Puncturesafe

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
smeghead
Benefactor
Current Ride: GTS 300 Touring

Re: Puncturesafe

Post by smeghead »

StuartBrown wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:34 am A word of warning!
I had a chat with a stand holder at Stafford Bike Show last year about his tyre sealant stuff.
He told me that his sealant - Bike Seal - was corrosion free.
Surely they all are corrosion free aren't they? I replied.
NO! Puncturesafe - the pale blue stuff is not. They had seen a Gold Wing wheel in a really bad way that had been running with this sealant.
I have just changed the front tyre on my Integra which has had Puncturesafe in it for about 8K miles, and I was shocked to see the state of the inside of the wheel rim. We have had to remove the new tyre again , clean up the corrosion and apply some sealant gunge to the wheel rim to get the tyre to hold pressure.
Yes, Puncturesafe works, but there is problem.
I now have Bike Seal in the front wheel.
Would like to know if anyone else has come across this.
Stu Brown
Matlock
This info has put a different spin on things for me. I’m not so sure now. I’ve ordered it and it’s on it’s way now but I’m going to chew things over before it goes in the tyres.

Data
Benefactor
Current Ride: Royal Enfield 350 Meteor

Post by Data »

I've used Ultraseal, now Puncturesafe, for over 25 years. I've used it in customers bikes, my bikes, and friends bikes. Not once has any corrosion ever been caused by, or seen when changing tyres on any of these bikes. I have seen plenty of corrosion in bike wheel rims that don't have PunctureSafe in them. Wheel rims do corrode on cars and bikes. It's usually caused by moisture injected into the tyre when inflating it. It cannot escape and therefore can cause corrosion. PunctureSafe if anything will reduce the amount of corrosion as it coats the metal of the rim with a coating that blocks the moisture. Never seen or heard of PunctureSafe causing corrosion. If it does then it's being kept very quiet. And I guess the US Marine Corp, the British Army (we used it in our Landrovers) the millions of trucks you see everyday on the roads that have it in, and the thousands of cars and bikes will all have corrosion. It's the most widely used puncture prevention additive pretty much in the world. i wonder why a competitor would bad mouth them? Can't imagine.
Probably not ugly enough for the 'Ugly Bunch'! :lol:

Been riding for 54 years & owned too many bikes to list here...

Data
Benefactor

Post by Data »

newscooter wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:56 am I thought that the renaming was due to the formulation being changed to comply with EU rules which don't allow some of the nasties in the original US version
From what I was told by PunctureSafe, no that's not it. Ultraseal is (was) non toxic as is Puncturesafe. It was to do with marketing rights and branding. I don't suggest you drink it though...lol.

Just for further information, I've just spoken to my tyre guy. He says he's never seen or attributed any corrosion to PunctureSafe.

Data
Benefactor

Post by Data »

smeghead wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:11 am
StuartBrown wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:34 am A word of warning!
I had a chat with a stand holder at Stafford Bike Show last year about his tyre sealant stuff.
He told me that his sealant - Bike Seal - was corrosion free.
Surely they all are corrosion free aren't they? I replied.
NO! Puncturesafe - the pale blue stuff is not. They had seen a Gold Wing wheel in a really bad way that had been running with this sealant.
I have just changed the front tyre on my Integra which has had Puncturesafe in it for about 8K miles, and I was shocked to see the state of the inside of the wheel rim. We have had to remove the new tyre again , clean up the corrosion and apply some sealant gunge to the wheel rim to get the tyre to hold pressure.
Yes, Puncturesafe works, but there is problem.
I now have Bike Seal in the front wheel.
Would like to know if anyone else has come across this.
Stu Brown
Matlock
This info has put a different spin on things for me. I’m not so sure now. I’ve ordered it and it’s on it’s way now but I’m going to chew things over before it goes in the tyres.
My Burgman 400 which I had for over 5 years had no corrosion in the rear wheel rim when I changed out the rear tyre. It had PunctureSafe in it from new. My last GSX1400 had it in continuously for over 7 years and 170,000 miles with no corrosion. If you check the wheels of any bike that's over 5 years old you will often see corrosion starting even if they don't have PunctureSafe in them. It depends on lots of factors as to whether corrosion starts.

DTO
Current Ride: X-max 300

Post by DTO »

I once used some green slime tyre puncture stuff , That stripped the paint from inside of wheel !
Right mess to clean up at tyre change .

Data
Benefactor

Post by Data »

Yeah, that green stuff called 'Slime' turns to water after 12-14 months. That's what causes the mess. You are supposed to replace it yearly, or at least that is how it used to be. It may have changed now. My bro in law had it in his Triumph Tiger 800. After 6 years he had a new tyre put on and the Slime just ran out like water. He had no idea (because he didn't read the instructions) that it was suppose to be replaced every year. Completely ineffective as a puncture sealant. No corrosion though, but as a puncture sealant it was one of the worst ones at fixing a leak from what I know.

Would definitely recommend PunctureSafe instead. It's non toxic and works if you follow the instructions. I've never had a failure with it in 25 years in cars or bikes., and believe me, I've had a considerable number of punctures on bikes in that time due to covering 30-40,000 miles a year mainly on my GSX1400's and Burgman 650's. PunctureSafe is a game changer in my opinion.

Here's some factory info: https://www.puncturesafe.com/puncturesafe-technical.php

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

DTO wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 4:37 pm I once used some green slime tyre puncture stuff , That stripped the paint from inside of wheel !
Right mess to clean up at tyre change .
Slime is utterly useless....

smeghead
Benefactor

Post by smeghead »

Excellent news, thanks for the confidence inspiring info. It’s definitely going in!

smeghead
Benefactor

Post by smeghead »

Puncturesafe arrived, Puncturesafe installed. Easy peasy job.

Data
Benefactor

Post by Data »

Smeg, did you use the 'special' PuntureSafe wind? It's sold in bags. In fact you can buy a windbag for quite a princely sum if you know where to go. I forgot to remind you about all this! It's useless without that special wind... :o :lol:

Well done by the way!