Puncturesafe

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
Scootles
Benefactor
Current Ride: Vespa GTS 300

Re: Puncturesafe

Post by Scootles »

Just pulled a thorn out of my rear tyre - and it deflated. I’m thinking I should have inserted Puncturesafe and rode the bike before pulling the thorn. But I didn’t. Am I likely to be successful if I put the puncturesafe in after the event, pump the tyre up and go for a ride? It is a tiny hole - 1 mm?
If the answer is in the above my apologies for not spotting it.

Jimo
Benefactor
Current Ride: 92 Helix

Post by Jimo »

Puncturesafe will seal such a small hole without difficulty - but remove the tyre valve before putting in the required amount of liquid (shown in package) then remove filling pipe and use tire pump to blow the liquid clear of threads, refit valve and inflate as normal, go for a short ride and adjust tire pressure on return.

Jim
‘82 Honda Lead 80, '84 Lead 125, ‘94 Honda Helix, ‘79 Honda ST70

Data
Benefactor
Current Ride: 2016 Vespa GTS300ie abs asr

Post by Data »

Hi Scootles, yes although it's not designed to be used in that way, Puncturesafe will seal that hole fine if you do it right. And it will be permanent and very safe. Make sure to spin the wheel thoroughly after installing puncturesafe and inflating the tyre (slightly over inflate it) and then ride it straight away for several miles to open up the puncture hole and get both the puncturesafe fibres and fluid into the hole. To do that make sure to brake firmly and accelerate a little harder than usual. But, as ever, take care while carrying out this ride until you know it's properly sealed. But riding it like I describe is the sort of thing that will open the puncture hole up to let puncturesafe get fully into it. It should have bled blue after the ride if it's sealed correctly, although you may have to look hard to see it. Riding the bike straight away after it seals is very important. But above all, read the instructions on how to use Puncturesafe. If you do that it will work. Remember to check the tyre pressure again after riding it. And take a pump with you in case you have to add extra air on your ride.

ps. try not to break the tyre bead seal if you go moving your bike about with a flat tyre. It makes it much more difficult to inflate with a footpump or small compressor. You probably know that though. Good luck!
Probably not ugly enough for the 'Ugly Bunch'! :lol:

Been riding for 54 years & owned too many bikes to list here...

Scootles
Benefactor
Current Ride: Vespa GTS 300

Post by Scootles »

Got an appointment Saturday am at bike shop to plug tyre ( proper permanent job) as delivery of Puncturesafe anything up to a couple of weeks. Ordered some anyway as a preventative measure for the future. Quite expensive but bottle should do three tyres and wheel out and drive to repairer etc a pain in backside over a tiny thorn. Tyre only got 1500 miles on it .

Data
Benefactor

Post by Data »

Just remember, if you use a vulcanised professional plug there is a speed limit imposed upon the tyre of 85mph although that's probably not an issue here. And those plugs do fail (mostly due to heat & your rear tyre gets incredibly hot) especially if not in the centre of the tyre tread. I'd make sure to put some Puncturesafe in it to give you extra protection. Shame there is such as long delay in getting Puncturesafe. Good luck!

wightegi
Current Ride: Forza 300 Honda C90

Post by wightegi »

I have some on order fron eBay ,cheaper than the official website having had a new tyre fitted to the rear on the Xevo and realising what a major task it would be to do on the roadside even if I had a 24mm socket. :o .

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

Back to the Puncturesafe debate! To recap, after some bad experiences with it, and the fact that if you have a gunge in and it doesn't work, a temporary repair can't be done as the gunge pushes the plug back out, I decided that I would NOT use any gunge, but call the AA out to do a temporary fix if needed.
However, after my recent slow puncture, caused by a tiny little nail, I called the AA out, and they plugged it, but the plug didn't fix the leak - in fact it was probably leaking faster than the original puncture! AND I think they used a car-sized plug, creating a wide hole, meaning that the hole is rather wider than the permanent repair plug that could be fitted - so I've now no choice but to buy a new tyre! Which pisses me off....although I this process has worked successfully in the past.
Which devil do you choose? If the AA are going to f*** up their repair and your tyre, then maybe the gunge would be better! But if the gunge fails you are up sh** creek without a paddling instrument! At least the AA will get you home....just, whilst the gunge may allow to ride on unhindered - or leave you waiting for a trailer!

smeghead
Benefactor
Current Ride: GTS 300 Touring

Post by smeghead »

Yer pays yer money and takes yer choice!

