HI-FLO oil filters...

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
Data
Benefactor
Current Ride: 2016 Vespa GTS300ie abs asr

Re: HI-FLO oil filters...

Post by Data »

XP500FUN wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 5:09 am
Still not sure weather to just go with a cheap 5w40 synthetic next time or stick with Motul or Castrol ?
If it were me, I'd go with the Motul fully synthetic. It has a high concentration of Esters in it compared to many other synthetic oils. That will give you much better protection.
Probably not ugly enough for the 'Ugly Bunch'! :lol:

Been riding for 54 years & owned too many bikes to list here...

Biglee 123
Current Ride: Kymco400i

Post by Biglee 123 »

I have been useing hi flo filters for many years now never been a problem I have used on my 1000 cc Honda right down to my current ride

Biglee 123
Current Ride: Kymco400i

Post by Biglee 123 »

Buy a cheap syringes on Ebay they have the mm markings on the side so you don't overfill and they fit in the final drive filling hole a treat

Pandrop
Benefactor
Current Ride: Bonneville_Fireblade_Helix

Post by Pandrop »

Nothing is better than stock OEM regardless of what people tell you because the manufacturer spends millions on R+D and doesnt just lob any old rubbish in to keep the engines clean especially with the length of warrenties they give these days , however I have used Hi Flo on superbikes for years and they are perfectly functioonal and do a good job. Its a Dutch company I think so not chinese tat.

Data
Benefactor

Post by Data »

Yeah, and the Hi-Flo is one of the only after market filters with a TUV rating which means it's likely better than standard. In fact regarding the standard Piaggio filters for my bike, they have gone right down hill in terms of quality and design. The filter is the screw on type and the casing metal is wafer thin now and it has no screw-on fitment like it used to have on the bottom. Stones penetrate the casing with ease as I have recently seen. The Hi-Flo is definitely better, thicker, and has the screw-on fitting attachment too.

Data
Benefactor

Post by Data »

Rocketman122 wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 7:45 pm I think any name brand is fine so long as you use good oil and does maintenance on time. One is better or not.. No one knows. How you drive the bike will make more of an impact to the life of the bike. Change air filter and plug often change gas filter as well. And when you do cvt work ALWAYS open the clutch to clean, check bearings seals and to regrease. Always. When your cvt is in order the engine doesnt work as hard. Fill air in tires properly ajd chnage gear oil on time. Oil filter... Brand name and be done
Funnily enough, we found through out testing that how you ride the bike doesn't really have much effect on how long the engine lasts. That is as long as you don't thrash it from cold or ride it totally full throttle flat out all the time. The main thing is to use a really good quality mc oil and as you say, change it on time. As long as you do that, everything is good. Almost no engine wear happens when an engine is hot. If it did, engines wouldn't last five minutes. Up to 97% of all engine wear through an engines life time happens in the first 7 minutes of running. Almost none when it's hot. How it's ridden has much much less effect on the motor than we all think. Surprising really!

kishan
Current Ride: gilera runner 125ST

Post by kishan »

ive had hi flo on my runner , they work really well cant fault their parts deffo recommend them
PIAGGIOOWNERSCLUB.FREEFORUMS.ORG - THE HOME FOR GILERA , APRILIA , PIAGGIO AND VESPA OWNERS.

Taipan
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda NC700X DCT Tmax mk2

Post by Taipan »

I've used HiFlo oila nd air filters for as long as I can remember. The only oil filters i'd avoid is K&N as there was a big issue with them causing engine damage although i think it was limited to the USA?

EvilRacer329
Current Ride: Yamaha T-Max DX

Post by EvilRacer329 »

I don't let my bikes idle overmuch when I start them, but ride away with very light engine load and am very gentle while they're warming up. After that? All bets are off. My ~80,000 mile V-Strom has been absolutely thrashed, but it's also been meticulously maintained - all oil changes and valve clearance checks done on-time using Motul 10W-40 or Castrol semi-synthetic oil. I'd have no qualms using Halfords' stuff though, if they'd skimped word would get out and it would destroy a profitable brand.

Regarding fully-synthetic oil, I do believe that there are some differences there, and not all bikes like it. Also, I still read about some riders (mostly Americans for some reason) insisting that cheap car oil is just fine, and then wondering why their clutches are slipping from all the low-friction additive packages in there.

Nick