may be an argument for a GPS system that uses a phone plus a separate display, as - I guess- power consumption on the phone will be slower, though I guess its possible to charge en-route - though I don't think the Tmax has a USB socket, only a fag -lighter type thing.

muddyfox
Benefactor
Current Ride: Yamaha 250r x max

Post by muddyfox »

MrGrumpy wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 3:27 am I'm not the world's greatest smartphone expert - I can barely use mine! But AFAIK, its having the display 'lit' that eats power. If its grinding away in the background - say updating or playing a radio station via bluetooth - then power consumption seems very slow. But if you watch everything live with the screen on - or having a SatNav app displaying a route - then the power meter drains rapidly! This may be an argument for a GPS system that uses a phone plus a separate display, as - I guess- power consumption on the phone will be slower, though I guess its possible to charge en-route - though I don't think the Tmax has a USB socket, only a fag -lighter type thing.
You can purchase USB plugs that fit into " a fag-lighter type thing." if required.
Screwfix £5.99
https://www.screwfix.com/p/ring-dual-us ... lsrc=aw.ds
Muddyfox (Nottingham)
Ride safe

abitmad

Post by abitmad »

Because of the high phone battery consumption by nav apps like Calimoto, it is essential in my view to have a power source from the bike. I would not want to use a phone on any of my bikes as a nav without that. It's not just about keeping the phone charged for the nav app, especially on longer journeys, but additionally you may want to ensure it is charged for calls or other data apps.

You could alternatively use an external battery pack but that is a clumsier solution in my view.