Honda Forza 350

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
Capt. R Swipe
Benefactor
Current Ride: 2023 Forza 350 YamT7

Re: Honda Forza 350

Post by Capt. R Swipe »

It's good to see others interested in the 350. My partner and I test rode the 350 in May and she loved it. She has a full licence so rode it herself.
Really nippy. We took the new NC750X out at the same time and swapped. I came away loving both of them and considered the NC. A few months on the Forza is back at the top of my list.
Have to say that the blue is bloody lovely.
So, a few things have gotten in our way since the test rides and we're not sure of availabilty now. We did find only one locally - in the Falcon Grey - with a huge, deep scratch along the left panel; after the sales chap assured us that it had been carefully unpacked and nobody had even touched nor sat on it! :D We walked!

lenny
Current Ride: Honda Forza 350

Post by lenny »

The matt cynos grey finish is very susceptible to water spots if it's not dried off immediately, don't ask how I know. ;)

CreakyKnees99
Current Ride: Forza 350

Post by CreakyKnees99 »

I like the blue. I bought it in the pearl grey but slightly regret it. They seem to do them in rather more jolly colours for other markets. Someone in marketing must have decided we are a dull bunch here in the U.K.!

Waldorf
Benefactor

Post by Waldorf »

Thank you.
I wonder if the metallic paint is more susceptible to water-spot marks.
Mike
Honda Forza 350 - Adso
NIU electric moped - HAL
"Ignorant people will always be afraid of what's different and will always mock what they don't understand."
Capitano

Proud to be a member of the Ugly Bunch

Stephen
Benefactor

Post by Stephen »

Waldorf wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 9:22 am All noted; thanks, chaps.

I have a test ride booked for next Wednesday but I don't think I'll need much persuading.

The biggest decision now to be made is between Matt Cynos Grey Metallic and Matt Pearl Pacific Blue; the former is closer to my favoured black so I'm leaning that way.
The Forza 350 in blue does look nice,although i am not a great fan of Matt colours,for some reason the 750 is a much darker blue which I didn’t like,so thus i have the gloss black model,

Steve
Honda Forza 350

Ride Safe Ride Upright
"Better to be late in this world,rather than early in the next world"

scootabout
Benefactor

Post by scootabout »

