Inevitable really.

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
Data
Benefactor
Current Ride: 2016 Vespa GTS300ie abs asr

Re: Inevitable really.

Post by Data »

Hi Horobags,

To rustproof under the floor panel (as opposed to under the bike) you just need to lift up the flooring. To do it properly lift off the glove box compartment as it makes removal of the floor panel much easier to completely remove it. It's not hard and is quite straight forward. You will also need to take off the rear side skirts, again that's easy. None of it is hard to do but if you haven't done it before you just need to take your time. There are online videos showing how it's done and you only need basic tools to do it. You probably know all this, but just for the sake of others I'm mentioning it. Rustproofing the battery compartment is of course very easy as you will no doubt know and you don't have to lift up the floor to do that bit of it. Would recommend Waxoyl or similar, not ACF50 as you'll need to do it again if you do. ACF50 is not a permanent rustproofer like Waxoyl is.

I've serviced quite a few GTS and GT Vespas over the years and some of them have had really high mileages on them. Never had one with any rust to the body work come in for service. A GTS250 that I regularly serviced had over 82,000 miles on the clock. All trouble free miles too. The only work I had to do on it was to replace a water pump, variator and clutch. But those items are all consumable items anyway, just really like brake pads, belts, rollers, coolant etc etc. I also serviced a couple of GTS300's one of which covered over 88,000 miles. I serviced it for the last 30,000 miles that the owner had it. Again, remarkably no issues with the bike other than a water pump and variator plus the usual consumables. It was even on it's original clutch although I replaced the rear inner clutch bearing at a total cost of £15 and the rear exhaust hanger (swing arm) bearing (cost of £25).

The thing I love about the GTS range is that everything is pretty cheap and very easy to service. Whatever you need you can order it online and it's there the next day right down to even a particular screw or fitting. Belts and rollers are cheap compared to other maxi scooters as are air filters etc. An oil change every 6250 miles is also a bonus as many scooters require oil and filter changes much earlier. If you like to diy your services or engine overhauls even, it's easy! Nothing hard on these bikes. I've completed an engine rebuild on a GTS300 for a customer and although it was my first overhaul of that engine type, I didn't find it daunting at all.

Let us all know if you do the deed. Your thoughts on the HPE will be welcome.
Probably not ugly enough for the 'Ugly Bunch'! :lol:

Been riding for 54 years & owned too many bikes to list here...

horobags
Benefactor
Current Ride: RE 350 classic vision 110

Post by horobags »

Thanks Data, I dont suppose there is anything I can do till this shit storm is over, also due to go in hospital for my new knee on friday(fingers crossed), so by end of lockdown hopefully march I'll be visiting a few dealers.
Im not a gynecologist, but I dont mind taking a look.

Data
Benefactor
Current Ride: 2016 Vespa GTS300ie abs asr

Post by Data »

Exciting times ahead Horobags! Have fun having a test ride. But first, get that knee sorted. Hope it all goes well for you. Stay safe! ;)
Probably not ugly enough for the 'Ugly Bunch'! :lol:

Been riding for 54 years & owned too many bikes to list here...

smeghead
Benefactor
Current Ride: GTS 300 Touring

Post by smeghead »

The Vespa is very easy to get on and off of Horobags. I had a hip replacement a year ago and the Vespa is simple to handle. I think it’s up there with the best two wheeler I’ve ever had. Although I did adore my Guzzi Cali’s!

Dave Weller
Benefactor
Current Ride: VespaGTS250 Wave110i

Post by Dave Weller »

There are good YouTube vids by Robot of West coast scooters to supplement the excellent comments about the Vespa range including 3 hours of breaking down and rebuilding of a couple of GTS scooters.
Honda NC750 Manual
VESPA GTS250
Royal Enfield HNTR 350
Honda Wave 110i