Vespa 300 GTS HPE

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
abitmad

Vespa 300 GTS HPE

Post by abitmad »

I returned to scooterland a couple months ago with a new Vespa 300 GTS HPE. Last scooter was the great TMax but since then I have had several proper bikes, for want of a better term, until now when I decided to rescooter myself, though I did have a SuperCub for a while. I like to change bikes quite often. Still have a big bike as the Vespa doesn't satisfy all my lusts.

The Ves is one great scooter, doesn't compete with a TMax of course but it isn't meant to. I use an open face helmet which will fit in the boot but as most will know, it won't take a full face. Mine is the Touring version but all that really means is that it comes with the folding rear rack and a flyscreen. The skinflints at Piaggio no longer include the earlier toolkit, though you do get the C spanner to adjust the shocks. And you no longer get the seat rain cover which used to live in a hole under the seat. You still get the hole but no rain cover.

One thing I've noticed is the good fuel consumption. I'm purely a leisure rider and I don't care about mpg in the sense that it would ever influence my choice of bike, but I keep a detailed record out of curiosity. I ran it in by the book until the first service and was getting around 95mpg average due to the gentle riding and keeping the revs down. Since then, with no restrictions on revs, I've been getting 87mpg average, which includes a lot of fast riding. I thnk that's pretty good for a 278cc often ridden quite hard. For comparison my Triumph Speedmaster does about 60mpg av.

One thing I've found annoying is the speed limiter. At first I'd forgotten about it and thought there was something wrong with the bike as it was bouncing on and off it at the set speed. I was fuming and ready to go back to the shop and complain and then I remembered the limiter. Oddly it's not a rev limiter like other bikes have, it's an actual speed limiter. Not come across that before and I've had a vast number of different bikes.

Deleted User 18446

Re: Vespa 300 GTS HPE

Post by Deleted User 18446 »

How's oil consumption I read some new hpe engines using bit of oil

abitmad

Post by abitmad »

I've heard that too. The oil was changed at the first service and since then I've done about 300 miles and the oil level is still good. However I don't know the exact level it was at following the service so I don't know whether it may have dropped since then. Need to do a higher mileage to see if it does consume oil.

Deleted User 18446

I'm on waiting list for a ticket for Eurovespa rally Portugal 🇵🇹 2022. May get another Vespa if get a ticket lol 😆 Tmax booked on ferry at the moment 😅

smeghead
Benefactor
Current Ride: GTS 300 Touring

Post by smeghead »

They are great. I'm on my second, a HPE 300.
I uses a little oil but less than it did so I guess it's bedding in nicely. Like the OP I ran mine in to the book and the fuel consumption was around 93 mpg. I now get 85 to 90 depending upon what I'm doing. I love mine, it's nimble and easy around town but easily capable of long runs. Spot on.

Data
Benefactor
Current Ride: 2016 Vespa GTS300ie abs asr

Post by Data »

Congrats for buying one of the best (and most popular) midrange scooters on the market. You won't regret it. I suspect you will grow to love the Vespa more and more. Most folks do after they get one. I got rid of all my big bikes and my 400 Burgman in favour of just owning and riding the Vespa. It's pure joy to ride on short or very long trips and has more than adequate performance. It far out performs my GSX1400's and 1000cc Vstroms, not in outright performance of course, but in lots of other ways and returns 87mpg plus overall. If I don't go over 60mph I can rely on 90-92mpg. But it's real performance is in the way it goes. I repeat...it's a pure joy to ride!

Regarding your toollkit. My GTS 300 is a 2016 70th anniversary model. Even then, they only supplied a very basic toolkit and no seat protector. However, it did come with the rear folding rack, and special paint and badges, with a slightly different finish to the wheels. It also came with the much sought after genuine leather Vespa topcase. These are incredibly expensive to buy at over £350 each, so getting it as part of the new bike deal was quite something. I added the genuine Vespa mid-size screen which the dealer sold me (and fitted for free) at a very special rate since I bought it at the time of buying the new bike. It's a looker alright, but all the GTS bikes are and the HPE's are no exception.

