General advice / "mid size" Maxi

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
tomz
Current Ride: Piaggio Medley

Re: General advice / "mid size" Maxi

Post by tomz »

Scootalli wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 5:00 am For town only I would get a PCX 125, the fastest thing there is from 0 to 30 feet away!

It is like having a 60mph bicycle and you can get through very small spots, drive down the pavement/alleyways, park it anywhere and probably get it in your house without a foot down!

Plus it is like free motoring, can be sold in hours if you dont want it anymore, cheap to buy and run smart and good looking too.

300 will only benefit you on dual carriage ways and motorways.

I reckon Forza is slightly smaller than xmax, but has crap mirrors and in London you need good mirrors.
i do like the pcx, but i think it gives me less than the medley, which has some nice safety features and huge storage

wightegi
Current Ride: Forza 300 Honda C90

Post by wightegi »

For city living the Honda Vision 110 would be good , add a screen and top box to help comfort .Scootyman on Utube has a lot of information on them .

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

tomz wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 5:15 am
i can't remember exactly, but i thought i read somewhere that some of the burgman line was being discontinued
Well, the 650 has vanished recently. I was slightly surprised to see the 200 still on the Suzuki website - I thought that vanished when the new version came out, but its obviously back again! At £4.300 it's a relative bargain - plenty of people want £4500 for a 125 (ie Sym, Honda Forza).

tomz
Current Ride: Piaggio Medley

Post by tomz »

MrGrumpy wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:34 am
tomz wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 5:15 am
i can't remember exactly, but i thought i read somewhere that some of the burgman line was being discontinued
Well, the 650 has vanished recently. I was slightly surprised to see the 200 still on the Suzuki website - I thought that vanished when the new version came out, but its obviously back again! At £4.300 it's a relative bargain - plenty of people want £4500 for a 125 (ie Sym, Honda Forza).
i see on the poll here that the burgman seems the overwhelming favourite of choice. why do people love it so much? I just looked, and it seems low on some of the things that now might come as standard, like ABS, traction control, stop-start idling, keyless ignition.

the forza seems like the complete package.. just wish it was a bit smaller

MrGrumpy
Benefactor

Post by MrGrumpy »

Yes, but the Burger 200 is around a Grand less than the Forza 125! There again, unless M-ways were on the agenda, I'd probably pick the Forza as well! And the OP was looking for something with lots of road prescence - ie bigger.

MrGrumpy
Benefactor

Post by MrGrumpy »

tomz wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 5:15 am thank you all - some great advice here. I will definitely take another look at the forza, the sym and I hadn't even considered the burgman 200.. i wonder if that extra 75cc will give me all the poke i want without the headache of massive premiums and theft risk. maybe a good plan.

if i'm honest, i think the 300 step up is more about ego and "progressing" to something bigger.
The Burger 200 goes reasonably well - its got 18bhp, so it will go about 75 or so. Faster than a 125 with 15bhp, but not in the same league as 300/350 with 25-30bhp. Of course, the Bev 350ST had around 35bhp and that really shifted....

The advantage of a 300 is that you can tackle longer journeys on faster roads (even tackle the M25!), but if you believe civilisation ends beyond Canary Wharf or Hammersmith, then there's no point in going beyond 125cc.

blackmoon181
Current Ride: SH300i + NC750x

Post by blackmoon181 »

All of what you have listed are great scoots in their own right and they all have their pro's and con's. i would try and ride as many of them as you can to get a feel for their ergo's. you might be surprised what you get on with and what you don't.

300 is a nice to have but for city work is probably overkill. we all want to win the red light race though don't we. a 300 will keep up with all but the most determined bikers and cars with a point to prove.
i remember commuting on a 125 in a city and having the feeling of slowing traffic down on 40mph roads. however my vespa had only 8bhp versus many of the 125's with almost double!

oh... and get a second hand slightly beat up sliver sh300. obviously biased but who in the right mind would be caught getting a bike that has delivered one too many pizza's! doesn't look great but can carry a decent amount in between your legs and has the largest wheels short of a motorbike. the italians love them! but remember larger wheels have more of a gyro effect and aren't as nimble to turn!

richie the 1st
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda sh125 Suzuki Address FL1

Post by richie the 1st »

wightegi wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 6:44 am For city living the Honda Vision 110 would be good , add a screen and top box to help comfort .Scootyman on Utube has a lot of information on them .
yes but also a suzuki address 110 uk,and i have heard not being sold next year,so there will be some at pre-reg prices. :)
Old honda sh125.
New Honda sh125.
Ride free,ride safe.

Deleted User 4154

Post by Deleted User 4154 »

tomz wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:07 am i see on the poll here that the burgman seems the overwhelming favourite of choice. why do people love it so much? I just looked, and it seems low on some of the things that now might come as standard, like ABS, traction control, stop-start idling, keyless ignition.
I think it's because the 400 Burgman was a game changer when it came out, and it remained the standard for a good number of years. I had one of the early 400s and it was a brilliant all-rounder, as capable in city traffic as it was cruising along at motorway speeds in comfort with all your camping gear stowed away. Time passes though and, as you say, newer machines appear that are improved by having to compete with with the Burgman, and boasting lots of new features too.

I live a long way from London, but I have read plenty about scooter theft in the capital. Were I in your position, I'd be inclined to stick with what I'd got, as I don't think for the sort of riding you describe that you'd notice the benefit of a scoot with more poke, plus you'd have the added 'scrote appeal' of the new machine to deal with. If you've got a bit of cash to spare at the mo, then maybe splash out on a screen for the Piaggio - that was something that made my 110cc Honda 50 immeasurably more comfortable for winter commuting - and treat it to an Almax chain if you're stuck with on-street parking.

MrGrumpy
Benefactor

Post by MrGrumpy »

Jaz wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 7:50 am

I live a long way from London, but I have read plenty about scooter theft in the capital. Were I in your position, I'd be inclined to stick with what I'd got, as I don't think for the sort of riding you describe that you'd notice the benefit of a scoot with more poke, plus you'd have the added 'scrote appeal' of the new machine to deal with.
Now, I'm not an expert on London scrote appeal of various scooters, but in my experience of owning various scoots of ascending sizes and commuting (fortunately to an office with a security person), the smaller scoots can be more attractive to such people than the bigger ones. The security man at my office often used to report that the local chavs would occasionally look over small scoots, but the bigger ones were of no interest to them - presumably seeming too big, heavy and generally intimidating to people who intended to ride it without the benefit of any training or experience!