Camera for my scooter...

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
Data
Benefactor
Current Ride: Royal Enfield 350 Meteor

Camera for my scooter...

Post by Data »

Ok, wasn't sure where to post this but here goes anyway.

I know some of you folks are using cameras on your bikes. For some reason which escapes me, I have been putting off getting this rather, as I see it, essential bit of equipment. My car has it built in, but of course, not the bike.

So what are you guys using. I'm being drawn to the Gopro 7 Black. I want to chest mount it. Any thoughts?

Mottza, what you using?

Ian ;)
Probably not ugly enough for the 'Ugly Bunch'! :lol:

Been riding for 54 years & owned too many bikes to list here...

muddyfox
Benefactor
Current Ride: Yamaha 250r x max

Re: Camera for my scooter...

Post by muddyfox »

I thought about the Gopro camera's but decided to buy a cheap one to "dip my toes" to make sure it's something I could justify spending that amount of money on. That was 2 years ago and I still use this...
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/184042148541
Muddyfox (Nottingham)
Ride safe

Data
Benefactor

Re: NSR Camera for my scooter...

Post by Data »

Thanks muddyfox. That's very interesting. I'm playing catch up on this sort of thing at the moment. I want to use any camera I buy for lots of different applications. On the bike will be a primary one, but want to use it to shoot other types of video too. I've been getting into editing footage that I take with my phone and other point and shoot cameras using 'Shotcut' video editing software. It's pretty good and I've had some good results. But I really need a much better camera to move on and get that BAFTA!

How do you find the battery life working out on your camera? Is the video quality pretty good? Can you alter the settings to get rid of the 'fish eye' effect like you can mostly do with Gopro?

muddyfox
Benefactor
Current Ride: Yamaha 250r x max

Re: NSR Camera for my scooter...

Post by muddyfox »

Data wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 5:09 am Thanks muddyfox. That's very interesting. I'm playing catch up on this sort of thing at the moment. I want to use any camera I buy for lots of different applications. On the bike will be a primary one, but want to use it to shoot other types of video too. I've been getting into editing footage that I take with my phone and other point and shoot cameras using 'Shotcut' video editing software. It's pretty good and I've had some good results. But I really need a much better camera to move on and get that BAFTA!

How do you find the battery life working out on your camera? Is the video quality pretty good? Can you alter the settings to get rid of the 'fish eye' effect like you can mostly do with Gopro?
Camera runs from USB socket in left glove box. Turns on and off via movement sensor settings so it fit and forget regarding usage for scooter rides. Once SD card is full it overwrites oldest video section. Have used it as a still shot camera off the scooter and results don't look to bad to me. Here's a bit of video shot through a dark tinted sports screen.
Muddyfox (Nottingham)
Ride safe

mottza
Admin
Current Ride: 2023 Honda ADV350

Post by mottza »

Hi Ian. My one is the Gopro Hero 7 Silver. The black isn't worth the extra money. The Hero 7 white isn't a bad little thing either.

I've tried all the other copies. But the quality isn't all that great. But good for those that don't want to spend a lot or just want to dip their toes in video.
2023 Honda ADV350 & 2020 Honda Super Cub 125

mottza
Admin

Post by mottza »

Bear in YouTube compresses video. Actual original file was better.

Capt. R Swipe
Benefactor
Current Ride: 2023 Forza 350 YamT7

Post by Capt. R Swipe »

I think there is too much hype and advertising with GoPro and whilst the quality is high, there is still too much fish-eye and image distortion with GoPro to be worth the money. I may be a little out of date with my distortion concerns as GoPro may have sorted it, but I don't think they have?!
There are plenty of alternatives out there for choice and models are always advancing.

Data
Benefactor

Post by Data »

Thanks guys. Chris, I quite like the footage from your Gopro 7. I''ve seen some of your other videos from when we've been on ride outs and it's been pretty good. I note you can get rid of most of the fish eye too within the settings on these Go pro cameras and they have a few features that other cameras don't have.

Muddyfox, thanks for posting your video. Quite impressive for the price. I need to be able to plug in an external mic too so I need to do more research. Any other suggestions, just keep em coming. Thanks.

mottza
Admin

Post by mottza »

Ah no external mic for my Gopro.

Whatsisname
Benefactor
Current Ride: Burgman 400 K5

Post by Whatsisname »

There's a youtuber called Techmoan with a channel where he tests and compares electronics I think he's done a fair few action cams.
I wake up every morning with a smile upon my face,
My natural exuberance spills out all over the place!