First service on the GTS done today.

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
smeghead
Benefactor
Current Ride: GTS 300 Touring

First service on the GTS done today.

Post by smeghead »

I took the GTS in for it’s first service today. Almost £80! I can’t think much was done except an oil and filter change however it does keep the two year warranty valid so I suppose that’s the price you pay. A minor fault was also dealt with, the chrome light surround was not fitting to the main body of the housing at the top. The technician said there was a spur or flashing on the moulding, he simply filed it down and all is well. Happy days, I can get on with riding it now.

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Re: First service on the GTS done today.

Post by MrGrumpy »

These 'free' services are getting damned expensive these days!

Data
Benefactor
Current Ride: 2016 Vespa GTS300ie abs asr

Post by Data »

Excellent smeg. In case you haven't done so, I'd check your engine oil level. You may already know this but there is a tendency for technicians to either overfill the oil level, or underfill it. Rarely have I found anyone who has said it's always ok after a service at the dealers whoever the dealer is. Sometimes it's because the technicians are not used to working on scooters (in a motorcycle multi-franchise dealership) with the swing engine design and they don't take onboard that you mustn't check the engine oil when the rear wheel has a chock under it from when they changed out the rear hub oil. This can give a totally false reading. I've seen a tech do this on my bike. My engine was vastly short of oil when I got her back, it was just above the lower line of the dipstick.

I haven't had a 'free' service for years on any bike. Labour charges are around £90ph at my dealer, so nearly £80 for the first service is pretty good. Mine was £90 and that was nearly 4 years ago. The whole first service takes about 40 mins on the GTS. They drop the oil, change the filter, refill with oil of course, change out the rear hub gearbox oil, check the engine coolant level, check the ecu with PADs for any fault codes or system ecu updates (apply if necessary), do a basic nut and bolt check while at the same time casting an eye over the whole bike for coolant leaks, anything leaking or loose, and finally a tyre check (applying special wind to tyres should they need it). Pretty straight forward really but worth it to keep her in great condition. Although the first service is not free, it is often subsidised by the manufacturer. You could expect to pay around £120 normally for the same work.
Probably not ugly enough for the 'Ugly Bunch'! :lol:

Been riding for 54 years & owned too many bikes to list here...

smeghead
Benefactor

Post by smeghead »

I’ll have a look at the oil level however the dealer is Ron Daley, they’ve sold Vespa since 1958 and it’s almost a Piaggio exclusive dealer. I cannot imagine they would do it wrong, they did have a couple of Royal Alloys in though.

Data
Benefactor
Current Ride: 2016 Vespa GTS300ie abs asr

Post by Data »

Yes, check it to be sure smeg. Ron Daley is a good dealer so it's probably ok but as yet you'd be the first I've come across if it was.
Probably not ugly enough for the 'Ugly Bunch'! :lol:

Been riding for 54 years & owned too many bikes to list here...

smeghead
Benefactor

Post by smeghead »

Will do