Model of Honda Helix

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
Jimo
Benefactor
Current Ride: 92 Helix

Model of Honda Helix

Post by Jimo »

Info just received info that a 1/18 scale model would be 125.8mm in length, it’s first necessary to create a 3D model of the real bike then reproduce it in resin.
The whole process is Custom from creating the drawings to manufacturing all parts until finishing by air brush and hand.
The estimated cost would be £2000 inc Vat and would take around 8 weeks!

I was thinking of about 8 to 9” in length so figures would alter considerably.
I recon Costs could be reduced by a kind of mass production but to even get an idea I’d need to know an approximate number of folk who would be prepared to pay. (Not pay me!) if interested please PM me.

Jim
‘82 Honda Lead 80, '84 Lead 125, ‘94 Honda Helix, ‘79 Honda ST70

GrahamH
Current Ride: Honda Helix

Re: Model of Honda Helix

Post by GrahamH »

Hi Jim, I have a little experience of selling model cars (including commissioning unique models) and the critical thing is to balance quality with price. Have you seen any examples of other models they have produced? Another consideration is to produce both a finished model and also a kit, this opens up the marketing opportunities. Do you have an idea of what the maker would be asking for a finished model or kit? From my past experience I would estimate a batch of 50 built and 50 kits could be sold, (could take up to 3 years to clear them) but as I say it all depends on the quality of the model.
.................Graham

Deleted User 4154

Post by Deleted User 4154 »

GrahamH wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 7:53 am From my past experience I would estimate a batch of 50 built and 50 kits could be sold, (could take up to 3 years to clear them)
You'd have to factor in selling them worldwide, I suspect, as there aren't even 40 left on the road in the UK...

GrahamH

Post by GrahamH »

They would need to be sold world wide but they would also appeal to model collectors who collect scooter models. l would think only a relatively small percentage of Helix owners are interested in a model, especially at a non commercial price that small scale production would need. There is also a small risk that a commercial model may be released which would take away most of the sales. This happened to me with a model of the Velorex 3 wheeler and it took forever to sell the remaining models.

Pandrop
Benefactor
Current Ride: Bonneville_Fireblade_Helix

Post by Pandrop »

I like the idea Jim, I wonder if there is anyone in Japan making models of the Fusion that could be imported into the UK

Jimo
Benefactor

Post by Jimo »

Seeing the price quoted I’ve also written to Maisto - makers of fine models, but have not yet received a reply.

19 Fusions for sale in Japan!

Jim

GrahamH

Post by GrahamH »

I have found evidence of 4 Helix / Fusion models. The first two are either 1:20 or maybe 1:24 scale. I believe these to be quite rare as I have been searching for them for a few years now. The Hot Wheels model I am not so sure about, this picture exists but I suspect it is a hoax as I have never found any other evidence that Hot Wheels ever made the Honda model. The little white one is the only model I have managed to source, it is about 2" long.

Eventually one of the major toy/model makers will latch on to the Helix, it's only a matter of time.

Graham

Jimo
Benefactor

Post by Jimo »

GrahamH wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 4:30 pm Image

I have found evidence of 4 Helix / Fusion models. The first two are either 1:20 or maybe 1:24 scale. I believe these to be quite rare as I have been searching for them for a few years now. The Hot Wheels model I am not so sure about, this picture exists but I suspect it is a hoax as I have never found any other evidence that Hot Wheels ever made the Honda model. The little white one is the only model I have managed to source, it is about 2" long.

Eventually one of the major toy/model makers will latch on to the Helix, it's only a matter of time.

Graham
Good Secret Graham...? Where did you get it from? Can’t find anything like it!

Jim

GrahamH

Post by GrahamH »

There is another of the little white models for sale on Ebay, search 'novelty fusion figure bike honda' to find it. It is silly expensive, I think I paid about £5 for mine.