Other things I've added are heated grips and a good front fender extender from ScooterLabs. I also took the precaution of 'rust proofing' the whole bike with Waxoyl. However, I wouild add that this is not a necessity as all the Vespas come with electrophoretic primer which prevents rusting in places you cannot see. Got to say that the finish is really good on the bike and everywhere I checked before rustproofing was fully treated at the factory with the electrophoretic primer.

I expect you'll make up your mind on extra fitments as time goes by. But heated grips can be a really useful addition if you are going to use it in the winter, or even on long rides on a summers evening. The GTS has a 450w alternator so you can fit the heavier duty bike grips if you want, rather than the sometimes feeble scooter grips. But don't get anything that goes over 3.9amps at maximum draw. Scooter grips usually go to 3.2amps and bike grips normally upto 3.9.

Ok so going on a bit too much here. But nice to see another GTS on the site. Well done and don't be a stranger.
Probably not ugly enough for the 'Ugly Bunch'! :lol:

Been riding for 54 years & owned too many bikes to list here...

Deleted User 18446

I've just rejoined vespa club of britain £16 year .They do some good events as I said I asked few weeks ago to go on standby list for Portugal 2022 so need it for that .Its 75th anniversary of Vespa this year few events being put on as things open up .

Cloudswiper
Current Ride: TMAX 530 DX 2019

Post by Cloudswiper »

My 250 GTS would hit rev limiter at about 9,250rpm equivalent to about 79mph.
Otherwise a superb tourer that did Land End to John O'Groats with camping gear very easily and comfortably.
Laughed it's way up the Applecross Pass on the NC500
With my 20st on board!
Vespa flyscreen is perfect for me.
Rear footpeg extenders were crucial for my short wife - I'll be selling them soon as the Vespa is going to a new home.

smeghead
Benefactor
Current Ride: GTS 300 Touring

Post by smeghead »

abitmad wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 4:59 am I returned to scooterland a couple months ago with a new Vespa 300 GTS HPE. Last scooter was the great TMax but since then I have had several proper bikes, for want of a better term, until now when I decided to rescooter myself, though I did have a SuperCub for a while. I like to change bikes quite often. Still have a big bike as the Vespa doesn't satisfy all my lusts.

The Ves is one great scooter, doesn't compete with a TMax of course but it isn't meant to. I use an open face helmet which will fit in the boot but as most will know, it won't take a full face. Mine is the Touring version but all that really means is that it comes with the folding rear rack and a flyscreen. The skinflints at Piaggio no longer include the earlier toolkit, though you do get the C spanner to adjust the shocks. And you no longer get the seat rain cover which used to live in a hole under the seat. You still get the hole but no rain cover.

One thing I've noticed is the good fuel consumption. I'm purely a leisure rider and I don't care about mpg in the sense that it would ever influence my choice of bike, but I keep a detailed record out of curiosity. I ran it in by the book until the first service and was getting around 95mpg average due to the gentle riding and keeping the revs down. Since then, with no restrictions on revs, I've been getting 87mpg average, which includes a lot of fast riding. I thnk that's pretty good for a 278cc often ridden quite hard. For comparison my Triumph Speedmaster does about 60mpg av.

One thing I've found annoying is the speed limiter. At first I'd forgotten about it and thought there was something wrong with the bike as it was bouncing on and off it at the set speed. I was fuming and ready to go back to the shop and complain and then I remembered the limiter. Oddly it's not a rev limiter like other bikes have, it's an actual speed limiter. Not come across that before and I've had a vast number of different bikes.

Re. the rev limiter. There’s a device on the market which enables the hpe gts to go faster. I can’t get my head around how it works. Lots of folk have fitted these, others are worried about the warranty becoming invalid if it’s fitted. Data will be able to explain more.

https://www.rondaleyscooters.co.uk/scoo ... dring.html

Stibbs
Benefactor
Current Ride: 2022 NSSForza350

Post by Stibbs »

Smeg,

For an extra 6mph? I wouldn’t bother. However, I’ve not ridden the GTS so that may be a deal breaker.