Best choice

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
2wheelover51
Current Ride: 2012 Burgman 400 Limited

Best choice

Post by 2wheelover51 »

Hi all.
Since selling my TMax 500 a while back I've been a lurker on Maxi-muppets from time to time. My only 2 wheeler is my second CBF600SA8. Had it a little over a year now, but the desire for another scoot has resurfaced after I tore my right meniscus (knee cartilage). I realised the ease of riding would have meant I could have easily continued to ride without pain.
I'm now thinking of getting another scoot, but something with a bit more economy. I'm thinking a Burgman 400, maybe around 2012. I prefer the shape of the older models to the latest one which just looks like every other scooter out there. I've also looked at a Piaggio X10 500, which looks like a nice scoot, but wonder about the availability of parts compared to the Burgman, and the reliability of all that tech. All advice will be gratefully accepted!

SH125Paul
Benefactor
Current Ride: SH125 - NC750X DCT

Re: Best choice

Post by SH125Paul »

Depending on ya $£€¥ - If ya want a Maxi maybe the last of the Yam 400 Majestys, or early XMax400?
If ya likes a Skinny... bound to find an SH300 that fits ya budget... SH flat floor 'n easy step through, no tunnel...
Twist n Go - They Just Make Sense...
Im on a SH125 and NC750X DCT

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

Piaggio parts supply is immeasurably better than it used to be. When I had my Bev 350, I had no problem with parts at all.
The Kymco 350/400s are well worth considering if you have a dealer within reach.
As for all the tech. on modern scoots - well.....there's no way of knowing. Whilst it generally works most of the time, I've read reports on practically all makes of bike or scoot where owners have problems with some of the tech some of the time!

2wheelover51

Post by 2wheelover51 »

Thanks for the replies.
Paul, I would have a Majesty 400 if I found a good low mileage model at the right price. Re: the SH300. I know they're good bikes but want the full scoot protection and extra storage space, re. the Xmax I can't really say I like the looks compared to the Burgman even though I know they're good scooters.
Mr G, I would also consider a Kymco or Sym (Downtown?) at the right mileage and condition. re: the X10 glad the parts situation has improved I know they were famous for long lead times for parts at one stage. I'm surprised there are no posts on the X10, as you do still see a few around.

wightegi
Current Ride: Forza 300 Honda C90

Post by wightegi »

How about an MP3 if you have problems with a bit of mobility , no rush to put your leg down when you come to a stop, and easy to push around.

SH125Paul
Benefactor

Post by SH125Paul »

Sounds like a 400 Burger then... been about long enough... and for a reason... looks are subjective, its how they do whats asked of them... tool for the job?

2wheelover51

Post by 2wheelover51 »

Thanks for the replies.
Wightegi, I generally don't have mobility problems, I'm hoping this is temporary! Nothing against a 3 wheeler, but I still prefer 2 wheels (as my username suggests)
Paul, I think I prefer the 400 Burger. Parts will be more plentiful and lots of info. on the 'net. Are there any issues with the earlier Burgers? I prefer the looks over the X10 and the simplicity (lack of electronics) along with the great mpg.

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

The very very early Burgers had some issues, but they are 22 years old now. They were steadily improved over the years. The ones with the 397cc engine and twin front disk brakes (2008 on??) are probably better than the ones before.

2wheelover51

Post by 2wheelover51 »

Thanks Mr G.
It would be one of the twin disc models I will be getting. I'm looking at one in Marriots in Birkenhead which looks quite nice and is reasonably priced. Once the lockdown ends I might take a run up there for a test ride if it's still there, and maybe chop in the CBF. There seem to be lots for sale "up country" but very few down here in Dorset.

SH125Paul
Benefactor

Post by SH125Paul »

Not had a Burger... Worth a re-shout post 'Calling Burger 400 owners past and present' also a Burger section viewforum.php?f=49
Only thing i remember on the forum was steel belts n that was 600...
Mentioning Belts, always go OE or Bando for Honda, Mitsubishi for Yam.. not sure who OE is for Suzi...
It just aint worth the faff about fitting belts and uding a cheapy...
been about long enough and as you say spares easy enough...
i use fowlers parts for the diagrams n parts listings, makes things easy... can always try the part number on the 'Bay but fowlers are great...
also handy pics for a spot of DIY ala Plastic tabs n screws position to get the bidywork off, belt change or caliper of brake pad change, air n oil filter change, if no service handbook ot haynes manual available