Back with a new scooter - its electric!

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
roadster
Benefactor
Current Ride: Silence S01

Back with a new scooter - its electric!

Post by roadster »

My short spell with no scooter is over sooner than I expected and its a Silence S01 100% electric. Not sure that its a maxi but the lines are blurred now.

First impressions are no different from my recent test ride. Its very quick to accelerate away and the twist grip acts more like a switch. In Eco mode it is a little more gentle but its never really progressive. Absolute top speed is limited to 62 mph in sport mode but speed holds up well on hills perhaps dropping to 55 on a typical long 1 in 15 gradient. Considering that the battery pack weighs around 40 Kg the overall weight and size is very manageable with good lock and there is even a reverse drive to get out of really tight spots. Suspension is a bit harsh but will probably ease off after some running in. Brakes are very good and that is essential with no engine braking whatsoever. The riding position is comfortable and there is a large flat floor, ideal for my average size and I think it would also suit those with shorter legs. Controlling the very light twistgrip ( think radio tuning knob if you remember those ) is a bit tricky as you rattle over bumpy roads because there is no friction damping and the grip itself is a hard plastic. Its a highly manoeuvrable ride which is really good fun because steering is so quick, probably even quicker than a bicycle.

Storage space under the seat is excellent and will be even better when I can get a rear rack to mount my top box. Shad make one but they are under the Covid cosh at the moment.

Photos and more details to follow.
Located on UK South Coast
SYM Joymax 125 and Honda CB300R. Previously Silence S01, Kymco AK550, Triumph Tiger 850, Triumph Street Twin etc...

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Re: Back with a new scooter - its electric!

Post by MrGrumpy »

Interesting....there was a report about them on Visordown the other day. Does it take a full face helmet under the seat? The big question is of course range, although it may not matter so much if you are only doing local runs. When you've run it a bit, tell us how far it goes....hopefully without running out!

StephenC
Benefactor
Current Ride: Kymco DT X360

Post by StephenC »

Very interested in these - keep us fully informed, good or bad :)
Expert in Close Quarters Combat Filtering
Can is not the same as Should

Stibbs
Benefactor
Current Ride: 2022 NSSForza350

Post by Stibbs »

Looks great for trips to shops and local commute but utterly useless for a ride out of more than about 30 miles? Then 30 miles to get home. In my experience of Leccy cars and cycles the indicated range is nowhere near the reality. Having said that, if you’ve bought it for aforementioned purposes then good on you. The future is electric but not for long range touring or “real world” use.

roadster
Benefactor
Current Ride: Silence S01

Post by roadster »

Stibbs wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 3:53 pm Looks great for trips to shops and local commute but utterly useless for a ride out of more than about 30 miles? Then 30 miles to get home. In my experience of Leccy cars and cycles the indicated range is nowhere near the reality. Having said that, if you’ve bought it for aforementioned purposes then good on you. The future is electric but not for long range touring or “real world” use.
Exactly so. Just for local running about. So far it looks like the range claims for this scooter are much more realistic than some others. The six or seven town centres in my area are within range and so are my usual coastal and countryside walking and recreation areas. Definitely not a machine for motorway use so I shall be sticking to other routes.
Located on UK South Coast
SYM Joymax 125 and Honda CB300R. Previously Silence S01, Kymco AK550, Triumph Tiger 850, Triumph Street Twin etc...

MrGrumpy
Benefactor

Post by MrGrumpy »

roadster wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 5:28 am
Stibbs wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 3:53 pm Looks great for trips to shops and local commute but utterly useless for a ride out of more than about 30 miles? Then 30 miles to get home. In my experience of Leccy cars and cycles the indicated range is nowhere near the reality. Having said that, if you’ve bought it for aforementioned purposes then good on you. The future is electric but not for long range touring or “real world” use.
Exactly so. Just for local running about. So far it looks like the range claims for this scooter are much more realistic than some others. The six or seven town centres in my area are within range and so are my usual coastal and countryside walking and recreation areas. Definitely not a machine for motorway use so I shall be sticking to other routes.
Yes....its obviously great for those sorts of trips - better than a petrol scoot in some respects. But useless for longer trips, so you need another scoot /bike/car whatever. That's still the snag with electric vehicles - they aren't yet the do everything mode that petrol is. I keep reading of exciting advances in battery technology, where battery capacity will be doubled, and charging times reduced to 10 mins - when these come on stream we may be in business.

