Used bike Warranties?

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
Bingo
Current Ride: BV 350 Honda Vision 110

Used bike Warranties?

Post by Bingo »

Finally ill be going to try a couple of scooters next week. A Piaggio Beverly 350ST and a Burgman 400

Both are used but in good condition with low mileage. Warranties from one dealer is 30 days, the other three months but as I live out in the sticks and I am unable to work on stuff myself partly due to disabilities but mainly down to being a mechanical ignoramus I wondered if I can purchase privately say a six month or twelve month warranty. I know you can do this for cars but what about bikes?

I have breakdown cover which supposedly covers all my vehicles but I got a bit of a shock the other week when the car had a problem. my garage is 17 miles away and the breakdown cover I have only covers the first ten miles to a garage so I had to pay the difference. (should have read the small print).

So I think I need better breakdown cover and if its possible a warranty should something major go wrong.

Any thoughts?

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Re: Used bike Warranties?

Post by MrGrumpy »

Not sure about Used bike warranties. My impression on all these warranties are that they may well not be worth much. They are insurance policies - like all insurance policies they are effectively a gamble by the insurer, so are priced so that (on average) the Insurer wins! From what I've seen, these things have SO many restrictions and exclusions - they will exclude anything that could possibly wear out, so they are really only going to cover something unexpected that goes band in a big way. And of course, the chances of this happening are, by definition, very small! And of course, you've already 'lost' by paying the premium. If there are any such policies, read the small print carefully!
Breakdown - I use the AA. I'm sure there are much much cheaper options, but they cover any vehicle you happen to be in, and I've found that they normally turn up quite quickly (5 minutes when my Tmax seized!). No crap about towing limits. The Tmax had to be trailered all the way back to York (40 miles) without a quibble.

Data
Benefactor
Current Ride: 2016 Vespa GTS300ie abs asr

Post by Data »

Yes you can buy used bike warranties. Give 'Warranty Direct' a call, they do cars and bikes. Just google them. I had a couple of long term car warranties with them and they were superb with their service and very clear what they would cover. I had a policy on my last Vstrom 1000GT. Although I didn't have to make a claim for the bike, I know other folks who did and they didn't quibble on anything. I also know folks who have had their cars covered by Warranty Direct and who had to make huge claims. Again they didn't quibble. Some after market warranties will replace some engine/transmission parts with reconditions units. Warranty Direct doesn't do that, or at least when I had their policy they didn't. They used brand new parts. There are other warranty companies too but I don't know how good they are. But start with WD. Good luck and let us know what you find.
Probably not ugly enough for the 'Ugly Bunch'! :lol:

Been riding for 54 years & owned too many bikes to list here...

Bingo
Current Ride: BV 350 Honda Vision 110

Post by Bingo »

Thanks. Will have a look at Warranty Direct.

2wheelover51
Current Ride: 2012 Burgman 400 Limited

Post by 2wheelover51 »

A dealer I used to buy from in Bournemouth used to sell with a 3 month warrantee on all their used bikes. Once day I asked him what it covered. Turned out to be engine and gearbox only. They didn't volunteer that information when you bought though. :?