Data
Benefactor

Post by Data »

It all comes down to how you use the product (gunge) and how you remove the object stuck in the tyre. Nails you must pull out, screws you MUST remover by screwing out! I've never ever had a failure with it and I can speak with some authority on this. Riding some years near 40,000 miles a year I did pick up several punctures over the years. Tyre puncture holes of varying sizes all fixed ok. But as I have mentioned many times, you must observe all the instructions in the booklet that comes with PunctureSafe. Most people don't follow the instructions and then wonder why they don't get a proper permanent fix or any fix at all. Considering that PunctureSafe will fix a 6mm hole it means you should never really be left by the roadside. Looking at this thread it is easy to see why some folks didn't get a positive result.

And I'm not having a go at anyone either or trying to ridicule anyone. In some respects I blame the demonstrations that you see at motorcycle shows which simply show someone with a motorcycle tyre mounted so it can be punctured and then spun round to allow it to seal. The demo guy punctures the tyre with a screwdriver, removes said screwdriver from the tyre and spins the wheel. It seals straight away. That's fine. But when the bike has a load on it, is stationary, with a bloody great screw or nail in the tyre, it works a bit differently as the PunctureSafe instructions tell you. However, most folks don't read them or forget what to do and just pull out the nail or screw and sit back and watch the tyre deflate! That happens especially if it's a big hole. But even a big hole will seal if you follow those instructions.

I've actually had 2 front wheel punctures and 3 rear wheel punctures in my GTS300 over the last 4 years. All sealed first time straight away. And don't forget these are a permanent seal and they don't leak again. The only thing to watch out for is that if the puncture is on the shoulder of the tyre or sidewall (usually PunctureSafe will fix those), the tyre should be replaced as normal with those sorts of punctures. If the tyre bands have been damaged Punctersafe will tell you by allowing the product to slowly ooze out around the damaged bands. Replace the tyre if that happens. Simples really! Good luck everyone! ;)

Data
Benefactor

Post by Data »

MrGrumpy wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:26 am Back to the Puncturesafe debate! To recap, after some bad experiences with it, and the fact that if you have a gunge in and it doesn't work, a temporary repair can't be done as the gunge pushes the plug back out, I decided that I would NOT use any gunge, but call the AA out to do a temporary fix if needed.
However, after my recent slow puncture, caused by a tiny little nail, I called the AA out, and they plugged it, but the plug didn't fix the leak - in fact it was probably leaking faster than the original puncture! AND I think they used a car-sized plug, creating a wide hole, meaning that the hole is rather wider than the permanent repair plug that could be fitted - so I've now no choice but to buy a new tyre! Which pisses me off....although I this process has worked successfully in the past.
Which devil do you choose? If the AA are going to f*** up their repair and your tyre, then maybe the gunge would be better! But if the gunge fails you are up sh** creek without a paddling instrument! At least the AA will get you home....just, whilst the gunge may allow to ride on unhindered - or leave you waiting for a trailer!
Just so you know Grumpy, the AA guy didn't mess up. It did get you home right! But that's what happens to many temporary repairs of that type, who ever does them, and what ever size plug gets selected. It's a failure that often occurs. And yes I know some of you will say I've used them for years and never had a problem. You're lucky, but probably not that safe! The failure rate of those temporary plugs is greater than something like PunctureSafe which is permanent and when used correctly will never leak again from the same place. It depends on lots of things as to whether a temp plug will stay put. Some of those factors are down to exactly where the hole in the tyre is ie: in between the tread, on the tread, near the shoulder or near the middle of the tyre etc etc. The thickness of the rubber where the hole is can be the main factor as to whether a temporary plug works or not, how old the tyre is and the pliability of the rubber is another. The plug size and type selected another. And there are other factors too which I won't go into here. Having had many temporary plugs fail myself years ago, once during riding which caused a blowout, I vowed never to use them again. And that's the advice from motoring organisation too. They are considered dangerous and must never be used as a permanent repair as they can simply 'let go' without warning. That's what happened to me. Luckily I was able to control the bike and I came to a stop without too much difficulty. It might have been different on a bend or at speed. Years ago these plugs were legal to buy, but illegal to use in the UK. I don't know if that's still the case. As a tech I always refused to fit them, offering a conventional repair only or new tyre. Huge legal implications if I was to ever fit a temporary plug. I'd be finished if it caused an accident. But your insurance company doesn't like those plugs either and I have known a young chap who used me to service his bike who had his insurance withdrawn after an accident due to the fact he had used temporary tyre plugs as a permanent fix. After the 'fix' failed it dumped him on the road and trashed his bike. The insurance assessor found the cause of the accident no problem at all. That same guy now uses PunctureSafe and I still service his scooter 10 years on from his mishap. He learned the lesson!