2000 Miles on TMax 530

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
Scootalli
Current Ride: T Max 530

2000 Miles on TMax 530

Post by Scootalli »

Hi All

Some points I have found since I got my new TMax 530 DX this year.

It was a left over new old model 530, but has a lot of extras on it, almost all of them now!

Akropovic Exhaust (that goes to headers)
Tail Tidy
Comfort Seat
Brake Reservoir Covers
Belt Cover
Rear Hugger
Light protectors
Handguards

and probably some other things I forget, but so far I have the following pluses and minuses if you are considering:

Price is very high, hard to justfiy, I got at a good discount and had a nearly new scoot to PX so made it less painful and it came with akro and tail tidy thrown in.

New with all the bits at list price an equivalent 560 would be about £14k which is going way into other territories.

Plus Points:

Comfortable and fast 20-80mph
Handling very good and composed over bumps
Creature comforts (heated seat/grips)
Electric screen is very useful and effective
Akro exhaust sounds great, quiet when pootling and nice noise when going for it without being droney on the motorway
Very good looking bike IMO
Riding Modes are useful
Display options/menus are easy to use and have everything you need
Gets attention (but only from other scooter riders!)
Great fun down country lanes
Cruise control is useful in average speed zones
Brakes are good especially rear

Negative Points:

Price is very hard to justify
Speedo is a bit silly, it goes to 130mph and 70mph is at about 10-11 'oclock' - KPH bikes have top at 160kph (100mph) which makes at lot more sense as the range of speeds used most often on UK bike is crammed in
Top speed is only just 100mph for me with screen up, Im quite heavy.
Bit slow off the line, until 20mph
Tiny bit cramped for taller riders, but less so than XMax
Original seat a bit thin
Not great on fuel, averaging high 50s and on motorway is worse (1000cc motorbike can do high 40s and 60 on the motorway) UK MPG
Range not great, 150 miles max ish quite often a lot less before fuel light comes on. Dont think 200 miles is really achievable.
Only one keyless key

With regard quality, not yet sure, but has been reliable so far.

Things I would like to see:

Faster initial acceleration
Bit more storage, but then storage is okay for this bike
Redesign dash either with digital elements or analogue speedo that goes all the way around to say top 120mph to make speeds you use easier to see.
Should come with two 'keys'

Threats to this bike

Best scooter I have owned, I do have soft spot for X ADV and the new one looks ace, but would be sacrificing a few things to go to one.

Not many scoots are in competition with TMax and only new XADV i would consider over TMax

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Re: 2000 Miles on TMax 530

Post by MrGrumpy »

Interesting.

I never really noticed a lack of inital acceleration, though I tend to ride on more rural roads, so don't take part in many Traffic Light GPs etc. I'm always amazed at the mid range punch though, eg overtaking someone after exiting a roundabout. You just twist the throttle and you are past!

Range: If you are getting high 50s mpg, then with a 15 ltr tank the maximum theoretical range is around 190 miles. Of course, reserve is 3 litres so it will be reading empty at 150 miles. It depends on how brave you are! I'm not, I dive into a petrol station after I've done 100 miles! Fuel consumption is to an extent how you ride it - better figures are available with gentle riding, so I don't see those! It is appreciably more economical than earlier versions though, despite the extra performance.

I'm sure an elec screen would be nice, though my fixed screen with added wind deflector works well enough and only cost £40.

Yes, a 2nd smart key would be nice. Of course you can buy one from Mr Yamaha, and they aren't too expensive, but you have to pay for it to be programmed, and thats something like £150

As for price, I remember a our favourite YouTuber CagerOn2Wheels. He said something to the effect that a Tmax will do everything a small scooter will do, everything that a decent bike will do, and puts a huge grin on your face every time you ride it, which is why it justifies its outrageous price!! I think he has a point....

Symcity
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda SH300i

Post by Symcity »

There’s no doubt that the tmax is a quality piece of equipment though it does come at a price - I suppose if you are prepared to pay upwards of eight grand for a scooter then economy may not be your top priority - having said that the new torquey Honda integra and xadv are very frugal on fuel and both offer decent acceleration and top end speed - and in that respect I think I would choose one of the Hondas over the Yamaha

Scootalli

Post by Scootalli »

It is true that economy is not my priority, range is a bit more important to me and it is just about okay,

With regard the hondas, the XADV is my favourite and I have owned one before and wouldnt rule out going back to one. If I was doing a lot of motorway the XADV is better.

