Brakes

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
Data
Benefactor
Current Ride: 2016 Vespa GTS300ie abs asr

Re: Brakes

Post by Data »

EvilRacer329 wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 7:18 am Hey guys...did you say you put *copper grease* on the brake pistons? From my understanding, that's a *really* bad idea. Some mechanics I know won't even use copper grease on anything anywhere near the brake calipers, because of the risk of it getting to the brake seals themselves. Copper grease literally contains tiny pieces of copper, which can shred the seals over time. Ideally, you use red rubber grease, which is safe to use and sticky as all hell. If I were you, I'd strongly recommend pulling it all apart again and getting that copper grease out of there ASAP. Hopefully it hasn't gotten up-stream and contaminated the master-cylinder seals or anything in the ABS unit, if you have one.

Nick
Yeah, it's ok to use a smear of copperslip on the back of the brake pads. That's a preferred method of preventing brake squeal, squeaks etc. Techs use that method a lot but increasingly also use special self adhesive pads that stick to the back of the brake pad. If using copper-slip, use only a tiny amount, and it's safe. It doesn't go anywhere near the brake seals and copper-slip doesn't melt and spread if used correctly.

You should not put copperslip on the caliper pistons.
Probably not ugly enough for the 'Ugly Bunch'! :lol:

Been riding for 54 years & owned too many bikes to list here...