I’ve now done over 2.5K miles on the Forza, much of it on my annual Scotland tour. I’ve done previous years on an SH300 or a Beverly 350. Here are my thoughts so far.
This is the first brand new bike I’ve had and I hadn’t realised how much faff it was getting it set up exactly as I wanted. The rack proved most challenging, having been promised the Honda one (delayed indefinitely), I managed to get a Givi one (I believe it’s the one for the 300, not the latest 350 one), but they sent the wrong part! Eventually, the correct bit arrived the day before I set off – phew!. You have to take a lot of plastic off to fit it, but the dealer did that at the first service. With a large box on, it finally had enough room to take a week’s luggage. The under seat space is awkwardly shaped, taking one full-face helmet at the front, but having annoying plastic protrusions halfway back to hold the handbook! These will have to go at some point; they bash anything rigid you put in and take valuable space. More annoyingly, the seat only opens 35 degrees and drops closed at the slightest provocation, usually causing swearing! Nor is the closure mechanism very Honda-like, not really lining up. Likewise the keyless ignition makes it easy to leave the bike unsecured (not an issue in rural Scotland), something I’m going to have to watch out for.
I didn’t find the screen that impressive at speed (the Beverly Givi aftermarket screen was superb), especially as it provides no cover for hands. It just didn’t provide that still pocket of air for the long slog up to Scotland. I fitted a clip on Vario screen, which helped, but the Honda screen seems to be intrinsically too narrow. Hand protectors are on my list, for both warmth and keeping dry-ish.
I use an Airhawk on all my bikes, which helps with the firm ride.
So, we’re off! I soon realised that an indicated 70 mph was fairly comfortable on the A1. The scoot will go faster, but the turbulence seems to increase. I also sought out ‘clean air’, with dropping back or powering ahead for a bit. Filtering seemed fine (hazard lights are fitted, but I prefer to flash main beam), but nothing beats the SH300 in these situations. Absolute tank range is around 200 miles; I usually started looking for fuel after 150 miles. Filling up is a doddle (the Beverly needed rocking back and forth to ‘burp’) and at 10 litres or so, quite affordable.
After 200 miles or so, I cut off onto the smaller roads. These seem to be the Forza’s preferred habitat. Faster, winding A and B roads were a delight, with getting past slow traffic fairly easy. Going up steep, minor roads in the Pennines and I was impressed by the torque. I took this to extremes on a scary 1 in 3 and it sailed up it. Being able to lower the screen meant that I was looking over it even on such extreme slopes – an unexpected benefit!
By the time I got to Inverness via the west coast, I’d been on most type of road, from motorways to marginal surfaces/grass down the middle/sheep wandering about. The Forza was acquitting itself well and I was starting to bond. I was probably adapting my riding style too, as it felt fine with a spirited ride, but was less happy being thrashed (unlike the SH300 and Beverly). That weight was noticeable at times and respect was needed, as well as a bit of thought when cornering sometimes. Overall, much less forgiving than the SH300, which can be hammered and thrown into corners. Still, I was having fun, the scenery was sublime and the midges weren’t really trying.
Braking felt fine, but not in the SH300 league; less feel and more squeeze needed. It couldn’t be ridden just using the left-hand lever, so I assume the balance between the discs may be different. This is a shame, with the SH300 you can effectively separate brakes and accelerator and keep a better grip on the more bumpy surfaces.
Although the purchase price was substantial (for me), running costs seem good – 75 mpg (fast cruising) – 86 mpg (running in smoothly), service intervals at 8K/yearly, so hopefully overall it will prove a good buy. I couldn’t resist seeing what it would do on my private test track (indicated 95), but turbulence was unpleasant. Two-up seems to take a reasonable amount of the acceleration away, but my pillion will probably be glad of that.
I did buy the Forza to do specific things and I maybe tend to give my bikes a hard time, but this is a significant investment for me, so I want my money’s worth. It’s good to see that service intervals have increased (from 6K) and mpg is up over my SH300 (74 mpg overall). I could easily do without the mobile phone link (the controls for this seem like an afterthought and can hit your left knee on tight bends). The Honda rack should definitely come as standard (as in other countries), as should the clear hand protectors. The screen could be wider and perhaps have a flip up edge. The handbook moulding under the seat could be dropped and the seat ought to open to 90 degrees.
I’m sure that many riders will be happy with the Forza as it comes and that’s fine, but I’d just say maybe try the SH350 as well, to see which suits you better.

P.S. Get the blue one!

Waldorf
Benefactor

Post by Waldorf »

I won't say too much now but thank you for the first-class review.
I will read it again (and again) but have noted already your remarks about Givi box and rack - both are on my list and dealer will supply and fit them for me - and the Givi hand guards.
I wonder if the Givi screen might be an improvement on the stock one.; the Silverwing stock screen is too narrow, too.
The salesman at Newcastle Honda was somewhat dismissive of the Bluetooth facility; it's not my style, either.

Blue is beautiful!

Thank you again. :)
Mike
Honda Forza 350 - Adso
NIU electric moped - HAL
"Ignorant people will always be afraid of what's different and will always mock what they don't understand."
Capitano

Proud to be a member of the Ugly Bunch

lenny

Post by lenny »

I'm also on just over 2500m and am very happy with it. I owned a xmax 300 in 2017, a good machine but in my opinion the Forza 350 is an allround step up. I have also fitted the Givi rack and just to fit the support rods to the rear shock upper bolts is time consuming. Some of the bodywork fixings are not immediately apparent. Not sure why the Honda, Shad and the Forza 300 do not have the support rods. I have a £19 (from Ama**n) air deflector on top of the screen which has made a real difference to my quality of ride. In my opinion its the equivalent of changing from the Silverwing oem screen to the Givi Airflow.

scootabout
Benefactor

Post by scootabout »

I have the Givi Airflow on my SH300 and it is excellent in daylight. In the dark, I get too much reflection from the headlight and revert to the standard Givi screen in winter.

Greyerbeard
Current Ride: Any of the below

Post by Greyerbeard »

Mine is the Pearl Grey (no choice, used bike!)
It's actually a pleasure to own a modern bike which has had the top coat of gloss paint applied... ;-)
1981 Triumph T140ES
1989 Honda C90
2019 Triumph Street Scrambler 900
2021 Honda Forza 350