How long?

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
KEEFYBEE
Current Ride: Zontes ZT 125-M

How long?

Post by KEEFYBEE »

Currently running a 2013 Piaggio Fly 3v with about 23000 miles on the clock. I bought it around 3 and a half years in a very lightly used condition with only 1200 miles on it. i do an approximate 40 mile daily round trip when we are out of Lockdown . September 2020 bike broke down at work, wouldn't start. RAC got me home, turns out even after replacing the battery its the stator as its only running for short periods then it dies again. How long should these parts take to come from Piaggio in Italy. Admittedly Italy have had it as bad as the UK in terms of Covid with the production of parts. My bike dealer ordered one in September and its still showing No Stock. Any fellow Maxi-Muppetiers had any issues similar to this.

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Re: How long?

Post by MrGrumpy »

That's how it used to be with Piaggio! However, my experience when I owned the Beverly were much better. A 6 month wait is pretty disastrous - not sure what to suggest.

Rocketman122
Current Ride: eee

Post by Rocketman122 »

oh man that sucks. if they had the part fine, otherwise to wait for the dealer to get it is a hit or miss. shame you didnt get it from a seller on fleabay. if it didnt come in 40 days you could have opened a dispute, got your money back, reordered from another and have gotten it for certain. thats a long time to wait. can you cancel or did you pre pay?

capitano
Admin
Current Ride: Burgman + Cub90

Post by capitano »

MrGrumpy wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 11:42 am That's how it used to be with Piaggio!
... and still is with bells on according to critical friends of mine.

Data might be able to shed a bit of light on this, and offer some helpful advice.

Me, I'd be trawling ebay and the trade ads in MCN for breakers.

Funkycowie
Admin
Current Ride: Honda NC750x

Post by Funkycowie »

Can the stator not be rewound?
ImageImageImageImage
Past Bikes: Piaggio B125, Gilera Nexus 500, TMax MK3 in White, TMax MK3 in Yellow, TMax MK3 in Yellow, Honda NC750x in Blue...

wightegi
Current Ride: Forza 300 Honda C90

Post by wightegi »

ttps://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/154035975629?chn=ps& ... d=15403597 or how about a whole engine for £145 all on the bay

I just googled Piaggio Fly 125 3v stator .

Rocketman122
Current Ride: eee

Post by Rocketman122 »

wightegi wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 3:56 pm ttps://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/154035975629?chn=ps& ... d=15403597 or how about a whole engine for £145 all on the bay

I just googled Piaggio Fly 125 3v stator .
nice. but dont forget the gasket

Data
Benefactor
Current Ride: Royal Enfield 350 Meteor

Post by Data »

KEEFYBEE wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 11:26 am Currently running a 2013 Piaggio Fly 3v with about 23000 miles on the clock. I bought it around 3 and a half years in a very lightly used condition with only 1200 miles on it. i do an approximate 40 mile daily round trip when we are out of Lockdown . September 2020 bike broke down at work, wouldn't start. RAC got me home, turns out even after replacing the battery its the stator as its only running for short periods then it dies again. How long should these parts take to come from Piaggio in Italy. Admittedly Italy have had it as bad as the UK in terms of Covid with the production of parts. My bike dealer ordered one in September and its still showing No Stock. Any fellow Maxi-Muppetiers had any issues similar to this.
Sorry to hear this. I replaced a stator on a GT200 about 18 months ago and that took from memory 4 days ordered from main dealer. If it's coming from Italy then it's often 10-14days. However, that can vary at the best of times and I had parts come in from Italy in less than 10 days and sometimes it's been near 3 weeks. Just depends on what it is and whether they have to make it or not. Most parts are kept on the shelf by the UK importers, so your situation is a bit unfortunate they didn't have it on the shelf. However, with Covid it's anyones guess how long it will take. Most Piaggio parts are readily available these days as Piaggio UK put millions of pounds into updating their parts operation. I needed a new crankshaft and some other minor bits and full engine set of gaskets for a GT250 a couple of years ago and they arrived in just 2 days. So spending money on their parts service seems to have paid off. Sadly, not for you just now. Good luck and let us know when it arrives if you will.

PS. out of interest. The GT250 had over 80,000 genuine miles on the clock. The bike was running perfectly fine but the threads on the variator side of the crankshaft failed due to wear and tear from servicing (replacing belt & rollers etc) and the only real way to fix that is a new crank otherwise it's a bodge. Changed out the piston rings, roughened the cylinder bore, reground the valves and fitted new valve springs. Everything else in the motor was to spec. The motor had been treated with ZX1 metal treatment at 5k miles and every 25k miles since. It worked! Unless you do the job yourself it can be a little expensive but thousands cheaper than a new bike. Worth it if the bike is in good condition and this one was still pretty much like new at 12yrs old. This is why I love these Vespas! Uh oh, sorry going on a bit now! :o :lol:
Probably not ugly enough for the 'Ugly Bunch'! :lol:

Been riding for 54 years & owned too many bikes to list here...

mottza
Admin
Current Ride: 2023 Honda ADV350

Post by mottza »

West Country windings will rebuild a stator in days.
2023 Honda ADV350 & 2020 Honda Super Cub 125

Data
Benefactor
Current Ride: Royal Enfield 350 Meteor

Post by Data »

Chris, do they do bikes though? A lot of car and truck auto electrical places don't re-wind bike generators. I remember T & M Auto Electrics years ago didn't do bikes and neither did quite a few others. If West Country does bikes I can use them.
Probably not ugly enough for the 'Ugly Bunch'! :lol:

Been riding for 54 years & owned too many bikes to list here...