New bigger Forza hinted!

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
bikerdezzie
Current Ride: skyteam dax

Re: New bigger Forza hinted!

Post by bikerdezzie »

The new africa twin has a much better dct which seems to have sorted the problem on the 750s as some find they are in the wrong gear in some situations especially shooting out of some bends so folk prefer manual mode when hooning in the twisties, this tech supposed to be trickling down to the new smaller Africa twin so should address these problems, i just hope they make it much lighter, they are far to heavy for what they are.
Dezzie

phantom309
Current Ride: nc750sa

Post by phantom309 »

MrGrumpy wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 3:42 am Regarding the writer's issue with the X-ADV not changing down when he needed it, he doesn't say what mode he was in. I found that the only way to make serious progress was to be in S2 at all times - if he was in D mode then progress then it doesn't surprise me that it was sludgy!
i'm on my 6th DCT honda now . and i love how they change gear, the XADV has a better tune than the others, an i ride mostly in D' mode all the time. an only use S3 when i want to get a riggle on, (playtime). yes there are a few times when you'd rather be in a different gear. but that's the beauty of the system. if you want a different gear you simply change it . if you had regular gears you'd have to change every gear for your self. most of these magazine test riders are not interested or just plain against DCT as they just want to go flat out on the latest hypersports bike. where DCT is not really made for flat out , knee on the floor riding. it's done for economy and ease of use. Sure you can hussle them quite nicely . but then you start to find things like the brakes are not there for fast riding . in my opinion they should be twin discs anyway on the whole NC range . now if i were to build one, i'd have the XADV upside down forks an it's twin disc's on mine. and a more comfy seat front an back. the fuel tank where it's supposed to be , up front . i don't care about the storage hole as would rather use a tank bag, ( which you can't on the S' because it's plastic. ) the only way is SW MOTEC an you have to drill the lid. an that's not happening. but that's just how I would do it . oh an a much easier way of changing the air filter, what a flipping stupid way of burying a service item.
Good friends don't let you do stupids thing alone .

Scootalli
Current Ride: T Max 530

Post by Scootalli »

The only complaint I had with the DCT was when filtering, it would sometimes hop between 2nd and 1st which was a bit annoying especially when you didnt notice it had dropped to first and then lurch forward a bit too quick when speeding up in traffic

Dave Weller
Benefactor
Current Ride: VespaGTS250 Wave110i

Post by Dave Weller »

I enjoy my DCT NC750S wish I brought one years ago.
Honda NC750 Manual
VESPA GTS250
Royal Enfield HNTR 350
Honda Wave 110i

phantom309
Current Ride: nc750sa

Post by phantom309 »

Scootalli wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 6:19 am The only complaint I had with the DCT was when filtering, it would sometimes hop between 2nd and 1st which was a bit annoying especially when you didnt notice it had dropped to first and then lurch forward a bit too quick when speeding up in traffic
and that's a simple fix too. if filtering /slow riding or even really tight bends / hairpin bends just press manual an it stays in one gear... an once your past it back into your prefered auto . 8-)
Good friends don't let you do stupids thing alone .

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

phantom309 wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 6:19 am
and that's a simple fix too. if filtering /slow riding or even really tight bends / hairpin bends just press manual an it stays in one gear... an once your past it back into your prefered auto . 8-)
Yes....but being a bit picky, you shouldn't have to! After all, Honda spent £Xmillion developing it, and its not a simple thing, but there are times when it gets in the way. Whilst a cheap crude CVT seems to work whatever you do- you just twist and it goes, to coin a phrase.

blackmoon181
Current Ride: SH300i + NC750x

Post by blackmoon181 »

I must admit, CVTs have many things going for them and make bags of sense for urban work! but like everything in life they have a number of cons!

Data
Benefactor
Current Ride: 2016 Vespa GTS300ie abs asr

Post by Data »

If you want a powerful CVT then that type of transmission is not so good. They wear the belts out over time. Most don't have a pre-determined belt replacement time so eventually the belts break. It's very much the same for cars with CVT too. When the belt breaks it will bankrupt you. IT can do lots and lots of damage...and I'm thinking of you Honda! And again there is no belt replacement time recommended because the cost of doing that is horrendous. So eventually the belts always break as we are now seeing in increasing numbers. I've been asked to have a go at replacing a Honda Jazz CVT belt that broke a couple of days ago. As yet I haven't costed the operation but it's likely the whole gearbox will need to be changed at huge cost. Replacing individual parts is likely to cost much more.

DCT is much better but has it's problems. Bikes not so much, but cars, lots of problems for most makes of car. I've had two VAG group cars with DCT or DSG as they called it. They were so troublesome that I rejected one new car after just 30 days (with compensation) as it couldn't be fixed, and the second brand new replacement car that had a revised version of the same DSG box had even more problems, which turned out to be fairly typical for that type of transmission. I've now bought a car with the new more efficient computer controlled torque converter auto transmission. Not a single problem in over two years. Shame we can't do that on bikes.
Probably not ugly enough for the 'Ugly Bunch'! :lol:

Been riding for 54 years & owned too many bikes to list here...

smeghead
Benefactor
Current Ride: GTS 300 Touring

Post by smeghead »

Hi Data, I have read horror stories about the DCT gearboxes in VW products. I changed to an automatic a couple of years ago and opted for an old style torque converter model. I read on Honest Johns website that Ford have decided to ditch their DCT version as is it was so unreliable, Ford have gone back to torque converter autos. If it aint broke, don’t fix it.

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

smeghead wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 12:57 pm Hi Data, I have read horror stories about the DCT gearboxes in VW products. I changed to an automatic a couple of years ago and opted for an old style torque converter model. I read on Honest Johns website that Ford have decided to ditch their DCT version as is it was so unreliable, Ford have gone back to torque converter autos. If it aint broke, don’t fix it.
I don't take a lot of notice of car tech and trends, so I find this a bit surprising. Why should a DCT be so unreliable? The electronics maybe complex, but the mechanical bits don't seem that strange. And Honda don't seem to be having many issues with DCT gearboxes on bikes. The snag with a torque converter is that its not very efficient - or have car makers come up with some wheeze to improve things? I heard that there are ways of 'locking' the converter at speed to improve efficiency, at least at cruising speeds.

The more I hear of problems with VW car technology, the more grateful I am that I've never bought one of their products! How did they get their reputation for quality???