HONDA HELIX PROJECT HAS LANDED !

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
Pandrop
Benefactor
Current Ride: Bonneville_Fireblade_Helix

Re: HONDA HELIX PROJECT HAS LANDED !

Post by Pandrop »

brennain1 wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 8:49 am
maxiscootnz wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 6:53 am
Pandrop wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 6:44 am

Dunno if its still there , but we used to eat in a little restaurant in downtown Wellington, it was a little old white wooden building sat in amongst tall modern buildings, I cant remember the name but i feel sure it was bulcott street or boulcort street/ avenue perhaps?
Yeah i was past there today i think you are referring to the famous Bulcott street bristro
My brother lives in Tauranga, Bay of Plenty area, went to visit hime about 10 yrs back. Lovely area and a fantastic country.
I think a lot of Brits have someone Somewhere in Oz, NZ or Canada

Jimo
Benefactor
Current Ride: 92 Helix

Post by Jimo »

This ad has been cancelled and re-listed for 7 days. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HONDA-HELIX- ... OSwgntfT-L~

It was withdrawn by seller due to listing problem then re-advertised!

“This listing has been withdrawn by the seller YET AGAIN - because the item has been lost or stolen”

But the listing is still there - starting bid at £100.00 and ended on 10 September !
So much for shite!

Jim
‘82 Honda Lead 80, '84 Lead 125, ‘94 Honda Helix, ‘79 Honda ST70

Pandrop
Benefactor

Post by Pandrop »

Jimo wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 12:50 pm This ad has been cancelled and re-listed for 7 days. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HONDA-HELIX- ... OSwgntfT-L~

Jim
Wasnt that listed at 1600 quid last week?

Pandrop
Benefactor

Post by Pandrop »

Update :

This product works on these plastics.
It must be left for 24 hours to set properly , but its worked on this panel which had a long split in it . It will need a sand down and a touch of paint but its bonded the plastic properly, so Panel saved.

Front brakes removed and are completely toast , every single moving part ...didnt move....my special Brake piston remover couldnt even make the pistons move an inch so I bolted it all back together only to find that the Screws on the MC are rusted in and wouldnt budge even with a chisel and hammer on them

So i piggy-backed a spare fireblade lever onto the Helix and refilled the system so that I could pump the pistons out

To be honest looking at the cost of replacement parts and the ball ache involved in fettling it, Ill look for a new caliper and go down that route instead. Im guessing that this caliper will be used on several other Scoots , does anyone know off hand which ones are compatible?

As i was cleaning the inside of another panel ready for gluing and leaving overnight to set, a name appeared from underneath all the muck and blather with a date.

Finally ...we knew that the Helix was good , but i hadnt realised she could float . ;)

Deleted User 4154

Post by Deleted User 4154 »

Good progress! Master cylinder lid screws are often rusted in, I drill them out. If you do this slowly there when the top comes off there will be enough of the screws left to wind them out with a pair of pliers. You might want to check with David Silvers, but I'm pretty sure the front caliper is unobtanium, pistons and seals are still available from Honda - at a price - and there are also aftermarket repair kits at about sixty quid. I've used both in the past with no problems.

Deleted User 4154

Post by Deleted User 4154 »

Rocketman122 wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 9:13 pm In 2001 i worked for ups and used a ch/freeway 250.similar to this scooter just updated. I really hated to ride it. Acceleration was to slow.
The CH250/Spacy/Elite/Freeway actually predates the Helix. The Helix was developed from the CH for the American market. The CH uses the same engine but weighs 30kg less. I had one for a couple of years and it was pretty quick off the mark. Obviously with 19BHP it's not going to accelerate like a Fireblade, but I can only guess that the one you rode had something wrong with it.
Rocketman122 wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 9:13 pm Rear brake was a foot pedal which is a huge mistake and safety issue. When youre driving in the rain and you feel grip is losing by instinct you want to place both feet on the asphalt to stabilize like training wheels. You want to use rhe rear brakes but cant since its a pedal.
As I said earlier, I've ridden thousands of miles on the CH and CNs and never had the problems you describe using the footbrake. You do realise 99% of motorcycles on the road use a foot-operated rear brake?
Rocketman122 wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 9:13 pm We also had a model called spazio here thats similar to yours
Same scooter, different badges. Strictly speaking, UK bikes are simply CN250s. Only American bikes were badged Helix, European ones were badged Spazio, and the original Japanese domestic market bikes are Fusions.

Jimo
Benefactor
Current Ride: 92 Helix

Post by Jimo »

Pandrop wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 1:04 pm
Jimo wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 12:50 pm This ad has been cancelled and re-listed for 7 days. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HONDA-HELIX- ... OSwgntfT-L~

Jim
Wasnt that listed at 1600 quid last week?
Yes it was listed at £1600 with a buy it now alternative, by re-advertising as an auction perhaps he hopes to get more money for it. Auction time has been extended to 9 days!

Jim
‘82 Honda Lead 80, '84 Lead 125, ‘94 Honda Helix, ‘79 Honda ST70

Pandrop
Benefactor

Post by Pandrop »

Jaz wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 1:53 pm Good progress! Master cylinder lid screws are often rusted in, I drill them out. If you do this slowly there when the top comes off there will be enough of the screws left to wind them out with a pair of pliers. You might want to check with David Silvers, but I'm pretty sure the front caliper is unobtanium, pistons and seals are still available from Honda - at a price - and there are also aftermarket repair kits at about sixty quid. I've used both in the past with no problems.
Thanks for that info Jaz, i'll order a piston and seal kit and get those screws drilled out .

doubleh
Current Ride: zrx 1200

Post by doubleh »

Good job...Fancy a helix myself..quirky shit kinda floats my boat.
Lambretta li 150 1961 (spanish)
Aprilia Dorsoduro 900
ZRX 1200
I need a funky auto :-)

maxiscootnz
Benefactor
Current Ride: various

Post by maxiscootnz »

The later ch250 or freeway post 90 were not the same as the cn250. or ch250 of the mid 1980,s The motor or head was leaning forward at a flat angle rather than upright and had issues with circulation and cooling
Honda fc50 beat, dragster180, spacey250, cn250 Helix , C1(192) k100rs, r1100s