Vespa 300 GTS HPE

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
iansoady
Current Ride: X-Max 250 + Norton ES2

Re: Vespa 300 GTS HPE

Post by iansoady »

I always give these filler cpas a little tweak with pliers so that some inquisitive child doesn't come along and unscrew them.....

smeghead
Benefactor
Current Ride: GTS 300 Touring

Post by smeghead »

Yes the oil filler design is pure shite. I've see a few posts where people have broken the tip off the dip stick whilst extracting it. I'm always very careful. Topping it up is another level of difficulty too. Mine did use a bit of oil but it's got 2600 miles up and seems to have settled down, last time I checked it it was fine. I have to say it's going beautifully, I had a ride out to Scarborough, Whitby and over the Yorkshire moors on Sunday morning. Left at 05:24, nice bacon sarni and a coffee in Scarborough and up the coast to Whitby, back via the moors, Pickering and the A64 to York, Selby and home. Great ride, scooter cope beautifully with all the roads including the 70mph ones. 180 miles in total. Happy days.

Data
Benefactor
Current Ride: 2016 Vespa GTS300ie abs asr

Post by Data »

That's lovely smeg! Glad you are enjoying the bike. ;)
Probably not ugly enough for the 'Ugly Bunch'! :lol:

Been riding for 54 years & owned too many bikes to list here...

smeghead
Benefactor

Post by smeghead »

Data wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 4:25 am That's lovely smeg! Glad you are enjoying the bike. ;)
It is great......however I'm lusting after a RE Bullet. I know I must have mental health issues.

Data
Benefactor
Current Ride: 2016 Vespa GTS300ie abs asr

Post by Data »

Haven't we all! :lol: :o
Probably not ugly enough for the 'Ugly Bunch'! :lol:

Been riding for 54 years & owned too many bikes to list here...

abitmad

Post by abitmad »

smeghead wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 3:30 am Yes the oil filler design is pure shite. I've see a few posts where people have broken the tip off the dip stick whilst extracting it. I'm always very careful. Topping it up is another level of difficulty too. Mine did use a bit of oil but it's got 2600 miles up and seems to have settled down, last time I checked it it was fine. I have to say it's going beautifully, I had a ride out to Scarborough, Whitby and over the Yorkshire moors on Sunday morning. Left at 05:24, nice bacon sarni and a coffee in Scarborough and up the coast to Whitby, back via the moors, Pickering and the A64 to York, Selby and home. Great ride, scooter cope beautifully with all the roads including the 70mph ones. 180 miles in total. Happy days.
Tis indeed a great scooter. Regarding topping up the oil, which I haven't had to do yet but was prepared, I already had a smallish standard shape plastic funnel and some flexible plastic tube lying around. As it happens the tubing just fitted tightly over the funnel spout and the other end can then be inserted into the filler hole. Should work just fine and due to the large range of flexibility this offers, and given the awkward location of the filler, maybe even better than the commercially available flexi funnels.

smeghead
Benefactor

Post by smeghead »

abitmad wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 4:55 am
smeghead wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 3:30 am Yes the oil filler design is pure shite. I've see a few posts where people have broken the tip off the dip stick whilst extracting it. I'm always very careful. Topping it up is another level of difficulty too. Mine did use a bit of oil but it's got 2600 miles up and seems to have settled down, last time I checked it it was fine. I have to say it's going beautifully, I had a ride out to Scarborough, Whitby and over the Yorkshire moors on Sunday morning. Left at 05:24, nice bacon sarni and a coffee in Scarborough and up the coast to Whitby, back via the moors, Pickering and the A64 to York, Selby and home. Great ride, scooter cope beautifully with all the roads including the 70mph ones. 180 miles in total. Happy days.
Tis indeed a great scooter. Regarding topping up the oil, which I haven't had to do yet but was prepared, I already had a smallish standard shape plastic funnel and some flexible plastic tube lying around. As it happens the tubing just fitted tightly over the funnel spout and the other end can then be inserted into the filler hole. Should work just fine.
I may have to sort this out.

abitmad

Post by abitmad »

Just ordered the medium Vespa screen for my Touring model. It came with a flyscreen from new but, especially with colder weather approaching, find that this creates too much uncomfortable windblast at speed. Most of my journeys are quite fast, I don't do much town riding. It was a choice between the medium or full size screen. My vanity prevents me from looking like a knob which the full screen does, so I've opted for the medium after reading some reports on the US Modern Vespa site. I'll see though how effective it is. Bit of a delay at present from the supplier, as with most things these days.

Choice was between Vespa own brand and Faco. The latter is much cheaper but I've opted for the Vespa version as I'm not concerned with price provided dearer means better, and the Vespa is reportedly more rigid.

smeghead
Benefactor

Post by smeghead »

abitmad wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 5:47 am Just ordered the medium Vespa screen for my Touring model. It came with a flyscreen from new but, especially with colder weather approaching, find that this creates too much uncomfortable windblast at speed. Most of my journeys are quite fast, I don't do much town riding. It was a choice between the medium or full size screen. My vanity prevents me from looking like a knob which the full screen does, so I've opted for the medium after reading some reports on the US Modern Vespa site. I'll see though how effective it is. Bit of a delay at present from the supplier, as with most things these days.

Choice was between Vespa own brand and Faco. The latter is much cheaper but I've opted for the Vespa version as I'm not concerned with price provided dearer means better, and the Vespa is reportedly more rigid.
It should be OK, I like the Faco one because it's adjustable.

Scootles
Benefactor
Current Ride: Vespa GTS 300

Post by Scootles »

I have the Faco adjustable which is good most of the time but have recently bought a Vespa medium screen. It gives good body protection without being too high, and being wider gives better wind protection for the hands.
I stuck on a MRA laminar lip which was left over from a previous bike and today I was out cruising around at 60 mph with visor up.
Good screen.