HI-FLO oil filters...

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
EvilRacer329
Current Ride: Yamaha T-Max DX

Re: HI-FLO oil filters...

Post by EvilRacer329 »

I've used HiFlo almost exclusively on my bikes for years - covered more than 100,000 miles between them. I'm sure there are a lot of dodgy aftermarket filters out there that don't actually work, but these seem just fine. Would be interesting to have some scientific evidence to back up my observations, however...

Nick

Stibbs
Benefactor
Current Ride: 2022 NSSForza350

Post by Stibbs »

Hi flo nearly always. Mines now covered 19k 😉

rossm
Current Ride: SH300-R1-Z1000

Post by rossm »

Been using them for years on all my bikes, without any issues
Yamaha R1, Kawasaki Z1000, Honda SH300i

SH125Paul
Benefactor
Current Ride: SH125 - NC750X DCT

Post by SH125Paul »

Used em on lots of scoots n bikes both oil n air...
on the Yam XMax400 a significant saving was made at service with 3x Air filters and an oil filter... OE was the other side of £60... HiFlo about £25...

capitano
Admin
Current Ride: Burgman + Cub90

Post by capitano »

XP500FUN wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 5:09 am Still not sure weather to just go with a cheap 5w40 synthetic next time or stick with Motul or Castrol ?
Not really relevant to your situation, but I've been a bit old school for decades and only used Castrol.

I always did berate myself as being a bit OCD and over cautious on the subject.

However ... in 2015 ,a month before our Isle of Man TT trip that year, I sucked the oil out of my W800 then realised that the 4 litres of Castrol Racing 4T that I had in the garage cupboard ... wasn't actually in the garage cupboard.

To cut a long story short, I wound up putting Rock oil fully synthetic (motorcycle specific) in ... and the f***ing clutch slipped. To compound the error, when the oil had only been in a few days, the inspection window was obscured with foam and scum.

Needless to say, that particular error was corrected very quickly with some Castrol.

The scum disappeared and the clutch stopped slipping under load.

8-)

SH125Paul
Benefactor
Current Ride: SH125 - NC750X DCT

Post by SH125Paul »

XP500FUN wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 5:09 am Still not sure weather to just go with a cheap 5w40 synthetic next time or stick with Motul or Castrol...
Nothing wrong with Halfords 5w40 Fully Synth Bike oil... Used if for years in the Gilly and Yam XMax 250 and 400... made by Comma...
5lts and a little cheaper than Castrol for 4Lts..
The Honda NC750X Is meant to be fussy on oil viscosity due to the DCT, so it wants 10w30...
And 10w30 is quoted forvmy 'lil SH i think to achive the mpg quoted... The SH will get the Halfords when out of waranty...

Data
Benefactor
Current Ride: Royal Enfield 350 Meteor

Post by Data »

The Halfords fully synthetic oil is very good and as you mention used to be (and most likely still is) made by Comma. They make brilliant oils. Years ago when I was testing engines and oils the Comma oil came out right near the top for oil film strength (OFS) on their 10/40 mc oil. It beat or equalled all the much costlier oils out there. I expect the 5/40 is just as good. I hope so as I've got it in mine.
Probably not ugly enough for the 'Ugly Bunch'! :lol:

Been riding for 54 years & owned too many bikes to list here...

mottza
Admin
Current Ride: 2023 Honda ADV350

Post by mottza »

I tend to use Putoline if I can. It's not like the Forza needs much.
2023 Honda ADV350 & 2020 Honda Super Cub 125

Data
Benefactor
Current Ride: Royal Enfield 350 Meteor

Post by Data »

Hi Chris, is that a 5-40 in your?
Probably not ugly enough for the 'Ugly Bunch'! :lol:

Been riding for 54 years & owned too many bikes to list here...

Rocketman122
Current Ride: eee

Post by Rocketman122 »

I think any name brand is fine so long as you use good oil and does maintenance on time. One is better or not.. No one knows. How you drive the bike will make more of an impact to the life of the bike. Change air filter and plug often change gas filter as well. And when you do cvt work ALWAYS open the clutch to clean, check bearings seals and to regrease. Always. When your cvt is in order the engine doesnt work as hard. Fill air in tires properly ajd chnage gear oil on time. Oil filter... Brand name and be done