Still needs belt drive and bigger storage imo, but it is not a total deal breaker, or may be it is, I am a bit torn.

Do love the TMax and as Mr Grumpy says it really does go when you want it to (to a point), but easily overtake cars on country roads.

I can keep up with my friend who has a 75bhp motorbike on the road which says something.

Maybe I will wait and see the new XADV in real life, the width is a bit of a killer for me on the XADV though...

PS To Mr Grumpy - the electric screen is the best thing I have ever had on a bike :)

StephenC
Benefactor
Current Ride: Kymco DT X360

Post by StephenC »

Scootalli wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:03 am
PS To Mr Grumpy - the electric screen is the best thing I have ever had on a bike :)
I thought the electric screen on the Forza 300 was fairly pointless... until I got one. I just wish the Forza one went a few inches higher, but then I think they may have fixed this for the 350.
Expert in Close Quarters Combat Filtering
Can is not the same as Should

Stephen
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda Forza 350

Post by Stephen »

I have found the Tmax most satisfying in my 30 months of ownership,no real problems to report,the recalls were all done without any hassle,love the cruise,heated seat & grips as standard are nice,a charging point on the handlebars would be nice,my XL lid wont fit under the seat,but i invested in a top box after a year,a gloss colour would be nice,not a keen fan of Matt paint.....also happy with the X ADV,the new 2021 model looks to be good,i am due to change both bikes next year and will be going to a single motorcycle,as i am not doing anywhere near the miles i used to do a couple of years ago.Although the ADV is nice for 2021 i am at the moment going down the 560 tmax avenue,chopping both bikes in,unless one of the other manufacturers come up with a new Maxi Scooter that “floats my boat”

Steve
Honda Forza 350

Ride Safe Ride Upright
"Better to be late in this world,rather than early in the next world"

Scootalli

Post by Scootalli »

Stephen wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:22 am I have found the Tmax most satisfying in my 30 months of ownership,no real problems to report,the recalls were all done without any hassle,love the cruise,heated seat & grips as standard are nice,a charging point on the handlebars would be nice,my XL lid wont fit under the seat,but i invested in a top box after a year,a gloss colour would be nice,not a keen fan of Matt paint.....also happy with the X ADV,the new 2021 model looks to be good,i am due to change both bikes next year and will be going to a single motorcycle,as i am not doing anywhere near the miles i used to do a couple of years ago.Although the ADV is nice for 2021 i am at the moment going down the 560 tmax avenue,chopping both bikes in,unless one of the other manufacturers come up with a new Maxi Scooter that “floats my boat”

Steve
I found the Forza 300 screen good, but it didnt go high enough for me...

The TMax one is perfect, could do with some leg deflectors though, but cant find a source for these?

Regarding the above, ask a silly question, but why do you want to change your existing TMax (and sell the XADV)?

Cheers

wilsonsteve
Benefactor

Post by wilsonsteve »

I, too, find the Forza screen too low, and at its highest setting it causes more wind noise than at its lowest. One good point; if it rains I wind the screen right up and it flips all the droplets off my visor.

Stephen
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda Forza 350

Post by Stephen »

Scootalli wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 2:12 pm
I found the Forza 300 screen good, but it didnt go high enough for me...

The TMax one is perfect, could do with some leg deflectors though, but cant find a source for these?

Regarding the above, ask a silly question, but why do you want to change your existing TMax (and sell the XADV)?

Cheers
[/quote]

I usually change every 3 or 4 years,little bit stuck for storage space where i am and i as said doing a lot less miles now,so just one machine,cant beat a maxi scoot.....if they still made them,i would always consider a new 650 Burger as i loved all my Burgmans,most comfortable machine i have owned

Steve
Honda Forza 350

Ride Safe Ride Upright
"Better to be late in this world,rather than early in the next world"

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

Scootalli wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 2:12 pm

Yes, you're quite right! And No, I've never seen any either!