2021 - The plan for the new year.

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
roadster
Benefactor
Current Ride: Silence S01

2021 - The plan for the new year.

Post by roadster »

My resolution for this year on the scooter front is to go electric so it may well be goodbye to the wonderful AK550. If anyone is interested it will probably be sold for half the new price even though there are less than 4000 miles on the clock. Please PM me if interested.

I would have liked to match the Kymco with an electric maxi which has the same capabilities. i.e. The convenience and weather protection of a maxi scooter with the power, handling, and braking of a sports bike. But having studied the current crop of electric scooters I have concluded that this is wishful thinking because its only the medium sized models that are proven through sales in European markets at the moment. So I am resigned to having separate machines again, scooter for convenience and local trips, medium sized sports bike for the best riding experience and enjoyment. As the years take their toll on my strength my theme will be looking for weight savings, anything over 200 kg being hard work in and out of the garage now.

So on to the bike selection, with apologies to scooter purists. My present favourites are the Yamaha MT 07 2021 model or the KTM Duke 790, but I won't get into a showroom any time soon so if you have experience of either of these please let me have your thoughts.

Best wishes to all for a happier 2021.
Located on UK South Coast
SYM Joymax 125 and Honda CB300R. Previously Silence S01, Kymco AK550, Triumph Tiger 850, Triumph Street Twin etc...

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Re: 2021 - The plan for the new year.

Post by MrGrumpy »

You've identified the big snag with electric vehicles at the moment. They are supremely good at some things (eg local trips), but utterly useless for others (touring), so you need two vehicles to do the different jobs, whilst a good maxi can do (almost) everything. Its exactly the same with cars & scoots. I keep hearing of revolutionary improvements to battery technology (eg using Graphene) which will enable batteries to have greater ranges and faster recharging, but we shall see when these come along. For now, I'm sticking to Petrol!

SH125Paul
Benefactor
Current Ride: SH125 - NC750X DCT

Post by SH125Paul »

Get the NC off the charger and get some miles done... and bimble about on the SH... Roll on Spring
Must admit, havent missed commuting in the rain n cold...

mottza
Admin
Current Ride: 2023 Honda ADV350

Post by mottza »

Give the Forza a wash and paint the forks.

No major plans I think for this year as I think this summer will be similar to the last Covid wise. Maybe do a weekend with my Dad.
2023 Honda ADV350 & 2020 Honda Super Cub 125

Dave Weller
Benefactor
Current Ride: VespaGTS250 Wave110i

Post by Dave Weller »

My plan is to go touring on my own when the weather is good, make use of my retired status, first trip is a hotel in mid Wales and day rides around the area, using 'Bikers Britain' by Simon Weir book for inspiration.
Honda NC750 Manual
VESPA GTS250
Royal Enfield HNTR 350
Honda Wave 110i

wightegi
Current Ride: Forza 300 Honda C90

Post by wightegi »

This time of year I would be getting my camping gear ready for a weekend away to Snowdonia for the Dragon Rally,but it is not going ahead and nobody knows when the 60th rally will take place Last year it was held during storm Ciara .
Watch out for wet roads that have been gritted the salt is not good for steel and they can have less grip than a normal wet road .