Puncturesafe

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
smeghead
Benefactor
Current Ride: GTS 300 Touring

Re: Puncturesafe

Post by smeghead »

Data wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 10:36 am Smeg, did you use the 'special' PuntureSafe wind? It's sold in bags. In fact you can buy a windbag for quite a princely sum if you know where to go. I forgot to remind you about all this! It's useless without that special wind... :o :lol:

Well done by the way!
Thanks for the info Data but I’ve got my own windbag, she’s on the settee as I type.

Data
Benefactor
Current Ride: 2016 Vespa GTS300ie abs asr

Post by Data »

Ooooh...you could be in for some pain if she sees this! :lol:
Probably not ugly enough for the 'Ugly Bunch'! :lol:

Been riding for 54 years & owned too many bikes to list here...

Rocketman122
Current Ride: eee

Post by Rocketman122 »

Another vote for mushroom plugs. They work. Ive had the worms. Some gunk or rain and they slip out.

https://www.stopngo.com/

Data
Benefactor
Current Ride: 2016 Vespa GTS300ie abs asr

Post by Data »

Yes, both the mushrooms and wormy stringy things are all temporary. I've known both types come out during riding. It can be a rather sudden let down!!
Probably not ugly enough for the 'Ugly Bunch'! :lol:

Been riding for 54 years & owned too many bikes to list here...

StephenC
Benefactor
Current Ride: Kymco DT X360

Post by StephenC »

It's a bit odd if you click on the "last message in the thread" icon and only read the post above. :shock:

I had to scroll up to understand the real meaning of it. For a moment, it sounded like a conversation on something very, very different. :lol:
Expert in Close Quarters Combat Filtering
Can is not the same as Should

Pandrop
Benefactor
Current Ride: Bonneville_Fireblade_Helix

Post by Pandrop »

Some puncture-goo type products eat into aluminium -which is an issue if you have tubeless tyres on an aluminium wheel as the seal between tyre and wheel is compromised by the erosion of the metal.

The 'mushroom' type plugs are the ones that I have used and if fitted correctly last the life of the tyre.

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

Data wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 4:13 am Yes, both the mushrooms and wormy stringy things are all temporary. I've known both types come out during riding. It can be a rather sudden let down!!
Well, there are outside and inside plugs/mushrooms. The ones applied from the outside (as done by the AA in my case) are intended as a temporary repair, with at least theoretical limits on speed when fitted (these are the sort I found are pushed back out if you have puncturesafe or whatever in the tyre and it doesn't work). However, I've heard of people leaving them in for extended periods with no probs. There are also the plugs that fitted from the inside, which are intended to be a permanent repair.

Pandrop
Benefactor
Current Ride: Bonneville_Fireblade_Helix

Post by Pandrop »

MrGrumpy wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 6:23 am
Data wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 4:13 am Yes, both the mushrooms and wormy stringy things are all temporary. I've known both types come out during riding. It can be a rather sudden let down!!
Well, there are outside and inside plugs/mushrooms. The ones applied from the outside (as done by the AA in my case) are intended as a temporary repair, with at least theoretical limits on speed when fitted (these are the sort I found are pushed back out if you have puncturesafe or whatever in the tyre and it doesn't work). However, I've heard of people leaving them in for extended periods with no probs. There are also the plugs that fitted from the inside, which are intended to be a permanent repair.
The mushroom plugs that I have used have always been pushed outwards from inside the tyre and have lasted the life of the tyre. That said I suppose it depends on the severity of the puncture, im both my cases it was a small nail hole which was then drilled out by the repairer then copious amounts of glue and a wide-based mushroom pulled through with pliers i.e a proper job. As you rightly say anything applied externally would be a temporary fix.

Red Dog
Current Ride: Suzuki Burgman 400z

Post by Red Dog »

With the puncturesafe, how would you know if it had worked or you just hadn't had a puncture?

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

Red Dog wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:02 am With the puncturesafe, how would you know if it had worked or you just hadn't had a puncture?
I think if it works, the gunge seeps up into the whole and solidifies, so since its normally a lurid pink or green, you can spot it by examining the tyre. Of course, in theory, you don't have to know that it works - that's the point! The trouble may come if you see the nail or screw or whatever that has caused the puncture being still in the tyre. I was never sure whether you are best leaving it there or not. Once I found a huge screw in my (gunged) tyre and foolishly removed it, with the result that I got a flat tyre in 3 seconds, and was then firmly up shite creek without a paddle......