Data
Benefactor
Current Ride: 2016 Vespa GTS300ie abs asr

Post by Data »

My bro in law has bought the new Kia E-Niro with 202hp and 300 mile range on a full charge. It goes 0-62mph in 7.2secs or there abouts. In fact Kia tell us it does 382 miles on a single charge in urban and town use. Overall since he has had it (8 months now) he averages 315 miles on a single charge. When doing mostly motorway work cruising at 65-70mph it returns anywhere between 265 to 284 miles on a single charge. It just depends on how you drive it and what gadgets you use in the same way it does in a petrol car. It charges up fast and a 10min fast charge put in 120-150 miles. The actual mileage you get in 10mins is dependant on the ambient temperature of the batteries. It costs nothing to charge if he goes around the corner and use the free faster charger system that's just been built near his home. Although he usually charges it at home and it costs him £6.30 on his Podpoint 7.2kw charger he has in the garage. That's really cheap motoring! ;)
Probably not ugly enough for the 'Ugly Bunch'! :lol:

Been riding for 54 years & owned too many bikes to list here...

MrGrumpy
Benefactor

Post by MrGrumpy »

Data wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 8:46 am My bro in law has bought the new Kia E-Niro with 202hp and 300 mile range on a full charge. It goes 0-62mph in 7.2secs or there abouts. In fact Kia tell us it does 382 miles on a single charge in urban and town use. Overall since he has had it (8 months now) he averages 315 miles on a single charge. When doing mostly motorway work cruising at 65-70mph it returns anywhere between 265 to 284 miles on a single charge.
But how much does it cost? Spec sounds nearly useful -I regularly have to do a 255 mile journey down South....and to go electric I'd need something that could guarantee that I'd get there on one charge ( allowing for any congestion induced diversions), at 70mph the whole way, in winter with the heating on and summer with the AirCon on, plus wipers, lights etc. And presumably the range and power of the batteries will decline over time, like phone batteries?

Stibbs
Benefactor
Current Ride: 2022 NSSForza350

Post by Stibbs »

But how much does it cost? Spec sounds nearly useful -I regularly have to do a 255 mile journey down South....and to go electric I'd need something that could guarantee that I'd get there on one charge ( allowing for any congestion induced diversions), at 70mph the whole way, in winter with the heating on and summer with the AirCon on, plus wipers, lights etc. And presumably the range and power of the batteries will decline over time, like phone batteries?
Yes that is another drawback of electrical battery. My e bike has to have replacement battery around four years old. They’re £350 a go! But, in fairness, I use it regularly and if you divide that sum into 48 months and put that money aside then it’s still good value for money. Also if you weigh up servicing costs for petrol/Diesel engines and associated items then it’s still cheap.

blackmoon181
Current Ride: SH300i + NC750x

Post by blackmoon181 »

thanks roadster. it would be great to see pics and keep us updated on how you find it. I want my NC750x to be my last ICE commuting bike. As someone who has a 60 mile dual carriageway commute and a 5k budget, a second hand zero s or ds is starting to get in the realms of possibilities. Great point about the longevity of batteries! When i last looked into it the battery may well be 50% of the purchase price of a car! its good to see manufacturers offering different sizes of batteries now catering to different users requirements and importantly cost. (Silence included) isn't the average workers commute pre covid obv something like 8-10 miles? Electric PTW's make much less sense at motorway speeds than cars due to their high drag coefficient (rider playing a big part of it) and weight having an adverse effect on handling. For the chap who enjoys touring it becomes much more challenging but not impossible. There is a chap in New Zealand with an Energica on Youtube (v expensive) who has shown its possible. good watch! In urban environments they make great sense with many chinese cities have massively decreased air pollution as a result of switching to them! With how popular and powerful electric bicycles have become, if i lived in a city i'd probably use one of them!