A Good Start....

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

A Good Start....

Post by MrGrumpy »

So after a week of crap weather here, its a bit warmer so I decide to go out. Leap on the 09 Tmax and ride off but it feels strange - return to base and find that the rear tyre has very little pressure in, and further examination reveals the end of a nail in the tread. Bugger! I think, I'll sort this out later, so leap on the 17 Tmax, and ride off, but notice that the engine warning light is on! Runs absolutely fine, but the light is a worry. Anyone know how to interrogate the system to find an error code? The owners handbook isn't helpful, it just says 'have a Yamaha dealer check the vehicle', which isn't easy on Boxing Day!

lenny
Current Ride: Honda Forza 350

Re: A Good Start....

Post by lenny »

Not a good start, just remember bad luck comes in threes ;) on a positive note, the Silverwing came out this morning with no dramas. Happy new year!

Data
Benefactor
Current Ride: 2016 Vespa GTS300ie abs asr

Post by Data »

MrGrumpy wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 5:09 am So after a week of crap weather here, its a bit warmer so I decide to go out. Leap on the 09 Tmax and ride off but it feels strange - return to base and find that the rear tyre has very little pressure in, and further examination reveals the end of a nail in the tread. Bugger! I think, I'll sort this out later, so leap on the 17 Tmax, and ride off, but notice that the engine warning light is on! Runs absolutely fine, but the light is a worry. Anyone know how to interrogate the system to find an error code? The owners handbook isn't helpful, it just says 'have a Yamaha dealer check the vehicle', which isn't easy on Boxing Day!
Hi Grumpy, you'll need to put it in to dealer mode, but you likely know that. Dealers use a tool for this. The plug is usually under the seat in the wiring harness on most bikes but that may not be the case on the T-max. I've never had the privilege of working on one. Did you try turning it off and then on again? How long did the bike stand for prior to the ride. Sometimes the fuel additives settle at the bottom of the tank and if you don't shake the bike/fuel up before starting the engine it will suck some of the thick sticky goo from the tank into the engine which in turn will affect the injector pattern causing incorrect burn. This gets picked up on the lambda and the light comes on. It's not uncommon and normally will self correct with some new fuel and a shot or two of Redex fuel injector cleaner.
Probably not ugly enough for the 'Ugly Bunch'! :lol:

Been riding for 54 years & owned too many bikes to list here...

MrGrumpy
Benefactor

Post by MrGrumpy »

It hasn't been used that much due to filthy roads, but it did have a decent run a few days ago - it hasn't stood for more than a week or so. Yes, I tried turning it off and on, but no change!!
I believe the magic socket is buried under the front fairing near the battery, so even getting to it is a mechanic's job in itself!
Its running fine, but if I ride it, I'm worried that some actual fault will develop leaving me stranded at the roadside.

StephenC
Benefactor
Current Ride: Kymco DT X360

Post by StephenC »

A reminder that 2020 hasn't finished with us yet.
Expert in Close Quarters Combat Filtering
Can is not the same as Should

Jimo
Benefactor
Current Ride: 92 Helix

Post by Jimo »

Oh for a real bike having simple electrics plus even a kick start!

Jim
‘82 Honda Lead 80, '84 Lead 125, ‘94 Honda Helix, ‘79 Honda ST70

EvilRacer329
Current Ride: Yamaha T-Max DX

Post by EvilRacer329 »

Hey Grumpy, I had this happen to me when I hadn't ridden my '17 for a while and it coughed, spluttered, and died on startup. Got it going with a little coaxing, but then the check engine light was stuck on. I left it for a while, expecting it might clear after a few power cycles like my Triumph, but no dice. In the end I purchased an OBD2 reader and adapter cable and located the diagnostic plug behind the battery panel on the fairing. I think there was some complaint about fuelling or something - I cleared the code and haven't had it come back since.

It's but the work of a moment, and I have all the kit now - whereabouts are you based?

Nick

MrGrumpy
Benefactor

Post by MrGrumpy »

EvilRacer329 wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 6:56 am Hey Grumpy, I had this happen to me when I hadn't ridden my '17 for a while and it coughed, spluttered, and died on startup. Got it going with a little coaxing, but then the check engine light was stuck on. I left it for a while, expecting it might clear after a few power cycles like my Triumph, but no dice. In the end I purchased an OBD2 reader and adapter cable and located the diagnostic plug behind the battery panel on the fairing. I think there was some complaint about fuelling or something - I cleared the code and haven't had it come back since.

It's but the work of a moment, and I have all the kit now - whereabouts are you based?

Nick
I'm in the North East, but its OK - I went to my local workshop and they plugged in a code reader. The fault code was something about a 'Stall Warning' which sounds like your plane is about to crash! They did some sort of reset and cleared the fault and the warning light went out. There were no obvious symptoms of this fault - it was starting and running just as normal. Although it's been used less than normal - filthy roads and terrible amounts of black ice - it has had a couple of outings, and hasn't stood for more than 10 days or so without being used.

EvilRacer329
Current Ride: Yamaha T-Max DX

Post by EvilRacer329 »

Ah, excellent. Yeah, mine was the same - no other symptoms. Whenever I read the codes out of my Triumph there's a handful of old ones from one-off starting or stalling issues, but at least the lights go out on their own if it's just a one-off. I'm afraid it's been weeks since I've ridden any of my bikes, so I go out to the garage once a week and rotate the trickle charger around. I've found that the T-Max's battery is pretty marginal at the best of times, and goes flat incredibly quickly. But even then, it does not like starting after it's been sat a while - really needs coaxing with a bit of throttle! Not something I'd expect from a modern fuel-injected engine...

Nick

Data
Benefactor
Current Ride: 2016 Vespa GTS300ie abs asr

Post by Data »

Glad it's ok Grumpy!
Probably not ugly enough for the 'Ugly Bunch'! :lol:

Been riding for 54 years & owned too many bikes to list here...